Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 AM

148 posts, read 130,569 times

Advertisements

Dont like white people moving in yo hood ?? How about paying yo damn rent !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:16 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,350,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglavidabroka View Post
Dont like white people moving in yo hood ?? How about paying yo damn rent !!!!
*LOL* Well cannot pay the rent if you're priced out or whatever, but am in agreement. Better yet, purchase this way you can't be priced out.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM

965 posts, read 1,118,039 times
Oh Lord, who the Hell revived this dead thread, and why? Let the dead rest in peace.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:29 PM

147 posts, read 229,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Oh Lord, who the Hell revived this dead thread, and why? Let the dead rest in peace.
Amen.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Let's not act as if manufacturing no longer happens here. Plenty of start-ups here. Just smaller now.
It's a shadow of what it used to be. The High Line is a remnant of a freight train that thstnpretty much went from downtown all the way uptown to the Bronx and beyond. South of 34th Street it was abandoned and The portion North of Penn Station was converted into Amtrak.

A few ships still dock in Brooklyn and Staten Island and Maspeth still has its share of industry. Hells Gate bridge still runs a few freight trains.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 AM

148 posts, read 130,569 times
https://youtu.be/2Ox1Tore9nw

Old 02-15-2023, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 1,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvoyage View Post
I've been in NYC for 28-years and this poster is absolutely correct. I actually don't like the gentrification, so getting out of my "yuppie" Manhattan neighborhood and exploring other neighborhoods has always been a real treat for me. If you deny the existence of "ghetto people" in NYC and the problems that result from their behavior, I'm really not sure what I can say to you.

I live in a "yuppie" neighborhood, even though I'm not a "yuppie." We have a Salvation Army in the neighborhood as well as a few soup kitchens in the area. These worthwhile services pull people down from the uptown "ghetto" areas, and the behavior I see is astounding. You can deny it all you want, but it is common knowledge, among even white liberals, although they would never say it. I'm not happy to say it, but it is the reality.

I used to go up to Harlem all the time because I shopped at a (now closed) Pathmark on 125th Street. Many people were decidedly hostile; one young black woman loudly called me a "white cracker," and she did it loud enough so the entire store heard her.

Another time, two young black women accidentally bumped into each other on the street. Well, you would have thought it was WW3. After ten minutes, the police had to be called to restore order. I take no please in assuring you that this is the reality, not the exception. I have lived in NYC all my adult life.
I was born and raised in NYC, I now live in GA and there are many white neighborhoods where the White Southerners are very hostile and will call you the "N" word in a minute and please don't make me go back in time to an older era. You want to talk about WW3 Just look at the drivers behind the wheel, (all races) who go crazy if you're driving too slow or trying to merge in. There are just as many WHITE people on welfare if not more and WHITE people who go to soup kitchens and that is the REALITY. This is 2023 and there is still a lot of racism in the world, and you are PROOF of this. No, you're not a Yuppie you are a FOOL.

Prejudice is a burden that affects every space in time – the past, present, and future. It’s disorienting and dangerous

Old 02-15-2023, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,715 posts, read 81,578,903 times
Large areas of Oakland, CA that used to be majority Black are now majority Hispanic. I don't know where they went, however.

https://eastbayexpress.com/the-east-...ographics-2-1/

Old 02-15-2023, 08:32 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthmom View Post
I was born and raised in NYC, I now live in GA and there are many white neighborhoods where the White Southerners are very hostile and will call you the "N" word in a minute and please don't make me go back in time to an older era. You want to talk about WW3 Just look at the drivers behind the wheel, (all races) who go crazy if you're driving too slow or trying to merge in. There are just as many WHITE people on welfare if not more and WHITE people who go to soup kitchens and that is the REALITY. This is 2023 and there is still a lot of racism in the world, and you are PROOF of this. No, you're not a Yuppie you are a FOOL.

Prejudice is a burden that affects every space in time – the past, present, and future. It’s disorienting and dangerous
The fact that bad redneck culture exists does not negate anything newvoyage said about bad ghetto culture

Old 02-16-2023, 05:47 AM

16,180 posts, read 6,932,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melle7790 View Post
This entire comment is predjudice and borderline racist. Yuppies do not make NYC safe and gentrified neighborhoods only make NYC "look safer". I've lived in NYC my entire life and I am black who lives in public housing. And my neighborhood is 100% gentrified and there's no difference really besides nicer stores. More expensive food. As for fashion, it is obvious you're not a native New Yorker. New York was built on difference and prides itself on such. Also, stop assuming poor people are slobs this is not true at all. I know many yuppies who don't care about themselves. Nyc is also a food hub. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean their fat. I myself work on the regular and I know many poor folk who take care of ourselves. Also the term "hood" has a different meaning here. Again we can see you're not from here. Hood means more than what you described. I think you should do your research before claiming you know about NYC from your visits. You need to live here before you can comment on our poor or our people of color. Also not everyone in public housing is poor. Especially not in my neighborhood. I see many people who live here who aren't, myself included. You're welcome to your opinion, but I hope for your sake you don't meet the "wrong New Yorker" who won't be so nice as I am when hearing ignorant crap like this.

My experience with Housing over 20 years
They are a mess.
It is easier to point fingers. Much harder to look in the mirror.

Perfect example:
Working in the muck and mire I have been always
enamored by the diamond that always stood out and shined.
Parts of housing ( certain buildings ) were dedicated only to seniors.
Why were they so well kept ? Simply put. The seniors made sure they stayed that way.
Seniors are an example of words my mom taught me as a child. " We may be poor but we are not pigs."
They do not break entrance doors, deal drugs in front of the building, litter the grounds,shoot each other over turf, break mailboxes,steal packages,graffiti in hallways, set garbage chutes on fire, defecate in stairwells,have sex on the roof tops, strip the building of its' copper, disrespect management and workers or set elevators on fire.
The list of vandalism and vulgarism is extensive. Ghetto is too clean of a word. I think the term Pigs serves as a better illustration than ghetto.

Folks should love and listen to seniors.
I always have and it paid off many times over.
They are wise beyond their years.
Now,stop and look at how they live.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
I thinks this would be a great place to start. Learn it. Live it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City