U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM

509 posts, read 2,127,689 times

Advertisements

Alright, so these aren't exactly "off the beaten path" but I don't see much talk about them on the forum. With the nicer weather nearing I'm lining up my itinerary of areas I want to check out (as always I have an eye on potential places to live) and would like to put the following areas on my list:

Prospect Lefferts Garden
Ditmas Park
Kensington

If anyone has any info on what the "prime" areas of the neighborhoods are, what areas to avoid, and anything I should check out locally (sites, shops, restaurants, bars) I would really appreciate it. It seems like these areas are attracting new residents but how are they safety-wise? If you were to do a walking tour of the area what route (roughly) would you take?

Thanks as always guys!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM

12,133 posts, read 22,899,007 times
I would recommend checking out the neigbhorhood blogs such as
across the park
Kensington (Brooklyn)
Ditmas Park Blog

PLG seemed safe enough when I was visiting 2 years ago but it seemed to me as you go south of there, it seemed to get a little dicier but still may not be unsafe, esp. during the day. Then once in Ditmas Park where the victorians are it's beautiful.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,293,249 times
I think Kensington is a jewel in the rough. There are some real architectural gems that lay in this area, beautiful Queen Anne Victorian houses. It is surrounded by some rough & tumble neighborhoods though.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,161,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
Alright, so these aren't exactly "off the beaten path" but I don't see much talk about them on the forum. With the nicer weather nearing I'm lining up my itinerary of areas I want to check out (as always I have an eye on potential places to live) and would like to put the following areas on my list:

Prospect Lefferts Garden
Ditmas Park
Kensington

If anyone has any info on what the "prime" areas of the neighborhoods are, what areas to avoid, and anything I should check out locally (sites, shops, restaurants, bars) I would really appreciate it. It seems like these areas are attracting new residents but how are they safety-wise? If you were to do a walking tour of the area what route (roughly) would you take?

Thanks as always guys!
It depends on what type of neighborhood you are interested in...

Are you into the non native/gentrifying scene in Brooklyn? Obviously from my posts, this "movement" is not my scene, and I dont like to contribute whatsoever. However you live in Fort Greene and seem to know the areas so what the heck am I hiding from you. You hit the nail on the head, these areas are "next". I would say anything "further out" on the fringes of the whole Park Slope/BQE/Brooklyn/Heights/Fort Greene general area...basically the other edges of Prospect Park. The homes are nice, Im sure everybody in Manhattan and Park Slope have all seen pictures online. For Kensington/Ditmas area stay west of Ocean Ave.

Other than that you can pretty much live the anti-Manhattan lifestyle farther out in the borough with Jews, Russians, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Chinese, Jamaicans, etc. But please do not be a long term Ohio tourist.

Last edited by DITC; 03-06-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM

I wouldn't neglect PLG just because it is located east of Ocean Ave.
And there is one stretch of Ocean Ave that is considered PLG. I looked at a place at 125Ocean Ave, considered to be one of the two best coop bldgs in that neighborhood. The other one is 50 Lefferts. A neighborhood to consider; in my opinion much more interesting than large parts of Kensington and Ditmas Park, though nothing wrong with those areas either. PLG has a reputation for some crime and I'm not sure how deserved this is, or how much crime has gone down over the years but obviously something to check out if you are going to live there. IMO it's best to be located near the Q and not the other lines that run there.

There are some "haters" out there, like check out this blog on a neighborhood bldg (though I am not actually sure if 10 midwood is technically in PLG or if it falls into another category)
10 Midwood Sucks.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I wouldn't neglect PLG just because it is located east of Ocean Ave.
And there is one stretch of Ocean Ave that is considered PLG. I looked at a place at 125Ocean Ave, considered to be one of the two best coop bldgs in that neighborhood. The other one is 50 Lefferts. A neighborhood to consider; in my opinion much more interesting than large parts of Kensington and Ditmas Park, though nothing wrong with those areas either. PLG has a reputation for some crime and I'm not sure how deserved this is, or how much crime has gone down over the years but obviously something to check out if you are going to live there. IMO it's best to be located near the Q and not the other lines that run there.

There are some "haters" out there, like check out this blog on a neighborhood bldg (though I am not actually sure if 10 midwood is technically in PLG or if it falls into another category)
10 Midwood Sucks.
Yeah I said west of Ocean for Kensington/ditmas referring more toward areas south of Caton Ave. Obviously Prospect Lefferts Gardens is east of Ocean Ave, still has some crime since its between Flatbush and Crown Heights, but those homes are too nice to be avoided in the future

Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 AM

509 posts, read 2,127,689 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. Henna, I think you could probably just give me your whole bookmark bar and I would find it useful.

DITC:
I wouldn't say that I'm a gentrifyer in the sense that you mean (although maybe I'm wrong). I'm not from New York but I am definitely not what you would think of as a "hipster". I could continue to live in Fort Greene if I wanted to and may very well continue doing so. I am interested in trying to find a decent neighborhood where I can spend less money on rent as I save for a place to buy. I'm not interested in "pioneering" necessarily and I would not want to live in Bushwick with the rest of the new-wave gentrifyers. I am just looking for a decent area, under an hour from East 59th St. that is *mostly* safe and still affordable. I have considered many areas in Queens as well but most of my friends are in Brooklyn so I am looking at some of these areas.

Aside from looking at potential habitats for myself I am also just interested in exploring the city and would like to get to ALL neighborhoods eventually. Are there any restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. in these areas I should check out when I visit? My usual routine is I just go walk around and have lunch somewhere and stop at the bar for a beer.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 AM

36 posts, read 142,098 times
I live in Kensignton and love it. We are pretty close to the F train and 10 minute walk to B and Q. One really good restaurant that I love is Thai Tony's on Fort Hamilton pkway. One of the best things is that Kensington is really close to Prospect Park. For groceries I do FreshDirect and go further south to the Flatbush Food Co-op, they have some great stuff there. I lived in Crown Heights before and Kensington is a million times better.

Daniel

Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Henna, I think you could probably just give me your whole bookmark bar and I would find it useful.

DITC:
I wouldn't say that I'm a gentrifyer in the sense that you mean (although maybe I'm wrong). I'm not from New York but I am definitely not what you would think of as a "hipster". I could continue to live in Fort Greene if I wanted to and may very well continue doing so. I am interested in trying to find a decent neighborhood where I can spend less money on rent as I save for a place to buy. I'm not interested in "pioneering" necessarily and I would not want to live in Bushwick with the rest of the new-wave gentrifyers. I am just looking for a decent area, under an hour from East 59th St. that is *mostly* safe and still affordable. I have considered many areas in Queens as well but most of my friends are in Brooklyn so I am looking at some of these areas.

Aside from looking at potential habitats for myself I am also just interested in exploring the city and would like to get to ALL neighborhoods eventually. Are there any restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. in these areas I should check out when I visit? My usual routine is I just go walk around and have lunch somewhere and stop at the bar for a beer.
I probably should have been more general and said yuppie (to include the gentrifying pioneers, professional newcomers/transients, etc)

Are you looking to settle in the city long term and be a part of the community? Or are you looking to spend 5-7 more years as a longer-term tourist and live in an area but not be a part of the community?

The reason many people get mad at the Manhattan professionals because if people such as yourself move in, often times they are not here to stay permanently, where as the previous residents were a more permanent fixture in the community. The community can go from a general locale of character to another sleepy bedroom spot for Manhattan with the typical invasion of Starbucks, Jamba Juice, etc that has high resident turnover. Now another community is full of a bunch of bland 20-30 somethings and becomes more like a Hoboken type environment that is void of family life and people of all ages. I say bland in relation to the fact that these neighborhoods lose things such as: the diversity, the unity, the quintessential working class characters that put NY on the map, the famous NY accent that lets you know youre in New York, the real mom and pop food joints going 60-70 years strong (and not some faux mom and pop ethnic food joint that has Nebraskan chefs cooking halal food). Remember when people across the country think of a New Yorker, its usually some crazy accent slick haired guy that is often played by a DeNiro, and they do not think of Manhattan types. Yuppie scenes can be had in any city, but the ethnic NY is unique to NY and once its gone, we have no alternative.

One guy came on here asking what there was to do in Brooklyn because he bought a "pied a terre" to use for a few days a month. This is a Manhattan thing, and most people are adamant about this type of stuff staying across the river if possible because Manhattan has plenty of real estate to be a yuppie and flaunt your wealth and play the "Im so cultured" game. Had to get my opinions out on this lol.

Back to your original topic, I would avoid trying to cover "ALL" neighborhoods. Certain places do not want you there and you have to respect that. Please for your own sake invest in a pair of uptowns (you should know what these are by now if you live in Brooklyn) and throw on some sweats if you want to go "exploring" so you dont stick out.

E 59th St is much more convenient to Queens.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM

oh, please. I'm so tired of this.

Obviously Jeffcon has alot to contribute. If you were on this board for longer than 10 minutes you would know that. So Jeffcon (someone who really knows his stuff about NY - and not just Manhattan and hip areas of Brooklyn) after being so generous with his time and giving advice to countless people on here, now wants some advice himself.

So he really doesn't deserve to be asked condescending questions like "Or are you looking to spend 5-7 more years as a longer-term tourist and live in an area but not be a part of the community?"

It's fine if you want to give the pied-a-terre guy a hard time for asking what's there to do in Brooklyn.

But please figure out who you are talking to before making these petty generalizations about everyone who is not a "native" New Yorker with a "New York" accent.

Last edited by Henna; 03-07-2008 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or