Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 12,716 times

Advertisements

There's an apartment that has a keyed elevator that goes to your room that I'm considering. I haven't seen it personally yet only from the pictures on line but I'm visiting next week to look around. How safe are they, do you go right into your living room off the elevator and I have a three year old so is that going to be a big issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 02:34 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'm not familiar with them, but from your description, I suppose the questions would be:

What happens if there's a power failure?
What happens if your key is stolen?
What happens if the system is hacked?
What do you think of that level of surveillance?

Old 05-14-2017, 04:06 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not familiar with them, but from your description, I suppose the questions would be:

What happens if there's a power failure?
What happens if your key is stolen?
What happens if the system is hacked?
What do you think of that level of surveillance?
Stairs are still required even if there are elevators.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:11 PM

13 posts, read 15,199 times
There should still be a regular door. Not having one might be a fire risk.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 12,716 times
I thought so to but looking at the floor plans I didn't see a door. I'm really worried about safety and I assumed it would have a door but I don't want to waste time looking at an apartment which I am falling in love with only to find one huge issue that can't be ignored

Old 05-14-2017, 09:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
A keyed elevator that opens directly into your apartment or loft can be fitted with a locking steel gate that prevents unwelcome people from entering. You would enter your apartment from the elevator by unlocking the gate when the elevator was at your floor.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Know plenty of persons who live in lofts with "keyed" elevators. There are few to no issues with security.

For one in most systems even if someone presses your "floor" the elevator won't open door or even in some systems go down to lobby unless it is "sent" by tenant. Even if the elevator does go to another floor and arrives on yours, door will not open unless resident does so from the other side.

In all such systems by code and law (IIRC) a superintendent or someone has a master key that can run and open the elevator doors regardless of what is "locked". FDNY certainly has this function and is one reason why you aren't supposed to use elevators in case of a fire. They most always will return to the main floor either automatically or when called by FDNY and remain under their service until switched back.

By code there also must be a second means of egress out of elevator apartments/buildings/floors. This can be a stairwell or fire escape, but never the less is there. Again in loft conversion buildings there is a stairwell somewhere, it can be near the service elevator or area of building/apartment and serves as again means to exit a floor during an emergency when elevator cannot or should not be used.

To answer some of your other questions.

In some loft co-op or condo buildings shareholders/owners build a "foyer" by putting up a wall. Much like office buildings when you then get off elevator you are in a "hall" and there is a door that one must go through to get into apartment proper.

This arrangement is not popular with many persons because it defeats the purpose they see of living in a loft; having all that open space with few walls. \

Whether you know it or not must commercial office space are simply open floors that are "built" to become offices. That is elevator once opened onto open space that since was divided up into offices.

Loss of key:

Replacements can be had and that would come from building management. In case of a co-op or condo the board would have a company or knowledge of how lost keys are replaced.

Think about it; hundreds of persons live in these loft type apartments, often with no doorman in lobby. So in theory once someone got into the lobby the could merely go up to any floor and gain access. But they don't because elevator is "locked" and or even (again) if they did reach any particular floor if things are locked door won't open.

Power failure:

Same as any other building with an elevator. If you find yourself trapped during a building power cut or blackout unless building has back up power (not universal common) FDNY will be sent for to get you out.

For the record *ALL* elevators in NYC are subject to strict safety rules, regulations, inspections and whatever. Even those in these loft type apartment buildings. If they aren't working property and that is discovered either by routine inspection or via complaint, city can (and will) either issue violations mandating repairs and or shut the thing down.

If you truly worry about someone gaining access via the elevator do with many residents of such units already have; install motion sensor burglar alarms. Friends who live in Chelsea have such a system. One monitor is for the area just outside elevator (meaning if you cross out of the thing into apartment alarm will go off), while the others monitor deeper into the main room (ditto).

Old 08-06-2021, 04:53 AM

7 posts, read 3,693 times
I totally agree with BugsyPal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City