Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:42 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I no longer live in NYC, but my family there says it's really gone downhill, especially since DeBlasio came into office.

Yet this New York Post article says otherwise: New York City has never been better than it is today | New York Post

Do people who still live in NYC agree?
What is the political persuasion of your family?

I'm guessing that NYC was likely better at some points, for instance, in the 1930s or 1940s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 01:17 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What is the political persuasion of your family?
My family are lifelong Republicans (a tiny minority in NYC). They've long lived in Forest Hills.

My sister tells me that Austin Street has gone downhill since DeBlasio. More homeless. More lowlifes from outside the neighborhood, hanging out. Filthier streets. And of course, ever higher taxes despite the decreasing quality of life.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
My family are lifelong Republicans (a tiny minority in NYC). They've long lived in Forest Hills.

My sister tells me that Austin Street has gone downhill since DeBlasio. More homeless. More lowlifes from outside the neighborhood, hanging out. Filthier streets. And of course, ever higher taxes despite the decreasing quality of life.
I was in Forest Hills not too long ago, it seems like a really nice neighborhood to me.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:

Well, you have it worse in LA under Garcetti.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I was in Forest Hills not too long ago, it seems like a really nice neighborhood to me.
Agreed. I like Forest Hills.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:18 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Is Forest Hills nice? I suppose it is, compared to most parts of NYC. But it's not as nice as it once was.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:25 AM
PDF

Quote:
Is Forest Hills nice? I suppose it is, compared to most parts of NYC. But it's not as nice as it once was.
Check it out for yourself. Many think it is.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:

I'm not surprised. I saw this homeless dude pushing a shopping cart in one of the last places I would ever expect recently. Down Northern Blvd right on by the border of Great Neck and Little Neck in front of a dim sum restaurant. That's where more well off NYers go to avoid the riff raff for decades, but the riff raff is catching up. Though I'd imagine that canning might be lucrative in that area since it's a well off area where people probably just trash all their recyclables.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 05-04-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:

What do people expect the city to do for homeless? San fransico and LA have a huge homeless problem, I say their homeless problem is even worse. They have blocks of homeless living in tents in downtown LA and in San Fran the homeless are hipsters from neighboring Midwest states who failed to make it in the city. Any urban city will have homeless as rents and property becomes unaffordable. The you have mental illnesses constantly being swept under the rug in this country. People complain about homeless on the streets but don't want shelters built in their communties. Sorry you have to see a different kind of life than your own when you step out the door. Life is not all roses, be apart of the change or stop complaining

Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Homeless need better social services. They need a place where they can easily shower. People to donate them outfits for interviews. Access to computers and printers for resumes. Mental health treatment and proper medications. Places where they can get a hot meal. I know those things exist now but I feel if we expanded them it would benefit us all. Most people on the streets are down on their luck and just need a decent shot. I feel so bad for them as now everything seems to be posted online... and when you haven't bathed and have no good clothes, need a shave and haircut... what do you do? Some days it feels impossible as there aren't enough psychiatrists to even go around for the population that CAN afford them. It took me over a thousand dollars to get properly diagnosed and get the right medication, and I was on a 3 month waitlist, my insurance covered nothing as mental health is not covered under my plan and I make over 100K! That medication, the right one, in no short order... saved my life and I am not exaggerating. I pay over $200 a month for it and I wonder what others must do, it is just awful to see what is happening to my country, seeing the rich not care for the poor and all of these good individuals go sick and hungry. I was raised Catholic and raised to believe we care for others or live with the guilt, as it IS a sin to have and not help. I feel very sorry for these people. If we do not address the problem now, it will just continue to grow. It honestly makes me very sad. I used to never give money to them but now I do... because I realize if things had turned out differently, that could be me... and when I was new to the city God knows I had moments where I came close. There is an old veteran outside my building I feed my leftovers to, it hurts when he waves the flag and I feel like we failed him. I wish others would see it that way. Some days he brings so many with him, I can't help them all and I just start handing them $10 bills to go get McDonald's and a beer, knowing it means I won't get to dine out for the week. Even if they are just panhandlers, it feels good to give anyway, most of them would never humiliate themselves like that if not in real need. I also am looking into giving free barbering and haircutting services as volunteer work. We all need to work on this problem together and not turn a blind eye to it. This is a growing, serious issue and it is not going away. I could go on but won't... just please realize if you want things to get better it begins with YOU. I could just turn my own blind eye to it again, spend the money on outfits and vacations and meals out... but my conscience will not let me do that now that I have met these people, listened to them, learned their stories.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-04-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City