Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
i used to live in riverdale. the most profound type of racism exists there. most are either wannabe upper west siders or wannabe larchmont or mamaroneck folks who are depressed or insolent because they haven't made it to that level, which has been expected of them. they vote democratic but for all other purposes are republican-like. a jeweler just got shot in the 235th street area and the palatial homes in fieldston, etc., are taxed far less than their counterparts in, say, scarsdale or rye. although leafy and scenic, i find the area to be psychologically unsettling and even creepy. what does everyone else think?
Everyone thinks that being obsessed with racism and seeing racism everywhere, clouds your mind. I hope one day you'll live in a true racist neighborhood to witness the real thing.
As for Riverdale, you can always move to greener pastures. My problem is the lack of good public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You're assuming that there's a great amount of people that work in Midtown West though. I don't think that's the case. It will however open up Riverdale to those that work near Penn Station or further on the West Side, but this is nothing earth shattering per se. As I said there are already two express buses serving Midtown West. It IS a form of transportation you know, even though people like you constantly harp on trains.
I didn't say buses aren't a form of transportation. I use buses a lot. What I said was that this is going to be even faster than express buses. It'd probably cut down from one / one and a half hour to twenty minutes when you're talking about BxM2 versus Metro-North for the basically equivalent 62nd and 34th street stops.

There is a large amount of people working in Midtown West (it's a part of Midtown which is the largest CBD by office space and jobs in the United States)--the direct connection, if it happens, would make Riverdale a very attractive option. Then there's the general idea that you can get to Midtown in general from either train at a great enough frequency that you can just show up to the station without thinking during rush hours and be able to hop on a train without worrying about timetables.

It's not earth-shattering like an asteroid coming in or the reversal of aging--it's just a likely faster transit option to jobs that is less susceptible to traffic.

Generally, a much shorter commute time and more frequent service to your job is something that people value, so I don't think I'm stretching it here.

The stretch is that this thing will ever be completed in your lifetime.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I didn't say buses aren't a form of transportation. I use buses a lot. What I said was that this is going to be even faster than express buses. It'd probably cut down from one / one and a half hour to twenty minutes when you're talking about BxM2 versus Metro-North for the basically equivalent 62nd and 34th street stops.

There is a large amount of people working in Midtown West (it's a part of Midtown which is the largest CBD by office space and jobs in the United States)--the direct connection, if it happens, would make Riverdale a very attractive option.

It's not earth-shattering like an asteroid coming in or the reversal of aging--it's just a likely faster transit option to jobs that is less susceptible to traffic.

Generally, a much shorter commute time and more frequent service to your job is something that people value, so I don't think I'm stretching it here.

The stretch is that this thing will ever be completed in your lifetime.
What you're forgetting is that people have to first get to the Metro North station THEN get the train, and unless you live right near one of the stations, that's a good 15 - 20 minutes right there, then the ride to Penn Station will likely be 20 - 25 minutes, so roughly 45 minutes total. It can be faster than the BxM2 bus if there is traffic, and the BxM18 bus is roughly the same without traffic. I didn't say that a lot of people didn't work in Midtown West. I work in the area myself (Midtown East around Park Avenue). What I said was that there aren't that many people in Riverdale working in Midtown West that aren't already using the BxM2, BxM18 or Metro North train to Grand Central. Believe me I know the area very well. I know of an middle aged couple that works in Midtown West at a law firm and take Metro North to and from Riverdale. They walk down to the Spuyten Duyvil station every morning and take the train to Grand Central and just walk over to 6th Avenue (their office is in the 40s). It isn't that terrible of a walk. What you're forgetting is that Penn Station is by 34th street and 7th Avenue, so for some it will just give them more service, but they may have to walk more from Penn Station, but I do agree about it becoming more attractive. The thing is though, some people can't get over the obsession with the subway and they keep saying that the area doesn't have good transportation. What they're really saying is that the area doesn't have accessible subway service or cheap transportation. There is a difference, and because of the cost, that's why I don't expect this to be a major game changer. That and the area being compromised mostly of home owners instead of renters.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What you're forgetting is that people have to first get to the Metro North station THEN get the train, and unless you live right near one of the stations, that's a good 15 - 20 minutes right there, then the ride to Penn Station will likely be 20 - 25 minutes, so roughly 45 minutes total. It can be faster than the BxM2 bus if there is traffic, and the BxM18 bus is roughly the same without traffic. I didn't say that a lot of people didn't work in Midtown West. I work in the area myself (Midtown East around Park Avenue). What I said was that there aren't that many people in Riverdale working in Midtown West that aren't already using the BxM2, BxM18 or Metro North train to Grand Central. Believe me I know the area very well. I know of an middle aged couple that works in Midtown West at a law firm and take Metro North to and from Riverdale. They walk down to the Spuyten Duyvil station every morning and take the train to Grand Central and just walk over to 6th Avenue (their office is in the 40s). It isn't that terrible of a walk. What you're forgetting is that Penn Station is by 34th street and 7th Avenue, so for some it will just give them more service, but they may have to walk more from Penn Station, but I do agree about it becoming more attractive. The thing is though, some people can't get over the obsession with the subway and they keep saying that the area doesn't have good transportation. What they're really saying is that the area doesn't have accessible subway service or cheap transportation. There is a difference, and because of the cost, that's why I don't expect this to be a major game changer. That and the area being compromised mostly of home owners instead of renters.
I'm not forgetting that. People also have to reach the express bus stops (though they are more numerous). It is mostly comprised of home owners--so people looking to purchase homes (the same kind of people that have the economic wherewithal to purchase Metro-North tickets for their commute) will be more likely to consider Riverdale as a neighborhood to purchase in and the greater pool of people who would find it reasonable should theoretically drive up prices as well as induce developers to create more units where they can.

Overall, it will make a difference and we agree on that. I think what we disagree on is the magnitude of difference, that's all.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not forgetting that. People also have to reach the express bus stops (though they are more numerous). It is mostly comprised of home owners--so people looking to purchase homes (the same kind of people that have the economic wherewithal to purchase Metro-North tickets for their commute) will be more likely to consider Riverdale as a neighborhood to purchase in and the greater pool of people who would find it reasonable should theoretically drive up prices as well as induce developers to create more units where they can.

Overall, it will make a difference and we agree on that. I think what we disagree on is the magnitude of difference, that's all.
Yes, especially we're talking about "gentrification" which Riverdale does NOT need. It's not just the homeowner issue, but Riverdale is not a "hip" neighborhood. It is a neighborhood for those who appreciate its natural beauty and also compromised mainly of single professionals, families and those that are retired. I have met quite a few people that moved to Riverdale without doing their homework and left because they were expecting a different type of lifestyle. This is another reason why I don't think it will have a huge impact. The residents don't want tons of development and fight tooth and nail to keep it that way so that things stay within proportion. For that there is Manhattan or some other "hip" neighborhood. The fact that there isn't a subway is exactly what many residents like about the area. It keeps it from being overdeveloped like other parts of the city, and that's a good thing.

Besides look at most neighborhoods that have subway access and how the subways run now compared to before. Most subway lines can't handle the crowds now.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, especially we're talking about "gentrification" which Riverdale does NOT need. It's not just the homeowner issue, but Riverdale is not a "hip" neighborhood. It is a neighborhood for those who appreciate its natural beauty and also compromised mainly of single professionals, families and those that are retired. I have met quite a few people that moved to Riverdale without doing their homework and left because they were expecting a different type of lifestyle. This is another reason why I don't think it will have a huge impact. The residents don't want tons of development and fight tooth and nail to keep it that way so that things stay within proportion. For that there is Manhattan or some other "hip" neighborhood. The fact that there isn't a subway is exactly what many residents like about the area. It keeps it from being overdeveloped like other parts of the city, and that's a good thing.

Besides look at most neighborhoods that have subway access and how the subways run now compared to before. Most subway lines can't handle the crowds now.
I agree that lack of subway service basically deters people especially in lower income brackets. I do think this will cause renewed interest in developers to try to build new "luxury" developments, but I don't know how successful they'd be. I'm guessing not very and meanwhile home prices in Riverdale will rise considerably (again, if this ever comes to fruition).

Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I agree that lack of subway service basically deters people especially in lower income brackets. I do think this will cause renewed interest in developers to try to build new "luxury" developments, but I don't know how successful they'd be. I'm guessing not very and meanwhile home prices in Riverdale will rise considerably (again, if this ever comes to fruition).
There aren't too many places to build in Riverdale because there are already numerous plans in the works for luxury buildings to get in before building restrictions take hold and what is available is expensive because the land is at a premium in the neighborhood. The community successfully blocked Montefiore from building an outpatient site on Riverdale Avenue in Central Riverdale, and so Montefiore sold the land to developers which have promised to build luxury housing. There are also plans in the works for several new luxury buildings along and near Henry Hudson Parkway. One of them has been finished (Riverdale Parc) and has studios starting at around $1,900, one bedrooms for $2,650 and two bedrooms for around $3,650. When you factor in the transportation for say Metro North, it is only slightly cheaper than some areas in Manhattan. I don't expect the shopping areas in the vicinity to improve enough to attract large amounts of people to really transform the area, and because so many homeowners are there, they'll be able to control how much development takes place (they already have).

Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,365 times
Quote:
Yes, Riverdale is not a "hip" neighborhood. It is a neighborhood for those who appreciate its natural beauty and also compromised mainly of single professionals, families and those that are retired. .
Lol the fuuck? "Natural beauty" you make it sound like yellow stone national park... river dale is a dump, it's just so happens to be on a hill and inhabited by rich people

Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Lol the fuuck? "Natural beauty" you make it sound like yellow stone national park... river dale is a dump, it's just so happens to be on a hill and inhabited by rich people
How can it be a dump and yet be inhabited by rich people as you claim?

A neighborhood with mansions and river views qualifies as a dump? I guess Forest Hills Gardens is a dump too and one that you can't afford.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 04-27-2017 at 05:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City