Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,856,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
But they have been getting safer... Back in the 70's to the 90's if the Bronx was it's own city it would have been right with Detroit as the most dangerous in the country. Those days are long gone. Major crime is down about 72% from 24 years ago... And still going down.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-pbbx.pdf

Now the Bronx is as safe as Boston and is safer than Orlando or San Antonio or San Francisco. Will it go back to prior to the 1960's when it was safer than Manhattan and Brooklyn? Very hard. Back then it was a place people fled to in order to escape the tenements and crime of Manhattan... But since then it's been the place the city loves to force the poor and the homeless (there are proportionally way more shelters than there should be). So even though it's starting to gentrify in the poorer areas - like Brownsville and East NY - there is a built in element the politicians won't let go of...

We are in a big city - so there will always be crime. I mean even in the financial District in the past week there was a slashing in the street and a shooting nearby another day. I'd like to see NY become as safe as Toronto or London... But I can't see how. Different culture in the US... Maybe I'll be proven wrong though.
That would be a good thing.
Agreed on the 80s and 90s is gone for the entire city.

Of course 30 years ago people would have said they can't see how crime in the Bronx is going to go down. But it went down and it's still going down.

Gangsters and other violent criminals need to be targeted by law enforcement. Non violent offenders should not be jailed. The war on drugs started in the 70s, and as large numbers of young people were imprisoned, it made it cool to go to jail. Plus they often left jail far worse than they came in. The war on drugs/mass incarceration RUINED inner cities, but we've been moving away from that.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 PM

165 posts, read 122,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
Nice post! The Bronx is a great place
It can be... Certainly more than it gets credit for. If they cleaned up the dope fiends off the streets of the South Bronx that would make it better. There is no sin in being poor - but there certainly is when you make people more miserable by living a garbage lifestyle. That said it's come a very long way... These European tourists seem to know what many in NY don't.

More Tour Companies Set Foot in South Bronx

These people remind me of when I was doing some volunteer work at the community garden at Padre Plaza in Mott Haven about 10 years ago. A small film crew from Holland came and asked if they could film. They said they were making a documentary about the resurgence in The South Bronx. They said it was big news in Europe about how the South Bronx was literally rising back from the ashes... I said - "wow they realize it and most New Yorkers don't"... Now - if the city would only stop adding methadone clinics and homeless shelters to an already burdened area. More people are working in the borough than at any time since they started taking those records... Working people don't want to see that stuff either... For the past 40 years it has had the worst employment figures in the state... That's changing... More rapidly than people realize. The people in the decent areas of the east, north and northwest have always had jobs... So the change must be in the poor areas of the South Bronx..

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 PM

329 posts, read 297,648 times
Quote:
It can be... Certainly more than it gets credit for. If they cleaned up the dope fiends off the streets of the South Bronx that would make it better. There is no sin in being poor - but there certainly is when you make people more miserable by living a garbage lifestyle. That said it's come a very long way... These European tourists seem to know what many in NY don't.

These people remind me of when I was doing some volunteer work at the community garden at Padre Plaza in Mott Haven about 10 years ago. A small film crew from Holland came and asked if they could film. They said they were making a documentary about the resurgence in The South Bronx. They said it was big news in Europe about how the South Bronx was literally rising back from the ashes... I said - "wow they realize it and most New Yorkers don't"... Now - if the city would only stop adding methadone clinics and homeless shelters to an already burdened area. More people are working in the borough than at any time since they started taking those records... Working people don't want to see that stuff either... For the past 40 years it has had the worst employment figures in the state... That's changing... More rapidly than people realize. The people in the decent areas of the east, north and northwest have always had jobs... So the change must be in the poor areas of the South Bronx..

Another great post

Old 04-29-2017, 09:30 PM

12,746 posts, read 8,195,587 times
Quote:

Where would you like such clinics to go? They should be placed close to where people need assistance the most, and that happens to be in most of the South Bronx, or are you claiming that homelessness and meth heads don't exist there?

Old 04-29-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:

In well off parts of town people have various psychological services and hospitals they can go to, as well as certain inpatient treatment options. So why wouldn't the South Bronx have methadone clinics? At least these days people are given help in order to get off drugs. In the 1980s there was little money spent on mental health and addiction.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where would you like such clinics to go? They should be placed close to where people need assistance the most, and that happens to be in most of the South Bronx, or are you claiming that homelessness and meth heads don't exist there?
Agreed. At least the city is putting resources into the problem. Years ago while maybe wealthy people could have gotten rehab, there were few to no outpatient mental health services aimed at working class or poor people. At least not until the person completely cracked up and had to be put in the mental hospital long term.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's a fact that when you measure the number of addicts and homeless - the South Bronx and Bronx overall have more than their fair share. Staten Island has LOADS of heroin addicts. How many methadone clinics?? Suffolk and Orange counties have LOADS of heroin addicts... How many do they have? You will find addicts from all three of those places put in shelters in The Bronx and treated at clinics there. NYC by law has to house homeless. All you have to do is show up. Look at the white couple from New England whose daughter was killed in that building in Hunts Point a few months ago. They didn't move to NY to live in Hunts Point. But when they ended up homeless they were placed in Hunts Point. Places like The Bowery and the Lower East Side and Upper West Side all used to have lots of addicts and homeless. They mostly got swept out - except for Hells Kitchen. Where do you think many of them ended up? Well at least the ones who stayed in the city.
To be fair the city does the same thing to East Harlem and Brownville and East NY.
But to me heroin addicts are different than homeless. I'm not a liberal when it comes to dealing with addicts. And I had two relatives who got addicted to crack back in the day. Let's just say our family didn't put up with it. But that's another issue..

Old 04-30-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In well off parts of town people have various psychological services and hospitals they can go to, as well as certain inpatient treatment options. So why wouldn't the South Bronx have methadone clinics? At least these days people are given help in order to get off drugs. In the 1980s there was little money spent on mental health and addiction.
There is a big difference between having them and being over saturated with them. How many deviants do you see sleeping on the streets of The Bowery anymore??? It's "accepted" by the city in East Harlem and Melrose - but not in The Bowery or Upper West Side anymore.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:39 AM

983 posts, read 925,591 times
More clinics attracts more druggies, there are more than enough clinics in neighborhoods like east harlem and the south bronx already for the LOCALS who need them. Putting more there is a bad idea.

Frankly, they should put new clinics upstate (and maybe relocate the old ones too), out of the city, where life is calmer, easier to adjust to, and an ex-addict may be able to actually afford rent.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
There is a big difference between having them and being over saturated with them. How many deviants do you see sleeping on the streets of The Bowery anymore??? It's "accepted" by the city in East Harlem and Melrose - but not in The Bowery or Upper West Side anymore.
You actually do see a lot of homeless people sleeping on the streets downtown, and in the area of the Bowery. That hasn't changed.

There's plenty of drugs in lower Manhattan too. You're naive if you think there aren't heavy users in wealthier neighborhoods.

Places like East Harlem and the South Bronx have various socioeconomic problems, and all that gets blamed on drug use. Severe addiction is generally because of existing mental illness, or existing feelings of worthlessness and it has to do with the greater society as a hole. Trying to sweep these problems under the rug won't make them go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City