Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM

36 posts, read 93,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
He was pretty clear when he said he can spend no more than $1200 and he wants his own kitchen and bathroom. How many roommate situations are you going to find where you have your own kitchen? Sure sometimes there are 2bed 2 bath apts, so he might have his own bathroom but so far I've never heard of a 2 bed 2 bath 2 kitchen apartment.

That's why I was suggesting Queens. If he absolutely must stay in Manhattan, there is always Inwood or Washington Heights where you can get a one bedroom apt for $1200.
Actually, come to think of it, Inwood might not be a bad option as it is on the A train and that goes directly to Columbus Circle.
Didn't see the kitchen part. Washington Heights definitly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I'd be careful in Washington Heights - WEST of Broadway (and near the medical center) is much safer than East of Broadway. I lived West of Broadway in medical schools and I was STILL robbed in my building - in broad daylight no less. You have to be careful....Inwood is much better and just a little farther up on the A train.

Lauren I have a hard time believe you've EVER been to Washington Heights...

Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Spoken truly like a kid whose dad pays for everything.

The guy is a grad student -- he's got bills and probably loans to pay, dental school, and other "adult" stuff deal with. He's in school so he can make a living practicing dentistry when he graduates in 4 years.

He doesn't the luxury to just "try" Manhattan and have dad bail him out if it isn't working financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lauren View Post
Actually, I have looked at rent in Manhattan.
I just think if you live outside Manhattan, you'll feel like you're just outside, looking onto the rest of the world.
Try living in NYC for 6-12 months. If you don't like it, move. Try the experience.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 PM

16 posts, read 38,700 times
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

I've decided Astoria would be my best bet. I'm looking for an apartment right now.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
"Heres a tune about this honey named Renee, that I met one day on my way back from John Jay"

Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
What has NYC gone to that people recommend Washington Heights all of a sudden

Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Ive personally never felt that Washington Heights was really bad, but then again I am biased as I am desensitized to these places.

You want bad to go North Philly or Baltimore.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
What's wrong with Washington Heights? The apartments are huge and relatively inexpensive. The A train is fast (except on most weekends). There's easy access to beautiful parks. (I'm not into grass and love running across the GWB instead.) I've heard things are bad east of Broadway, but where I am it's quiet and the neighbors are friendly. My landlord is lame, but I'm not going to take that out on the neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
This is the "sort by boro" syndrome. Don't you know, Washington Heights is better than Brooklyn Heights because it's in Manhattan. But Bushwick is clearly better than Jackson Heights because Brooklyn is cooler than Queens. Honestly, nothing against Washington Heights, which I like, but I can't see why someone who is pushing the Manhattan "lifestyle" is pushing WH. There's not really that much you could get there that you can't get in Astoria.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
This is the "sort by boro" syndrome. Don't you know, Washington Heights is better than Brooklyn Heights because it's in Manhattan. But Bushwick is clearly better than Jackson Heights because Brooklyn is cooler than Queens. Honestly, nothing against Washington Heights, which I like, but I can't see why someone who is pushing the Manhattan "lifestyle" is pushing WH. There's not really that much you could get there that you can't get in Astoria.
I'm a booster for WH, but I would NEVER say that WH is better than Brooklyn Heights. Really? Multi-million dollar brownstones with views of Manhattan versus lovely art deco apartment buildings with views of New Jersey? No contest. Brooklyn Heights wins in my opinion. It's where I dream of moving to in my "If I Won the Lottery" fantasy.

But Astoria over WH? It depends on what you want. I like the architectural detail of WH vs what Astoria has to offer. But others might prefer the cultural diversity of Astoria. It isn't a borough throwdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City