Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Coming from the Rockaways is a LONG commute. I'm sure most spend over an hour one way.
but the subway generally takes you within a couple of blocks of one's job. If you work in midtown, you need to switch ferries and get to 34th st., and then you're all the way on the river which is at minimum 15-20 mins to most office buildings or whatever.

when you factor in a complete door-to-door commute, the ferry offers a shorter commute for VERY few people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:08 AM

Answer me this, why does the ferry have to stop at BAT on it's way to wall street? Why not an express ride from rockaway to wall street? That would save 15-20 mins.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
but the subway generally takes you within a couple of blocks of one's job. If you work in midtown, you need to switch ferries and get to 34th st., and then you're all the way on the river which is at minimum 15-20 mins to most office buildings or whatever.

when you factor in a complete door-to-door commute, the ferry offers a shorter commute for VERY few people.
That depends on where you are. Not all of the Rockaways have subway service and this is closer to said area.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That depends on where you are. Not all of the Rockaways have subway service and this is closer to said area.
if you're in a part of the rockaways without subway service and you need to get to midtown, you're looking at say 10-15 mins from your front door to the ferry landing, an hour to wall street, another 20-25 minutes to switch ferries to get to 34th. And then you still might be a 20 minute walk to your office.

There are better options.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
if you're in a part of the rockaways without subway service and you need to get to midtown, you're looking at say 10-15 mins from your front door to the ferry landing, an hour to wall street, another 20-25 minutes to switch ferries to get to 34th. And then you still might be a 20 minute walk to your office.

There are better options.
Speak for yourself. You don't represent all Rockaway residents that ARE using the service and DON'T work in Midtown. Last I checked, people work all over the place.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Speak for yourself. You don't represent all Rockaway residents that ARE using the service and DON'T work in Midtown. Last I checked, people work all over the place.
I do represent common sense which says this ferry isn't the cure-all many are making it out to be.

You've done nothing to disprove what I said earlier: when you factor in a complete door-to-door commute, the ferry offers a shorter commute for VERY few people.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I do represent common sense which says this ferry isn't the cure-all many are making it out to be.

You've done nothing to disprove what I said earlier: when you factor in a complete door-to-door commute, the ferry offers a shorter commute for VERY few people.
Try telling that to the people that are using it that say otherwise. You should speak for yourself instead of trying to tell everyone else what's good for them when you don't take their commute. Talk about bossy and rude! If the subway works for you then great, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:44 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Try telling that to the people that are using it that say otherwise. You should speak for yourself instead of trying to tell everyone else what's good for them when you don't take their commute. Talk about bossy and rude! If the subway works for you then great, but it doesn't work for everyone.
The issue is more that with limited funds, the cost benefit analysis for these ferries probably isn't very good overall. For the number of riders that these ferries can carry, the cost of this program is pretty high compared to other sorts of transit spending.

For instance, subsidizing CityTicket sort of prices at all times for NYC residents to ride LIRR and Metro-North would reach a far broader swath of people.

That being said, I'm not actually against ferry transit, but that's more on a personal like for riding boats.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The issue is more that with limited funds, the cost benefit analysis for these ferries probably isn't very good overall. For the number of riders that these ferries can carry, the cost of this program is pretty high compared to other sorts of transit spending.

For instance, subsidizing CityTicket sort of prices at all times for NYC residents to ride LIRR and Metro-North would reach a far broader swath of people.

That being said, I'm not actually against ferry transit, but that's more on a personal like for riding boats.
This forum has a love affair with the subways and I don't know why because quite frankly they suck big time. Even if we were funding for the subway system, you can only run but so many trains, and we've seen how long it takes to get anything done here in this city. Aside from that not every neighborhood has a subway. This is a much nicer way to reach the Rockaways and apparently it IS convenient and faster for a decent amount of the residents living there.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
This forum has a love affair with the subways and I don't know why because quite frankly they suck big time. Even if we were funding for the subway system, you can only run but so many trains, and we've seen how long it takes to get anything done here in this city. Aside from that not every neighborhood has a subway. This is a much nicer way to reach the Rockaways and apparently it IS convenient and faster for a decent amount of the residents living there.
It depends on what you qualify as a decent amount of people. Each of these ferries have less spots than a single subway traincar (a single car not a set of traincars). The ride is very pleasant, but its per rider costs as well as the limited number of people who benefit tempers how nice this is. Again, I like the ferries, but it's a really limited solution that helps a pretty small set of people.

I get that capital funding for subway expansion takes forever to round up and then eons to finish building. A lot of what makes the ferry attractive is that it's relatively quick to deploy even though it has pretty limited capacity and high per capita operating expenses. That's why what I wrote as an alternative and probably more deserving transit funding is to expand the CityTicket program to all hours. That, too, is a very quick deployment, but is a useful to a far larger number of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City