Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:10 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It will be incredibly busy. If you plan to visit the attractions like ESB deck and others get the express versions of the tickets if they are offered and its in the budget. Wait times could be up to 2 hours. You can enjpy plenty without these but most visitors plan on one or two usually.

Take the Staten Island Ferry for a good photo opportunity of her. Its free, so if anyone claims to have "tickets" they are scammers.
I have that feeling which is why I may have to talk my family into going on 6/3 instead of the saturday of a holiday weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I have that feeling which is why I may have to talk my family into going on 6/3 instead of the saturday of a holiday weekend.
Would be less busy for sure.Enjoy the visit either way though. Finally feels more like Spring so its a great time to visit. Weather is just about right.

I will add maybe take in a Baseball game if you like sports too. Great atmosphere at the games a lot if fun, many travelers also to mingle with.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Would be less busy for sure.Enjoy the visit either way though. Finally feels more like Spring so its a great time to visit. Weather is just about right.

I will add maybe take in a Baseball game if you like sports too. Great atmosphere at the games a lot if fun, many travelers also to mingle with.

We do plan to go on the Uptown Bus Tour which I think is about 2 hours and gives you the option to sit outside on the upper level on the bus.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:10 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
We do plan to go on the Uptown Bus Tour which I think is about 2 hours and gives you the option to sit outside on the upper level on the bus.
It is two to two and a half hours if you stay on for most bus companies like Greyline or Big Bus. Still good to hop off and get feet on the ground and take some photos. You will likely have to navigate crowds and lines for this so expect that also. Some buses have windows but it is not all the same being on top.

Most run till 6 pm this season and later afternoon is quieter as people get ready for dinner, shows and nightlife.

Make sure that camera has a fresh memory card. If you expect to take 200 photos, bet on closer to 300.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It is two to two and a half hours if you stay on for most bus companies like Greyline or Big Bus. Still good to hop off and get feet on the ground and take some photos. You will likely have to navigate crowds and lines for this so expect that also. Some buses have windows but it is not all the same being on top.

Most run till 6 pm this season and later afternoon is quieter as people get ready for dinner, shows and nightlife.

Make sure that camera has a fresh memory card. If you expect to take 200 photos, bet on closer to 300.

I plan to get a new charger and also a porter charger so I will be prepared to use the phone all day long for picture taking.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:11 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I'd hope that you would have already long since bought yourself a few guide books and decided for yourself what kinds of things excite and intrigue you. What you do first has no bearing, and probably will depend on the time of day and the weather, right?

Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 PM

2,018 posts, read 1,311,615 times
We visit New York City every year or so mostly to catch some Broadway shows and do some general hanging out.

I liked sitting on the bleachers at Times Square at night and watching the lights and people for a while.
It's kind of neat to take it all in, and later when you're back home watching some movie you'll realize "Hey! I was right there where that monster stomped the cars!".

Are you interested in art or science museums? I cannot skip the American Museum of Natural History.
American Museum of Natural History
nor this:
Home | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Have you thought about what you want to eat? They have some ordinary food at high prices, and they have some very good food at very high prices. I once did a somewhere in south Manhattan food tour that was quite enjoyable.
I'm not the person to ask on that, though. You'll need a local for up-to-date food info.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
We visit New York City every year or so mostly to catch some Broadway shows and do some general hanging out.

I liked sitting on the bleachers at Times Square at night and watching the lights and people for a while.
It's kind of neat to take it all in, and later when you're back home watching some movie you'll realize "Hey! I was right there where that monster stomped the cars!".

Are you interested in art or science museums? I cannot skip the American Museum of Natural History.
American Museum of Natural History
nor this:
Home | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Have you thought about what you want to eat? They have some ordinary food at high prices, and they have some very good food at very high prices. I once did a somewhere in south Manhattan food tour that was quite enjoyable.
I'm not the person to ask on that, though. You'll need a local for up-to-date food info.

Of course I would get to have that experience in Times square because we are only going for a day. That sounds like a great experience.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 AM

85 posts, read 242,693 times
Thank you all … Actually I intend to spend a whole month in the States. So, I booked the first two days in a hotel in Manhattan. And for the last week, I used one of home rental sites to stay in Brooklyn, and between them, I’ll be in NJ an MD, but I want to visit a friend of mine in Prescott, AZ. I found the tickets too expensive, since we are family of 4 persons, so I thought about the train, but my wife refused the idea, I’m thinking to rent a car and go, it will take about 3 to 4 days driving, and we should stay at 3 or 4 hotels. I haven’t book them yet, neither I paid for the car, I paid only for the rest (Manhattan, Brooklyn, NJ, MD). Sometimes I tell myself; “I’ll pay there, according to the circumstances”. But again my wife tells me we should organize the whole month and pay for it from now, we can’t travel randomly without previous plans.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 AM

575 posts, read 672,168 times
Quote:
Spend a little time in the Square, then head up to Central Park. Then over to Rockafeller Center, down to 34th Street. Hit Union Square, then Greenwich Village if enough time. Then the next day check out Batter Park and Downtown. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and check out the park and skyline view of Manhattan. Bring a good camera. You will need to use the subway unless you arrive really early and love long walks.

The square has Broadway and restarunt row but dont spend most of your time their. Way more things to see outside this. Many get caught up in the hubbub of the Square and lose track of time during thier trip.

Depending on how much time you have you have Harlem, Riverside Drive (great walk) and hit Coney Island in Brooklyn to see the people's playground.

I would insert, "at 34th Street, head west to the High Line and walk down to at least 14th Street. Get off there and head east back to Union Square. Or stay on the High Line till the end, the head east to 4th Avenue, then Uptown to Un. Sq." (OP-Use Google for info on the High Lins.)

Use your most comfortable shoes that you own. I prefer my Aisics Gel running shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City