Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 PM

38 posts, read 25,513 times

Advertisements

So I found this absolutely fantastic cheap 2BR apartment around the corner from the M train at Flushing Avenue, which is a 20 minute commute to work. 2BR, laundry in-unit, all that good jazz.

Obviously, the neighborhood hasn't gentrified to the point where it's all snooty whites and absent Chinese going to the snooty fancy restaurants that nobody can afford, but has it gentrified to the point where there's minimal crime and gangbangers and cops sitting in front of the door flashing lights at your bedroom window at 3AM (Actual reason that Boston sucked. Every week)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerkev View Post
So I found this absolutely fantastic cheap 2BR apartment around the corner from the M train at Flushing Avenue, which is a 20 minute commute to work. 2BR, laundry in-unit, all that good jazz.

Obviously, the neighborhood hasn't gentrified to the point where it's all snooty whites and absent Chinese going to the snooty fancy restaurants that nobody can afford, but has it gentrified to the point where there's minimal crime and gangbangers and cops sitting in front of the door flashing lights at your bedroom window at 3AM (Actual reason that Boston sucked. Every week)?
Why bother signing the lease if you have to ask stuff like this?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why bother signing the lease if you have to ask stuff like this?
Because any place I don't have to ask those questions is $3000/month for a 1BR and a much longer commute in a trendy neighborhood, and while I technically *can* swing that, I'd much rather swing a 20 minute commute to work in Manhattan and a 2BR with in-unit laundry that I can sublet out.

/And also because I'm really, really terrible at reading the signs of what makes a neighborhood "OK" or not, so my feelings and someone else's might differ.
//Seriously, I'm from the Midwest, and some of our dangerous ghettos look like Detroit, but some of them look a lot like Crown Heights, just less dense.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Because any place I don't have to ask those questions is $3000/month for a 1BR and a much longer commute in a trendy neighborhood, and while I technically *can* swing that, I'd much rather swing a 20 minute commute to work in Manhattan and a 2BR with in-unit laundry that I can sublet out.

/And also because I'm really, really terrible at reading the signs of what makes a neighborhood "OK" or not, so my feelings and someone else's might differ.
//Seriously, I'm from the Midwest, and some of our dangerous ghettos look like Detroit, but some of them look a lot like Crown Heights, just less dense.
Whats your budget?

Unfortunately, if you work in Manhattan and want a short commute, you're either gonna have to pay a lot of money or live in a high-crime area in NYC. Sometimes both. There's no "cheap" place to rent in the city that has a short commute to Manhattan unless you get a roommate or you hit a lottery apartment. There's plenty of affordable places in the city that you dont have to worry about crime, but the commute might be longer than what would be ideal to you. Either make more money, or learn to compromise. Best of luck.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Whats your budget?

Unfortunately, if you work in Manhattan and want a short commute, you're either gonna have to pay a lot of money or live in a high-crime area in NYC. Sometimes both. There's no "cheap" place to rent in the city that has a short commute to Manhattan unless you get a roommate or you hit a lottery apartment. There's plenty of affordable places in the city that you dont have to worry about crime, but the commute might be longer than what would be ideal to you. Either make more money, or learn to compromise. Best of luck.
Topping out at $2600. Because that's one entire paycheck. This is $2500, then I split it and I'm down to $1250.

The other thing is that I can't read these crime maps at all. I just see dots everywhere.

Apparently, the area is very slightly worse than the Upper East Side, and across the street from one that's twice as bad as the UES. Is that good, is that bad? It's better than Greenpoint, which rents at $3000/month, so... *shrugs*.

/Heck, the precinct it's in is better than Park Slope, so....

Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Topping out at $2600. Because that's one entire paycheck. This is $2500, then I split it and I'm down to $1250.

The other thing is that I can't read these crime maps at all. I just see dots everywhere.

Apparently, the area is very slightly worse than the Upper East Side, and across the street from one that's twice as bad as the UES. Is that good, is that bad? It's better than Greenpoint, which rents at $3000/month, so... *shrugs*.

If you are accustomed to hood living, you have nothing to worry about. If you're not, then you will see things on the street occasionally that you are not used to, and you will just have to get used to it. As far as you being a victim of a crime, anything can happen anywhere. All you can do is take precaution wherever you go, meaning use your peripheral vision more often and just be more aware of what's happening around you, the true definition of "street smarts"

Old 05-13-2017, 03:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Whats your budget?

I would guess that Western Queens in general (which is safe) is as at least as cheap as Bed Stuy

Old 05-13-2017, 03:17 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:

The crime maps seem very misleading to me, I know for a fact that there are neighborhoods with the same shading that have much different crime rates.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:56 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
See all those big towers with gated grass fields between them...don't move across the street from them. By the Flushing stop you have a lot of them. That stop borders Bed-Stuy, Williamsburg, and Bushwick. In that particular area, if I had to choose, I'd go with the Bushwick side. Meaning east on Flushing, preferably on the south side.

If you happen to be Hasidic you can get away with living to the west.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:36 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
There are a bunch of projects on the Bed Stuy side but also Woodhull hospital. I'd say, the further the place is away from the projects the more "comfortable".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City