Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:03 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,140,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
This is the 6th time I am saying this, it will take years before Brooklyn completely goes
What does "completely goes" even mean?

I wouldn't want brooklyn to completely go. and in my opinion it is already unattainable for people, rent and housing price wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Please, cut it, I was there yesterday, Friday, and this gentifacation that you are talking about is so overrated
gentrification doesn't just mean seeing a whole bunch of white faces and upscale restaurants/bars everywhere.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,565,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because not everyone is a frightened silly twit! Those neighborhoods are close to the parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan were gentrified work, socialize, or go to school. As for students of schools like NYU and New School, just a room close to campus is at least 1500 a month. In Bedstuy a room is going to be 700 a month. It's a huge cost savings, and the student can easily use that money on other thing. It pays not to be bigoted/paranoid about crime and at least those young white people are open minded enough not to insist on living in all white neighborhood that they might not be able to afford. Brooklyn has the Pratt Institute, NYU Polytechnic, and LIU as well. This isn't counting medical residents, law firm clerks, or various other people completing some sort of training or internship. Not to mention newcomers to the city who need a cheap place to live until they move up in their careers.

Have you ever moved out of the city long term? If you have, unless you're super loaded, when you first move to a place you aren't getting the most exclusive neighborhoods. You live where you can afford to live.
I do live where I can afford to live, on the border of Midwood and Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Both neighborhoods are extremely low-crime and very affordable.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Paranoid. Unless you're drunk and passed out no one is likely to take your phone. That's the entire purpose of a phone, to use it when you want. You're stuck in the 80s.
its not about being paranoid, its about being aware. Most people are completely unaware of their surroundings when their face is plastered in their phones.

Im well out the 80's, i just took my common sense and street smarts with me.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 PM

329 posts, read 297,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
gentrification doesn't just mean seeing a whole bunch of white faces and upscale restaurants/bars everywhere.
The 7th time, it will take years before Brooklyn completely goes

Old 04-29-2017, 10:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,384,414 times
Quote:
Yesterday, I got off the train at Nostrand ave, walked around for 1 hour, and while I did see some, and, I repeat, some hipsters, the overwhelming majority of people I saw were people that were were originally from that nabe, and I asked my self, where is the gentifacation that everyone is talking about. It will take another 20 years before that nabe goes
How do you know that? Just because someone is black doesn't mean they're from there! There are quite a few Caribbean immigrants in pretty much any black neighborhood in NYC.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,384,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I do live where I can afford to live, on the border of Midwood and Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Both neighborhoods are extremely low-crime and very affordable.
Not so much anymore! One could not afford a 1BR in either neighborhood without a good salary or a roommate/significant other.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
then you have to include Bed-stuy with Ocean Hill/Clinton Hill. Point is Bed stuy touches about 6 trains, thats how vast it is.

You live in Ridgewood why would you go to bed stuy? I don't live in Bushwick, so i rarely go there. Most people that live in certain neighborhoods either stay local or go to Manhattan/Williamsburg.

Fulton is just getting started, don't know why Bushwick community allowed developers to build such horrible ugly, stucco buildings. Bed Stuy community board and representative weren't having it. Pretty much every development going up blends in with the neighborhood (limited stucco cheap housing).

housing stays forever, restaurants and other amenities come and go.
People from other neighborhoods go to Bushwick. They do not go to Bed-Stuy. Bed-Stuy has nice architecture. So do a lot of neighborhoods. It is a bedroom community. Long blocks of brownstones. Maybe one day it will have long blocks of rich people in these brownstones. I hope that comes true. Then it could be like Park Slope. I think Park Slope is boring.

Bushwick is for regular people. Lots of good regular people can gentrify a neighborhood, if not even more so than rich people. Bushwick has higher population density than Bed-Stuy. It has similiar density to that of Williamsburg. Its a busy area. The subways criss-cross right through Bushwick, where as in Bed-Stuy, the subway lines form a perimeter around the border of the neighborhood.

If you haven't noticed, Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, and Ridgewood share a street grid, a bus depot, and subway lines. Look on a map. Sometimes people know people that live in different neighborhoods. Sometimes we do community service in other nearby neighborhoods because we recognize the need. I don't know...there could be hundreds of reasons. Its a big city. You should travel it more. Take advantage of whats around. Speaking of, another good thing about Bushwick is how it hugs the boro border, so one can take advantage of what both Brooklyn and Queens has to offer.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:22 PM

329 posts, read 297,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How do you know that? Just because someone is black doesn't mean they're from there! There are quite a few Caribbean immigrants in pretty much any black neighborhood in NYC.
You too? I just call it as I see it. It will be a long time, before this gentifacation is completely done in Brooklyn

Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,565,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not so much anymore! One could not afford a 1BR in either neighborhood without a good salary or a roommate/significant other.
Agreed that NYC rental prices are ridiculous in general, but Midwood and Sheepshead Bay are pretty much among the cheapest neighborhoods in the city. And the safest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City