Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And way too far to benefit from the expansion of the education sector in NYC. Not too many NYU students want to commute that far. Ditto Pratt or LIU students. Ditto recent college graduates. The needs of new arrivals and recent graduates to NYC are different from the needs of long term residents, and older white New Yorkers are often stuck in the 80s in their perception of NYC neighborhoods, and to a degree these prejudices are irrational.

Nothing is wrong where you live, and I'm happy you're good living there, but surely you can realize what's good for you isn't good for every other person at every other stage in their life.

You should actually be grateful your neighborhood is too far away to benefit from gentrification. You won't have the price increases of Bedstuy or Bushwick or Harlem or other "ghetto" neighborhoods that are gentrifying.
Believe me I am grateful my neighborhood isn't gentrifying. It is solidly middle- and working-class. No projects, but no fancy/expensive apartment buildings.
There are actually very expensive mansions in the neighborhood - the Syrian Jewish community here is very wealthy. But that hasn't translated into expensive rental apartments, thankfully.

The neighborhood is great to rent in - safe, affordable, lots of amenities. Close to 4 subway trains.
I feel safe coming home after midnight and walking the 10-15 minutes home, no problem.
Never saw any suspicious activities/heard gunshots (G-d forbid),m etc.

However, since the neighborhood isn't likely to gentrify (any time soon at least), I wouldn't buy here because it won't go up in value as much as neighborhoods closer in to Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 11:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Believe me I am grateful my neighborhood isn't gentrifying. It is solidly middle- and working-class. No projects, but no fancy/expensive apartment buildings.
There are actually very expensive mansions in the neighborhood - the Syrian Jewish community here is very wealthy. But that hasn't translated into expensive rental apartments, thankfully.

The neighborhood is great to rent in - safe, affordable, lots of amenities. Close to 4 subway trains.
I feel safe coming home after midnight and walking the 10-15 minutes home, no problem.
Never saw any suspicious activities/heard gunshots (G-d forbid),m etc.

However, since the neighborhood isn't likely to gentrify (any time soon at least), I wouldn't buy here because it won't go up in value as much as neighborhoods closer in to Manhattan.
Most already middle to upper middle class neighborhoods like Forest Hills, Riverdale, Midwood, etc are too far away from the urban core to gentrify. Plus it costs a lot more to buy out middle class and upper middle class people, and there aren't a lot of vacant lots or empty industrial buildings.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Most already middle to upper middle class neighborhoods like Forest Hills, Riverdale, Midwood, etc are too far away from the urban core to gentrify. Plus it costs a lot more to buy out middle class and upper middle class people, and there aren't a lot of vacant lots or empty industrial buildings.
Forest Hills is 4 stops away from Manhattan on the E or F. Bed-Stuy is 4 stops away from Manhattan on the A.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Park slope isn't near the L train, Clinton hill isn't near the L train, boerum hill and downtown Brooklyn isn't near the L train, crown heights isn't near the L train.

Why is Williamsburg and L train, which is one of the most recent fully gentrified areas considered the staple when it wasn't even the first gentrified neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Many people don't even like the L train. I hate it it's always Crowded.
Park Slope has Prospect Park. Bed-Stuy doesn't.

Williamsburg (and Bushwick) both have density and post-industrial space.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
That's what I'm ssaying bushwick and bed stuy are by extension totally different areas. You can't compare park slope to Williamsburg. Attracts different people. Some people like the residential blocks with brownstones, those same brownstones in Manhattan are 10s of millions of dollars. Like I said looking to purchase a condo, bushwick is the better option as young people are constantly in and out of the area. Looking for long term investment in an area buying a multi family or single family home bed stuy is the better investment. Like I said bushwick has the hipster hype but bed stuy is just getting started so prices will rise as downtown Brooklyn becomes a job center. Bedstuy is 1-2 trains stops from jay St/Hoyt. Apple Store is also being built by the BAM center. Williamsburg is already at its potential. Go with the greater investment right now.
If a brownstone in Bed-Stuy is too expensive than it doesn't sound like a good investment. You might get a better return on a brick rowhouse or tenement building in Bushwick. Brick tenement building in Manhattan go for 10s of millions of dollars.

You can't argue that Williamsburg hit its potential but Downtown Brooklyn hasn't without rationale.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:07 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
Yesterday, I got off the train at Nostrand ave, walked around for 1 hour, and while I did see some, and, I repeat, some hipsters, the overwhelming majority of people I saw were people that were were originally from that nabe, and I asked my self, where is the gentifacation that everyone is talking about. It will take another 20 years before that nabe goes
You were walking along Fulton St? LOL!!! Of course it looked the same because not that much has changed along Fulton yet. You have to walk along the avenues: Franklin, Bedford, Tompkins, Lewis, Marcus Garvey, Nostrand, etc. and/or do a "Yelp Crawl" where you look up bars, restaurants, and coffee shops in the area. Also do a "new construction" building count along said avenues. Do that then come back and honestly tell me you don't see the changes...if you still say you don't, I call bull shyt.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Forest Hills is 4 stops away from Manhattan on the E or F. Bed-Stuy is 4 stops away from Manhattan on the A.
Bedstuy is one express stop away from Downtown Brooklyn (which has gentrified), and it borders gentrifying Clinton Hill. Forest Hills is further away from LIC (which has gentrified) and you have to go through a lot of uncool neighborhoods. Brooklyn for whatever reason took off in such away hipsters would rather live in Bushwick or Bedstuy than Forest Hills, even the ones with money. Only parts of Queens with cool factors are LIC and Astoria.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Bedstuy is one express stop away from Downtown Brooklyn (which has gentrified), and it borders gentrifying Clinton Hill. Forest Hills is further away from LIC (which has gentrified) and you have to go through a lot of uncool neighborhoods. Brooklyn for whatever reason took off in such away hipsters would rather live in Bushwick or Bedstuy than Forest Hills, even the ones with money. Only parts of Queens with cool factors are LIC and Astoria.
Downtown Brooklyn is not Manhattan. Nor is LIC.

Downtown Brooklyn is not cool. This whole cool factor think you speak of makes me want to throw up.

I can understand calling Bushwick and Bed-Stuy cool, but not Downtown Brooklyn. I think Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Woodside are much cooler than Downtown Brooklyn by any means.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:37 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
Quote:

Downtown Brooklyn is not cool. This whole cool factor think you speak of makes me want to throw up.

I can understand calling Bushwick and Bed-Stuy cool, but not Downtown Brooklyn. I think Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Woodside are much cooler than Downtown Brooklyn by any means.
Downtown Brooklyn is very close to Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) and Fort Greene park (and Fort Greene in general) which are "cool", cultural, etc.

I do agree that I don't understand why hipsters won't move to places like Elmhurst, Woodside, Sheepshead Bay, Bensonhurst - places that are affordable and safe.
Yet they would rather live in places like Bed Stuy, Harlem, Bushwick, which have high crime rates.
It's interesting to me, because my choice would always be to avoid high crime areas.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Downtown Brooklyn has the Brooklyn Academy of music and isn't far away from the Pratt Institute in Clinton Hill. Not to mention nearby museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City