Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Are you really that naive to trust that cost savings is the initiative here by government? Sounds here that the initiative is to put the people's money into the pockets of developers. Something tells me that someone out there is bribing Eric Adams.
Of course the developers would make money, but i dont see how this would cost taxpayers. Its not detrimental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Of course the developers would make money, but i dont see how this would cost taxpayers. Its not detrimental.
Non-organic development comes at the cost of the taxpayer

Old 05-07-2017, 09:11 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Non-organic development comes at the cost of the taxpayer
Can you elaborate/explain?

Even if no development occurs as a result of government agencies relocating, it would still not cost taxpayers. The city hires a developer to provide them with office space in East New York for an agency's operations. The agency moves out and leases out the prime real estate to the developer. It's not like anything is being subsidized.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,131,196 times
The current givernment offices are delapidated and are gonna need to renovate or move soon anyway. Moving them to east New York would be a lot cheaper than keeping them in Downtown Brooklyn. Sellling off the downtown Brooklyn space should cover most of the cost of the new development in East New York.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:19 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The current givernment offices are delapidated and are gonna need to renovate or move soon anyway. Moving them to east New York would be a lot cheaper than keeping them in Downtown Brooklyn. Sellling off the downtown Brooklyn space should cover most of the cost of the new development in East New York.
Good point.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2017, 02:33 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Downtown Brooklyn is MUCH more accessible than East New York, not to mention safer. It's absurd to expect Brooklynites to travel to a far place that is one BIG ghetto.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:36 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times
So East New York is the New Jamaica? I guess it's still a step up from what it is today. Can't wait till all the halal carts arrive.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:38 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Downtown Brooklyn is MUCH more accessible than East New York, not to mention safer. It's absurd to expect Brooklynites to travel to a far place that is one BIG ghetto.
Back in the day, Downtown Brooklyn really wasn't that safe either.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2017, 02:59 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Back in the day, Downtown Brooklyn really wasn't that safe either.
But it was always accessible... East New York has never been that accessible.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
But it was always accessible... East New York has never been that accessible.
Broadway Junction is very accessible. A, D, J, Z, L and Long Island RailRoad. And whenever government offices move to East New York, those who need to do business with the government have no choice but to go.

When I lived in Queens for example, to go to the DMV or get a new copy of my social security card I had to Jamaica. It didn't matter whether I wanted to go that far or not, the bottom line is that's where those offices were located and I had to go.

Once ENY is more development with government offices the real estate there will further develop. The city is actively developing the South Bronx, Jamaica, and East New York as the next group of business centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City