Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times

Advertisements

Aquarius- your opinion matters just as much as anyone else's. I think that may be part of it... the shrinking of the middle class. In fact, I'm willing to bet on it. I know I don't eat as many meals out as I used to and I'm still what you'd consider solidly middle class. I used to eat out more than I ate in. Now when I do eat out, I usually eat at inexpensive Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese places where I can get enough for several leftover meals cheaply. Nice restaurants are more of a rarity, I only go out for a really nice meal a few times a month and when I do it's generally something too time consuming or difficult to make on my own. My income hasn't changed. For me personally, it's more anxiety than anything else. Luxuries are always where you cut first. Hard to justify a $15 glass of wine and $40 steak when there's a butcher and a wine shoppe next door and you can get the same exact thing for a third or fourth the cost. Or when for the same amount I can have leftovers of Lo Mein, Mo Shu and Moo Goo Gai Pan and not have to grocery shop for an entire week. Not to mention places like Amazon Fresh, Peapod, and Blue Apron constantly running deals where you get a ton of food without ever setting foot in a store or restaurant, relatively cheaply where you know exactly what is going into your meal.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 04-19-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Don't you ever exhaust yourself being a broken record, Aquarius?

Even in my area not-so-trendy area, where there are a lot of restaurants/bars, plenty of restaurants seem to come and go (as usual), I cringe every time I see another bank (even random ones that I have never seen around before) or pharmacy open up.

I think about a lot of the diners that have closed in the past few years in South Brooklyn and not even in one neighborhood. I believe the one in Sheepshead is being replaced by enormous condos. The one in Kings Plaza was replaced by some CVS/Walgreens/WHATEVER it is. Seems to be a common trend.
This guy just complains everyday ad nauseam. Anyways, I didn't know that there was a diner in Kings Plaza, what was the name and how long ago was this?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
There aren't any mom&pop eats anymore, just establishment places and tiny subdivided eateries that seats a dozen. High end places will remain for business clientele. The good thing with high end places is that prices scare most tourists away.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 AM

212 posts, read 136,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
WD-50, Union Square Cafe, Telepan, the Campbell Apartment, the Four Seasons and many others have closed in the past year, usually increasing rents being the main reason but other reasons as well (see article)

Why Are So Many Great NYC Restaurants Closing? It's Not Just The Rent. - Food Republic

I've seen a few talented chefs leave for my hometown of Detroit....
You know things are bad when "talented chefs" start abandoning NYC for Detroit. The only thing worse would be losing one of our baseball teams to Mogadishu.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
This guy just complains everyday ad nauseam. Anyways, I didn't know that there was a diner in Kings Plaza, what was the name and how long ago was this?
My mistake---I meant the one across from Kings Plaza that was called Kings Plaza Diner, I believe.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
I mainly eat at immigrant owned ethnic restaurants, whether up in Harlem or in the outer boroughs. They aren't really affected. Demographic change is also to take place in Harlem and in most of Queens.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
I think the situation needs to be looked at because rents are out of control. We have too many neighborhoods where we see tons of empty store fronts. If the Duane Reade's and other box stores aren't biting or are jumping ship, how is a regular business supposed to be able to thrive and survive? I'm generally all for free markets, but this situation needs to be addressed. We have landlords sitting on empty store fronts receiving tax breaks and refusing to adjust rents to reasonable prices. The article talked about increased rents from around half a million to 3.7 million dollars. I understand that landlords need to make a profit and that they can charge what they want, but the greed is out of control. The only people suffering are the neighborhoods that are losing dining options. Dare I say it, but rents need to be capped in some way or changes need to be made in the tax breaks that landlords receive while their storefronts remain vacant.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Yes, because they're all losing more money than they are making.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I think the situation needs to be looked at because rents are out of control. We have too many neighborhoods where we see tons of empty store fronts. If the Duane Reade's and other box stores aren't biting or are jumping ship, how is a regular business supposed to be able to thrive and survive? I'm generally all for free markets, but this situation needs to be addressed. We have landlords sitting on empty store fronts receiving tax breaks and refusing to adjust rents to reasonable prices. The article talked about increased rents from around half a million to 3.7 million dollars. I understand that landlords need to make a profit and that they can charge what they want, but the greed is out of control. The only people suffering are the neighborhoods that are losing dining options. Dare I say it, but rents need to be capped in some way or changes need to be made in the tax breaks that landlords receive while their storefronts remain vacant.
Small businesses in those neighborhoods could have organized to stop this, but they were too busy blowing the likes of Guiliani and Bloomberg. With that said let the marketplace sort it out. If landlords have empty buildings that were hangouts for homeless and vermin, then I would say something should be done. But an empty but well maintained storefront should not be forcibly rented out. The landlords clearly prefer to hold out till they get the tenants they want.

I think the other issue is as some storefronts are small, it's in the landlords best interest not to rent it out and sell to a developer who will rid the space apartment and make much bigger retail space for a store. Some storefronts are too small to attract quality businesses.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
The marketplace cannot "sort it out" if the marketplace is contaminated ( skewed ) by tax incentives to keep places vacant.The same holds in the residential market. Landlords should not be encouraged to leave spaces (residential or commercial) empty by being able to write off the lost rent as a business loss. If this one form of welfare were eliminated both commercial and residential rents would probably go down.

Nobody should force landlords to rent anything but they should suffer normal consequences for not doing so instead of being rewarded.

The real estate industry will never allow this welfare to be taken away so no point getting too worked up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: