Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 AM

92 posts, read 109,979 times

Advertisements

Hey, NYC Marketing professional here hoping from some advice if anyone else has been in my shoes.

So I have an issue I’ve been pondering over for a year now. I’ve been debating about starting an MBA, but I’m not sure if the cost is worth it for an expensive program, especially since I’m only using it to climb my industry, not to get into a new one. I was going to start last year, but I ‘failed’ (could not complete) my GMAT because of an emergency call during break, and they didn’t let me take it without failing. I didn’t study that much and I think I was at around the 600 range while taking it, so I think I can get to upper 600s-low 700s with more studying.

My main goal: To become lead in a consumer marketing company division (ie: Marketing Manager), eventually become CMO.

Currently, I’ve become specialized in Retention/Email with about 4 years of experience. Now in my first ‘management’ role within my specialization (but without employees to manage. It’s a small program right now with plans to expand in the next few months that might or might not come to fruition). I don’t mind it, but I’d like to broaden myself out and oversee the entire spectrum. Be sitting in the Captain’s chair, so to speak. Being stuck in a specialization, I don’t see that goal happening until very late in my career, and even then it would be a risk for the employer who would put me in that position.

Another drawback I face in my career is socially: I’m still fairly awkward with others. I used to be awfully unsocial before college, but I still need work when it comes to understanding cues, especially in conversations (which is important when managing a team). Toastmasters helps for speeches, but it doesn’t help with nervousness in speaking with strangers, or inspiring coworkers. I’ve actually managed others successfully in the past (library work and camps) but it doesn’t hurt to get better at it.

I understand it will take time and a bit more experience to get to where I want, no matter what, which is why I think a Part-Time MBA program works best for me. I can continue to build experience in Management within my specialization (small or self teams) and quickly broaden myself to opportunities post-graduation.

Narrowed it down due to cost: Baruch or UB (my alma mater) are the only 2 NYS schools with legitimate programs. UND’s online program is an interesting one, but is online so I won’t get as much out of it for ironing out deficiencies socially. I think UB is a considerably more known program than Baruch and should be easier to get into as an alumni, but I would need to relocate back to WNY. I saw Binghamton has a program in NYC as well, but it looks crazy condensed and costs the same as the full UB/Baruch program.

Considered NYU but it’s over 100k more expensive.

For my goals, does it matter what kind of B school I attend for my MBA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 02:34 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I think management comes from personality combined with skill rather than what school you attend. I actually have a masters from NYU but I don't consider myself management material as I'm a socially awkward computer geek albeit a proud one

The rule of thumb for your career type - after personality that emits confidence, skill set and passion, is to choose a top school. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I think management comes from personality combined with skill rather than what school you attend. I actually have a masters from NYU but I don't consider myself management material as I'm a socially awkward computer geek albeit a proud one

The rule of thumb for your career type - after personality that emits confidence, skill set and passion, is to choose a top school. Hope this helps and good luck.
NYU is ridiculously expensive.

As for the OP, since you admitted that you don't have the most outgoing personality, you might have to rethink your career path. Since you're want to do a MBA, why not have a focus in Accounting or Finance? NYU & Baruch will give you access to the Big 4 and all top regional and national accounting firms, but you might struggle to get in with your personality. We tend to value people with strong people skills because of client needs.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
NYU is ridiculously expensive.

As for the OP, since you admitted that you don't have the most outgoing personality, you might have to rethink your career path. Since you're want to do a MBA, why not have a focus in Accounting or Finance? NYU & Baruch will give you access to the Big 4 and all top regional and national accounting firms, but you might struggle to get in with your personality. We tend to value people with strong people skills because of client needs.
What? No. That's a horrible outlook to have. I'm great at my job and I've always been good at understanding what customers want (I ran my own successful business as a teen for a short while). I enjoy Marketing. I'm not going to change my career because of issues/disabilities I have. Life is about overcoming obstacles.

Besides, those issues are there for ANY higher management position, whether in the engineering world or Finance/Accounting. So, you're suggesting that all socially awkward people are doomed to suffer through mediocrity? I refuse to succumb to such an outlook. It's against the very nature of a meritocracy.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

Personality has nothing to do with dealing with social norms. That's a disability at most. An obstacle.

Personality-wise, I'm accommodating and helpful. Creative. Definitely a big picture person. In terms of management style, try to empower people, especially if they're underneath me. My biggest weakness in my personality is managing up. I tend to become too fearful, but I'm learning more and more the nature of politicing (something I've been really horrible at in the past).

What I mentioned has nothing to do with personality (apparently people don't understand the difference between SA and anti-social).

People overcome obstacles. I was bullied for most my childhood, which is where my difficulty comes from. I forced myself to attend lots of social events and dorm in college, and that transformed me as an individual and helped me grow. Before college, I couldn't even talk to people normally.

I knew I had to overcome, which is why I went to a dorm college despite lots of obstacles in getting there (and being there).

Look at the world's most famous people, and you'll find a litany of social issues or disabilities they overcame. I don't see this as being any different. More exposure and more experience means more empowerment and understanding.

Last edited by mozillameister; 05-12-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post
Personality has nothing to do with dealing with social norms. That's a disability at most. An obstacle.

Personality-wise, I'm accommodating and helpful. Creative. Definitely a big picture person. In terms of management style, try to empower people, especially if they're underneath me. My biggest weakness in my personality is managing up. I tend to become too fearful, but I'm learning more and more the nature of politicing (something I've been really horrible at in the past).

What I mentioned has nothing to do with personality (apparently people don't understand the difference between SA and anti-social).

People overcome obstacles. I was bullied for most my childhood, which is where my difficulty comes from. I forced myself to attend lots of social events and dorm in college, and that transformed me as an individual and helped me grow. Before college, I couldn't even talk to people normally.

I knew I had to overcome, which is why I went to a dorm college despite lots of obstacles in getting there (and being there).

Look at the world's most famous people, and you'll find a litany of social issues or disabilities they overcame. I don't see this as being any different. More exposure and more experience means more empowerment and understanding.
Personality may have nothing to do with social norms (or it may - as our environment and experiences shape who we are), but you have to admit that certain personalities are just not fit for management- this includes not only the introvert, but the quick to anger, abusive, and otherwise others with a low emotional IQ.

Anyways, it seems you have it figured out. At the end of the day, people will do what they want - if you have a passion for what you do, you'll be successful, if not - it doesn't matter what school you attend.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
For management, experience, personality, and political correctedness is more important than an MBA. I'll admit I'm not in the marketing realm, but this applies to most industries. Perhaps read up on the marketing managers in some of the companies that you would want to work for. Research on the career paths of the managers, see if they have MBAs.

In my opinion, a lot of employers shy away from MBA applicants as there usually is expectations of a higher salary with the extra level of credentials.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
For management, experience, personality, and political correctedness is more important than an MBA. I'll admit I'm not in the marketing realm, but this applies to most industries. Perhaps read up on the marketing managers in some of the companies that you would want to work for. Research on the career paths of the managers, see if they have MBAs.

In my opinion, a lot of employers shy away from MBA applicants as there usually is expectations of a higher salary with the extra level of credentials.
I'm not so much talking about skills necessary, but more of qualifications to get into a position for that sort of role. In my experience (at least in Marketing), people don't move up from staying in a firm and working through the ranks. The primary method in 'leveling up' (using gaming terminology) is by moving around and taking new opportunities.

Now, I could still move myself up that way, but wouldn't it be difficult to go from a specialized field in Marketing to being a broad-based Manager with many hats? My thoughts were that an MBA would help alleviate fears that I am too specialized to understand the full IMC. Plus, it is a certificate of Management ability. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's from what I've seen looking at LinkedIn. Unless they got lucky in moving up within their company or started in Advertising, it seems difficult to break out of your specialization once you are in it.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 AM

129 posts, read 270,400 times
Please take into account that every company's culture is different and may affect the importance of the degree/school. I work for a Fortune 500 company and I've seen managers and top executives with degrees from Devry to Phoenix University. They just wanted to obtain the degree in order to advance, but they already had the experience.The company doesn't care about the school they just want to see you put some effort. On the other hand I have a friend who works in a small law firm and they are very picky about that sort of things. To be honest if your goal is to stay in management I don't think it matters what school you go to. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 PM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
I mostly agree with the view that what school you went to doesn't matter (especially after a few years), but I think it works both ways, meaning that just because you got an MBA somewhere doesn't mean it will help you.

In my opinion, there are generally 3 ways to justify an MBA:

1) You can go to a top school that will open up doors for you based on that fact alone.
2) A moderately good school has a specific program or specific recruiting connection/opportunity that is a great fit for your interests.
3) You have essentially zero relevant experience and an MBA, even at a not-great school, is the only way to get a leg-up (but almost any real world experience would negate this justification).

If #2 or #3 don't apply to you, then I think the quality of the program is hugely important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City