Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed that NYC rental prices are ridiculous in general, but Midwood and Sheepshead Bay are pretty much among the cheapest neighborhoods in the city. And the safest.
And they are pretty far from where many people need to go, which is why they are so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I do live where I can afford to live, on the border of Midwood and Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Both neighborhoods are extremely low-crime and very affordable.
And way too far to benefit from the expansion of the education sector in NYC. Not too many NYU students want to commute that far. Ditto Pratt or LIU students. Ditto recent college graduates. The needs of new arrivals and recent graduates to NYC are different from the needs of long term residents, and older white New Yorkers are often stuck in the 80s in their perception of NYC neighborhoods, and to a degree these prejudices are irrational.

Nothing is wrong where you live, and I'm happy you're good living there, but surely you can realize what's good for you isn't good for every other person at every other stage in their life.

You should actually be grateful your neighborhood is too far away to benefit from gentrification. You won't have the price increases of Bedstuy or Bushwick or Harlem or other "ghetto" neighborhoods that are gentrifying.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And way too far to benefit from the expansion of the education sector in NYC. Not too many NYU students want to commute that far. Ditto Pratt or LIU students. Ditto recent college graduates. The needs of new arrivals and recent graduates to NYC are different from the needs of long term residents, and older white New Yorkers are often stuck in the 80s in their perception of NYC neighborhoods, and to a degree these prejudices are irrational.

Nothing is wrong where you live, and I'm happy you're good living there, but surely you can realize what's good for you isn't good for every other person at every other stage in their life.

You should actually be grateful your neighborhood is too far away to benefit from gentrification. You won't have the price increases of Bedstuy or Bushwick or Harlem or other "ghetto" neighborhoods that are gentrifying.
Not sure why you always find the need to shout racism all the time. I personally would not raise my family in either Bushwick or Bed-Stuy. Its not out of racism, but due to the high crime and terrible schools that to this day continue to put a strain on the neighborhood. I do recognize the advancements these neighborhoods have made over the years in this space, but they still continue to have much higher crime rates than the rest of the city. I welcome their gentrification with open arms, but they still do have a ways to go.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The gentrification tends to be reasonably close to the G or A, C, or J, M, Z lines for some pretty obvious reasons. Working people tend to prefer to be close to a train.

Bedstuy is more residential. Bushwick has more industrial space they repurposed for theatre, music, art galleries, etc.
That's basically it. Bedstuy is overwhelmingly residential and kind of boring amenity wise. Nor does it have the advantage of being adjacent to Williamsburg and the L train

Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not sure why you always find the need to shout racism all the time. I personally would not raise my family in either Bushwick or Bed-Stuy. Its not out of racism, but due to the high crime and terrible schools that to this day continue to put a strain on the neighborhood. I do recognize the advancements these neighborhoods have made over the years in this space, but they still continue to have much higher crime rates than the rest of the city. I welcome their gentrification with open arms, but they still do have a ways to go.
I don't think anybody was making the claim that either one of them was a particularly great place to start a family. Both of them are still primarily the hood for lower income black and latino populations and secondarily for white kids in their post college 20's who don't appear to shave or shower daily and are trying to be edgy. I lived on Greene between Evergreen and Central for almost 3 years so I had a pretty good idea what is was and what it wasn't. The (Jew owned) building I lived in was basically all idiot white kids in their early 20's from the suburbs who partied a lot and the native neighbors across the street were serious ghetto trash I tried not to make direct eye contact with just to be on the safe side. (Nobody ever bothered me or called me a cracker though the way I have been tons of times in Harlem...native latino populations tend to ignore white americanos.)

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 04-30-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 08:30 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I don't think anybody was making the claim that either one of them was a particularly great place to start a family. Both of them are still primarily the hood for lower income black and latino populations and secondarily for white kids in their post college 20's who don't appear to shave or shower daily and are trying to be edgy. I lived on Greene between Evergreen and Central for almost 3 years so I had a pretty good idea what is was and what it wasn't. The (Jew owned) building I lived in was basically all idiot white kids in their early 20's from the suburbs who partied a lot and the native neighbors across the street where serious ghetto trash I tried not to make direct eye contact with just to be on the safe side. (Nobody ever bothered me or called me a cracker though the way I have been tons of times in Harlem...native latino populations tend to ignore white americanos.)
It's a lot more than that now with affluent families purchasing and moving into both neighborhoods over the last several years. It's by no means a majority of the population, but it's growing.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's basically it. Bedstuy is overwhelmingly residential and kind of boring amenity wise. Nor does it have the advantage of being adjacent to Williamsburg and the L train
Park slope isn't near the L train, Clinton hill isn't near the L train, boerum hill and downtown Brooklyn isn't near the L train, crown heights isn't near the L train.

Why is Williamsburg and L train, which is one of the most recent fully gentrified areas considered the staple when it wasn't even the first gentrified neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Many people don't even like the L train. I hate it it's always Crowded.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
People from other neighborhoods go to Bushwick. They do not go to Bed-Stuy. Bed-Stuy has nice architecture. So do a lot of neighborhoods. It is a bedroom community. Long blocks of brownstones. Maybe one day it will have long blocks of rich people in these brownstones. I hope that comes true. Then it could be like Park Slope. I think Park Slope is boring.

Bushwick is for regular people. Lots of good regular people can gentrify a neighborhood, if not even more so than rich people. Bushwick has higher population density than Bed-Stuy. It has similiar density to that of Williamsburg. Its a busy area. The subways criss-cross right through Bushwick, where as in Bed-Stuy, the subway lines form a perimeter around the border of the neighborhood.

If you haven't noticed, Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, and Ridgewood share a street grid, a bus depot, and subway lines. Look on a map. Sometimes people know people that live in different neighborhoods. Sometimes we do community service in other nearby neighborhoods because we recognize the need. I don't know...there could be hundreds of reasons. Its a big city. You should travel it more. Take advantage of whats around. Speaking of, another good thing about Bushwick is how it hugs the boro border, so one can take advantage of what both Brooklyn and Queens has to offer.
That's what I'm ssaying bushwick and bed stuy are by extension totally different areas. You can't compare park slope to Williamsburg. Attracts different people. Some people like the residential blocks with brownstones, those same brownstones in Manhattan are 10s of millions of dollars. Like I said looking to purchase a condo, bushwick is the better option as young people are constantly in and out of the area. Looking for long term investment in an area buying a multi family or single family home bed stuy is the better investment. Like I said bushwick has the hipster hype but bed stuy is just getting started so prices will rise as downtown Brooklyn becomes a job center. Bedstuy is 1-2 trains stops from jay St/Hoyt. Apple Store is also being built by the BAM center. Williamsburg is already at its potential. Go with the greater investment right now.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
it'd be great for both if the city were able to make the area around Broadway Junction into a major employment center.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Most of the people moving into Bedstuy or Bushwick aren't starting families. Most are young people in their 20s, either students or at the beginning of their careers.

I called out racism because it is accurately how some posters feel. They hate these neighborhoods so much it is inconceivable to them that it could be a good idea for SOME people to move to these neighborhoods.

I also pointed out that those gentrifiers who move in those neighborhoods were open minded in ways that some of the posters on this forum are not. The gentrifiers are moving to where they can AFFORD to live, and where it is CONVENIENT for them to live at that particular junction of their lives.

As for the schools issue, parents worked out whatever solutions they did in neighborhoods that are more advanced in their gentrification. The "children" are evoked by some people to hide behind BS arguments.

The bottom line is any recent arrival to NYC who isn't wealthy is going to have to live in a neighborhood with lots of immigrants AND/OR "ghetto people. Demographics that certain city data posters are revolted with the concept of having to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City