Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't know if that's the case. The older Hispanics in particular, I found some to be quite racist and condescending, and we can use the Dominicans as an example. When they first starting immigrating here in large numbers, they really thought they were hot stuff (as in superior to black people), and I know this because I witnessed it first hand even in college with younger Dominicans. I had a lot of Dominican friends and some of the things they would say about black people (often times in Spanish or in English) was eye opening, but for them they didn't think it was racist. They would laugh as if it was funny. Regarding blacks having skeletons in their closet, there's no denying that either.
African Americans will say very nasty things about other "blacks" including using the n-word, among other very derogatory things. Someone will say, look at this nappy headed Black ass (and this is an African American saying such derogatory things about other African Americans).

Wherever there are a lot of people of African descent, and this is true in South Asia, it's true there is colorism and preference for lighter people. In parts of Africa itself it's often considered low class to be very dark skinned, and people bleach themselves to have lighter skin.

There is NOTHING uniquely racist about Dominicans, or any other group of Latinos. There just isn't. That's not to say a Latino can say something racist. Anyone could. But is there a special problem? No.

No African American who goes to say the Dominican Republic, Colombia, or any other country with lots of Black people will have any special problems. You would blend in perfectly well with the people there.

Dominicans and African Americans often do live together in the same neighborhood and yes people are friends with each other and have children together.

Klassykh has problems with Dominicans, but those are her personally problems. She has problems with lots of other African Americans, and talks like an old conservative from the South which is were her mindset is. This type of African American is confused by meeting any group of Black people from any other country, because to these people Black culture=Southern and they were poorly educated and poorly exposed to the rest of the world.

Lastly, an older Dominican talks **** about an African American. Really who cares?

I don't think Dominicans were ever able to lock up large numbers of African Americans in jail, shoot them, deny them employment en mass, etc. The same could be said of African Americans with their anti immigrant prejudices.

In order to deflect away from their own racist, some white americans are desperate to try to point out racism in other countries and to paint those people with extremely broad brushes. Klassyk has no more than superficial interactions with Dominicans. You could ask African Americans who have broader experience in dealing with Dominicans, both here and abroad and no I'm not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
African Americans will say very nasty things about other "blacks" including using the n-word, among other very derogatory things. Someone will say, look at this nappy headed Black ass (and this is an African American saying such derogatory things about other African Americans).

Wherever there are a lot of people of African descent, and this is true in South Asia, it's true there is colorism and preference for lighter people. In parts of Africa itself it's often considered low class to be very dark skinned, and people bleach themselves to have lighter skin.

There is NOTHING uniquely racist about Dominicans, or any other group of Latinos. There just isn't. That's not to say a Latino can say something racist. Anyone could. But is there a special problem? No.

No African American who goes to say the Dominican Republic, Colombia, or any other country with lots of Black people will have any special problems. You would blend in perfectly well with the people there.

Dominicans and African Americans often do live together in the same neighborhood and yes people are friends with each other and have children together.

Klassykh has problems with Dominicans, but those are her personally problems. She has problems with lots of other African Americans, and talks like an old conservative from the South which is were her mindset is. This type of African American is confused by meeting any group of Black people from any other country, because to these people Black culture=Southern and they were poorly educated and poorly exposed to the rest of the world.

Lastly, an older Dominican talks **** about an African American. Really who cares?

I don't think Dominicans were ever able to lock up large numbers of African Americans in jail, shoot them, deny them employment en mass, etc. The same could be said of African Americans with their anti immigrant prejudices.

In order to deflect away from their own racist, some white americans are desperate to try to point out racism in other countries and to paint those people with extremely broad brushes. Klassyk has no more than superficial interactions with Dominicans. You could ask African Americans who have broader experience in dealing with Dominicans, both here and abroad and no I'm not the only one.
My issue with you is first you tried to denied there was racism, and now you're saying it exists, but it's no different than other groups, which is true to an extent. It's just that it's improved a bit more.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
My issue with you is first you tried to denied there was racism, and now you're saying it exists, but it's no different than other groups, which is true to an extent. It's just that it's improved a bit more.
I never denied there was racism. You claimed that no Black Latinos ever called themselves Black, and I denied that and I gave specific examples to the contrary on the huge Afro Latino/ Black/whatever identity across Latin America and among Latinos in the US. That doesn't mean all Latinos are on board, but a claim that all Black Latinos don't want to be called or don't know that they are Black is inaccurate, particularly when they are called and call each other Black in the context of their own communities, and in the context when Latinos have heavy involvement in Black Lives Matter and other Black movements against mass incarceration. That doesn't mean that there are no Latino racists, or that there are no Latinos suffering from self hate or wanting to deny African ancestry, but as I noted there are African Americans and Anglo Caribbeans that deny African ancestry and that suffer from self hate.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I never denied there was racism. You claimed that no Black Latinos ever called themselves Black, and I denied that and I gave specific examples to the contrary on the huge Afro Latino/ Black/whatever identity across Latin America and among Latinos in the US. That doesn't mean all Latinos are on board, but a claim that all Black Latinos don't want to be called or don't know that they are Black is inaccurate, particularly when they are called and call each other Black in the context of their own communities, and in the context when Latinos have heavy involvement in Black Lives Matter and other Black movements against mass incarceration. That doesn't mean that there are no Latino racists, or that there are no Latinos suffering from self hate or wanting to deny African ancestry, but as I noted there are African Americans and Anglo Caribbeans that deny African ancestry and that suffer from self hate.
When did I say all? Don't put words in my mouth. What I said was that a good portion of them don't, particularly the ones that can pass or that are mixed. If they're pressed about then they may admit it. If you're as black as Wesley Snipes, it looks foolish trying to deny that you're black, and even then some of them try to deny it. What's funny to me is seeing Dominicans as dark as Wesley Snipes doing everything possible to show they're Dominican (like constantly talking about anything pointless thing just so that they can speak in Spanish and others can hear them) so as not to be mistaken as being African-Americans.

This reminds me of an incident years ago when I was ordering some food at a restaurant and these Dominicans dark as can be were speaking in Spanish and looking at me for confirmation if you will (I myself have been mistaken for a little of everything) and I just pretended that I didn't hear them and laughed to myself and thought, I don't care how much Spanish they speak, they're still black (albeit it Dominicans). I've also had conversations with other Dominicans where I was speaking about having saw someone that we both knew and they would refer to them as being "indio", which was hilarious because again, the guy was as black as can be (including his features).

Old 05-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
When did I say all? Don't put words in my mouth. What I said was that a good portion of them don't, particularly the ones that can pass or that are mixed. If they're pressed about then they may admit it. If you're as black as Wesley Snipes, it looks foolish trying to deny that you're black, and even then some of them try to deny it. What's funny to me is seeing Dominicans as dark as Wesley Snipes doing everything possible to show they're Dominican (like constantly talking about anything pointless thing just so that they can speak in Spanish and others can hear them) so as not to be mistaken as being African-Americans.

This reminds me of an incident years ago when I was ordering some food at a restaurant and these Dominicans dark as can be were speaking in Spanish and looking at me for confirmation if you will (I myself have been mistaken for a little of everything) and I just pretended that I didn't hear them and laughed to myself and thought, I don't care how much Spanish they speak, they're still black (albeit it Dominicans). I've also had conversations with other Dominicans where I was speaking about having saw someone that we both knew and they would refer to them as being "indio", which was hilarious because again, the guy was as black as can be (including his features).
I don't get why you're determined to claim this is a Dominican thing though. You certainly have a fair share of African Americans that claim to be Indian, and you'll find Jamaicans and other Caribbean people (Actually the Dominican Republic is a part of the Caribbean) who deny that they descend from African slaves. They'll say that they were already aware.

There's a pretty painful history there, and you have some Black people who for some obvious reasons simply don't want to acknowledge it, whether they are Dominican, Jamaican, African America, Haitian, or whatever.

Now can you please stop picking on Dominicans and hiding behind your Dominican girlfriend?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 PM

The bottom line, because of the negative portrayals and associations with Black, there are some people (Dominican, African American, Haitian, Jamaican, Colombian, Brazilian, or whatever) that simply don't want to be called what clearly has very negative associations with them.

Now if a particular Dominican doesn't want to be called something, you're a jerk for pressing the issue. Mind your business! Or keep it up till you meet one who cuts you!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I don't get why you're determined to claim this is a Dominican thing though. You certainly have a fair share of African Americans that claim to be Indian, and you'll find Jamaicans and other Caribbean people (Actually the Dominican Republic is a part of the Caribbean) who deny that they descend from African slaves. They'll say that they were already aware.

There's a pretty painful history there, and you have some Black people who for some obvious reasons simply don't want to acknowledge it, whether they are Dominican, Jamaican, African America, Haitian, or whatever.

Now can you please stop picking on Dominicans and hiding behind your Dominican girlfriend?
I didn't say it was a "Dominican" thing. I used examples. Had you admitted what Klassyhk and I said from the beginning we wouldn't have even reached this point.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was a "Dominican" thing. I used examples. Had you admitted what Klassyhk and I said from the beginning we wouldn't have even reached this point.
I don't think it's a bad idea that we got to this point actually. I think we covered a lot of stuff and that's good, and I think context was applied to certain subjects.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
NYC has a very fortunate "problem" to have, which is successful people (of all colors) want to live here. We could always be Baltimore where people can't get out fast enough.
The interesting thing about Baltimore's rapid population loss is that the White, Asian, and Hispanic populations are increasing (along with educational attainment, incomes, employment, etc.) The people leaving seem to be Black, never employed and, with extremely low educational attainment. People looking at the Census demographics are wondering where these people are going since they seem to have no means to live anywhere but Baltimore. How can they survive?

The city has 5,000 new housing units under construction - way more than at any time since the 1960's. Unfortunately, no amount of housing production can keep up with the very very large number of people (possibly 8,000 - 10,000 per year) leaving the city's existing housing stock. Interestingly, we can't find their newly abandoned houses - since the number of vacant buildings is steady. Again, it is as if the people leaving were never here. We also can't find them in surrounding counties, unless they all moved to the richest suburbs.

Perhaps the Census skeptics were right all along in their contention that the Obama administration was fudging the Census in favor of struggling cities in general and Baltimore in particular. If they did so, they seem to have only added warm bodies with no other characteristics. That way, if you subtract them out, you don't mess up your other numbers.

So the story in Baltimore seems to be a very rapid loss of the underclass along with a little bit of backfilling by other groups. Anyway, for the most part, what is going on in Baltimore isn't really gentrification since the the vulnerable population seems to be leaving first and then replaced later or not at all.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 710 times
It's something normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City