Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

There are 1BRs for as low as about 1250 in The Bronx...actually I found a 1BR for 1150 in University Heights not too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
In Parkchester, the Bronx I believe 1 BRs start at $1,350 if rented directly from the Parkchester South or North Condominium. Private condo owners in Parkchester (like myself) might rent out for even less (I own one of the rare studios in Parkchester North - pretty big, has a foyer that can be used as a second small room - and I am renting it out for only $960 per month, plus tenant pays her own utilities. But my place is rented out for a long term). I love Parkchester (great historic urban architecture, very convenient to Manhattan, really affordable), and hope to live in that studio myself in retirement, but remain greatly concerned about safety of the area. It seems overall quite peaceful, populated largely by working folks minding their business and not causing problems, but every few months there is a report of some form of crime in the area, including seriously violent crimes too. That does worry me personally, but did not prevent me from buying this studio in 2008 in hope that the area will gradually improve, and get to be as safe as some areas of Queens mentioned on this tread. Actually, the main reason why I occasionally check out this Forum is to see if there are any new comments on the subject of Parkchester safety. It really is a great place to live in NYC, if only remnants of crime could be completely weeded out by the condo management and the police.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

So I think the best idea is actually a one bedroom that has a floor plan that lends itself to sharing with a roommate. This should not be impossible to find. Although... seems I just read one more post from the OP that he's looking for that $1600 to include furnishings, and that may be hard or impossible. I would say just buy cheap furniture and furnishings from local cheap furniture stores, or make one big run to Ikea. There are thousands of one-year-only international grad students facing this same challenge, and I have seen first hand that they just make one big IKEA run and are pretty much set up for the year.
I actually had a one bedroom apartment like that. It was a nice size too. The bedroom had a door, as did the living room. And neither room had any closets---there were three BIG closets in the hallway. The rooms could have easily fit a bed, a small couch and other furniture. Building had a daytime doorman. I think the rent is at about $1500-$1600 right now---our friend took over the apartment when we bought our coop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City