Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times

Advertisements

In your situation, I would probably weigh your options based on recruiting potential, and where you want to work after your program. If you want to end up in NYC, how many employers recruit from UB or Baruch for the types of positions you're looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 06:33 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
quote:
I'm great at my job and I've always been good at understanding what customers want (I ran my own successful business as a teen for a short while). I enjoy Marketing. I'm not going to change my career because of issues/disabilities I have. Life is about overcoming obstacles.

I can't really comment on much else too practical, but GO YOU! You'll be okay. Believe it or not, what you just wrote affected someone in a positive way.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:55 AM

129 posts, read 270,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefofbaskets View Post
Which fortune 500 company accepts university of Phoenix? LMAO! I hope this is a joke.
Verizon, Time Warner (now Spectrum), Comcast and Conedison take degrees from Phoenix, Devry, and Metropolitan. Is not that surprising. If I been with the company for more than 5 years with an excellent record and decide to go to school to Phoenix for an MBA, do you think the company would choose a recently graduate from NYU? I even had a friend who worked for Time Warner for 7 years, graduated from Metropolitan and now is a project manager at Comcast.

I been working with this company for over 5 years and graduated from Baruch but seriously thinking about going to Devry for my MBA. Why? I'm planning on getting married and starting a family. I don't have the time for a long program while working full time. I want to advance, I already have the experience. My company is in partnership with the school and like I mentioned before I know of many people who have gotten their degree from those school and advance. I'm talking six figures salaries here. I have a bachelors from Baruch, my friend with her MBA from Devry makes more than me because its an MBA! lol

Here are the links of companies in partnership with Devry:
https://www.devry.edu/why-devry/empl...tnerships.html

I'm not saying the OP should go that route. For profit school are not for everyone. I just gave examples that shows schools are not really a priority for most companies when it comes to management. They mostly want to see you have the experience and the education to go with it. By no means am I implying you shouldn't try to go to the best school you can, is your time and money. However, don't put so much emphasis on that. I would recommend trying to talk to the people in your field/company.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
There are plenty of people with management positions without an MBA and plenty of MBA's without management positions if that makes sense.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
There are plenty of people with management positions without an MBA and plenty of MBA's without management positions if that makes sense.

I agree. It all comes down to the person. The OP says he is good at his job and he sounds proud of what he does.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
I don't know about that University of Pheonix thing - I mean, sometimes if hiring managers see that you were dumb enough to spend money on a university with such a bad reputation, then they'll think that your decision making abilities are not that great. I'd never waste my time (or money) at those schools. I'd do Fordham, Cornell, City College, SUNY, etc.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don't know about that University of Pheonix thing - I mean, sometimes if hiring managers see that you were dumb enough to spend money on a university with such a bad reputation, then they'll think that your decision making abilities are not that great. I'd never waste my time (or money) at those schools. I'd do Fordham, Cornell, City College, SUNY, etc.

I'm just telling the OP what I see within my corporate environment in order to illustrate the "importance" of a degree. I'm not suggesting he goes for those schools. My point is that he is a good employee and he cares so it shouldn't be that difficult for him to succeed regardless of the school he attends. Like I mentioned before I attended Baruch which is a really good business school but whenever I go to an interview that's not what have gotten me the job. They just see I have a bachelors and move on. From my experience and what hiring managers have told me (once again I'm just talking from my company he should do research in his field company of interest) they just want to see you have the degree because is a requirement for the job and that's it.Get involve in projects, extracurricular actives such as volunteering, become a member of a national organization related to your field, save any commendations you gotten from your manager, come up with ideas to improve productivity and reduce cost. That's what gotten me my promotions and really show your decision making and abilities. I think CUNY and SUNY are reputable schools and less costly. Also, be ware of "executive degrees," a lot of companies don't care for those no matter from what school.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
In my field, which is health care, many places don't even care what your degree is in---my MS is in something that has nothing to do with health care but I am always encouraged to apply for management jobs because all they care about is that you have a graduate degree.

I don't think for your goals the school will particularly matter. If I were you, I'd go for Baruch.

I'll be honest---I have a friend working on his MBA but his personality leads me to believe this is fruitless. He's very quiet, can easily be taken advantage of and I cannot see him managing people. He has no backbone. "Moving up" requires a certain kind of personality and I hope this degree pays off for him but I do worry for him.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
I'm just telling the OP what I see within my corporate environment in order to illustrate the "importance" of a degree. I'm not suggesting he goes for those schools. My point is that he is a good employee and he cares so it shouldn't be that difficult for him to succeed regardless of the school he attends. Like I mentioned before I attended Baruch which is a really good business school but whenever I go to an interview that's not what have gotten me the job. They just see I have a bachelors and move on. From my experience and what hiring managers have told me (once again I'm just talking from my company he should do research in his field company of interest) they just want to see you have the degree because is a requirement for the job and that's it.Get involve in projects, extracurricular actives such as volunteering, become a member of a national organization related to your field, save any commendations you gotten from your manager, come up with ideas to improve productivity and reduce cost. That's what gotten me my promotions and really show your decision making and abilities. I think CUNY and SUNY are reputable schools and less costly. Also, be ware of "executive degrees," a lot of companies don't care for those no matter from what school.
Same here once they get to the degree part they could cares less where I got it from they are more concerned about work experience and a proven track record. If they are still interested then they will go on to life experience etc.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I admire your candor, Meister.
I share your less than stellar social skills. Felt awkward most of my life. It did not help beiong far smarter than any boss I ever worked for.
I got an MBA (Finance and Econoomics) and it really did nothing for me.

Best way ahead: Marry the boss' daughter (or son.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City