Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Prospect Park is not why park slope gentrified. The proximity to Manhattan/boerum hill is why. Prospect park was just an extra, growing up prospect park which borders lefferts garden/crown heights as well was dangerous. Park slope was already gentrifying when that park wasn't safe to walk around.
If Park Slope (and Prospect Heights) didn't have the park nearby it would be the most boring plain vanilla neighborhood in the city. The park adds a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're an old lady stuck in the 90s.

What?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What?
I said you're an old woman stuck in the 90s, but that was a typo. I meant you're an old lady stuck in the 80s. People don't rush to the "safest" neighborhoods anymore. They consider convenience close to whatever they study, work, or socialize. That you can't seem to grasp why Harlem, Bedstuy, or Bushwick are gentrifying (there are perfectly rational reasons for this) kind of shows you stuck a good 30 to 40 years ago.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
When I see hipsters in Elmhurst or Flushing I give them way more props on the cool factor than the ones I see in Bushwick or Bed-Stuy. I find the Roosevelt ave neighborhoods from Sunnyside to Flushing fascinating, and the number one attraction in all of what the outerboros has to offer. But that's just me.

Regarding Ridgewood...I live in the historic district. So I get that people like the architectural details from the early 1900s that cheyenne2134 is talking about. I'm seeing displacement on my block on almost a weekly basis. Its even starting to push into Glendale. We probably have more breweries now then anywhere else in the city, and they seem to be constantly filming movies and TV shows all over the place.
Indie producers got priced out of Williamsburg, but now Bushwick has the post industrial space they like. Ditto for startup/tech sector, among others. Which is why you see the films and tv shows being filmed in Glendale, and why Glendale gets breweries (it has industrial space).

I love Central Queens, but Jackson Heights and Elmhurst have no industrial space, no major academic institutions, don't border a hot neighborhood (like LIC for example or even Astoria). There are no empty cheap buildings to be bought out and renovated.

With that said, I wouldn't say there's no gentrification in Central Queens either. It's just way behind but in recent years co-ops in Jackson Heights, Woodside, and Elmhurst have become a lot more popular, and prices have risen correspondingly. I do think ironically the large immigrant population, which kept Central Queens from becoming a hood, slows down the gentrification. Personally I like South American, South Asian, and East Asian food, but I think neighborhood bars, restaurants, and businesses are too exotic for many white americans. In the neighborhood Latino bars, I've seen Latino bartenders serve and pay more attention to their Latino customers and not pay so much attention to new white customers they didn't know. The music is all generally in Spanish, and if someone can't understand Spanish who really cares. Asian restaurants in Elmhurst and Flushing are aimed at nationals from whatever country in Asia, and this is very different from Chinese takeout food.

A lot of the property in Central Queens is owned by immigrants, and those who don't want to sell don't have to, and that's another factor delaying gentrification. It was easier for developers to buy properties in Harlem, Williamsburg, LIC, Bushwick, and Bedstuy because of either post industrial assets don't bring in money if their empty, and boarded up buildings and boarded up businesses (Harlem and Bedstuy) bring in no money either.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I said you're an old woman stuck in the 90s, but that was a typo. I meant you're an old lady stuck in the 80s. People don't rush to the "safest" neighborhoods anymore. They consider convenience close to whatever they study, work, or socialize. That you can't seem to grasp why Harlem, Bedstuy, or Bushwick are gentrifying (there are perfectly rational reasons for this) kind of shows you stuck a good 30 to 40 years ago.
'80's? '90's?

Low crime never goes out of style.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Both are **** holes.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I don't think it was so much of a greater valuation of convenience, or at least not entirely. A lot of it had to do with the nationwide plummet of inner city crime rates over the course of the 90s and 00s. I doubt that were the crime rates to have stayed high or increased that the pace of gentrification would have been remotely close to what's happened.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think it was so much of a greater valuation of convenience, or at least not entirely. A lot of it had to do with the nationwide plummet of inner city crime rates over the course of the 90s and 00s. I doubt that were the crime rates to have stayed high or increased that the pace of gentrification would have been remotely close to what's happened.
That's also true. Crime rates fell in NYC and in many other major cities. But that's also why I made the comment about being stuck in the 80s, because a certain poster acts as if these neighborhoods are undergoing the late 80s crack cocaine crime wave epidemic. They aren't. Things have improved.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
'80's? '90's?

Low crime never goes out of style.
Crime rates have dropped considerable in recent decades in NYC, and especially in those neighborhoods. You're stuck in the 80s.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Crime rates have dropped considerable in recent decades in NYC, and especially in those neighborhoods. You're stuck in the 80s.
No.

The crime rates are still highest (if lower than the 80s, but that's a low bar you're setting) in neighborhoods we've mentioned like Bed-Stuy, Harlem, Bushwick?

Why risk it when one can live a perfectly safe and affordable life in neighborhoods like Bensonhurst, Midwood, Sheepshead Bay, Woodside, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City