Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM

21 posts, read 21,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
A small % of Dominicans dominate certain business sectors and own a high % of the businesses in their neighborhoods. The Dominicans who work for them earn little and get few benefits and Dominican households have among the lowest median household incomes. LESS than for blacks.

So try to be a little less simple.

In addition what connections do most black Americans have with Africa? When they go to Ghana they are called a word, which in Akan, means "white man", because the Africans see them as chocolate coated white men, for reasons that I am sure you are familiar with.

And what will we buy from Africa? Oil, timber or minerals? It isn't as if they have an industrial base or financial institutions, and blacks in the USA don't have that either. So neither group has much to offer the other.

Yes blacks must become more risk oriented and more entrepreneurial and blacks must learn to network with each other better than we do. But just as that hasn't propelled Dominicans into being a prosperous group it doesn't guarantee this for blacks.

In addition our family structures don't lend themselves to this small low margin businesses that you might see certain immigrant groups involved in. Blacks are individualistic and not collective so, no you aren't going to see the entire black family laboring for no rewards instead of going to church on Sunday. I see many black retail establishments closed on Sunday for this reason, while the Israelis, Arabs and the Koreans are open.

At the end of the day Asian businesses succeed because they are part of a mainstream global economy within which large Asian corporate entities play very strong roles.
Ok I see what you're saying but whats the solution. Your solutio would probably be similar to exactly what I said. We pretty much agree I just think you were attacking small points. And on the part where you said there's no institution in africa and "we dont have anything to offer each other " thats pure laziness and bull. Just build those institutions. Its public information how to do so. Model yourself after other successful economic nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I saw the other day a woman with a hijab at the liquor store. That was dope.
You mean with a non-arab dude? If so that's hot stuff! I wonder if they do sexual role play with the Aladdin and Jasmine costume at home. There's probably a host of kinky role play scenarios to act out like punish the infidel and etc.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:21 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenSDL View Post
Ok I see what you're saying but whats the solution. Your solutio would probably be similar to exactly what I said. We pretty much agree I just think you were attacking small points. And on the part where you said there's no institution in africa and "we dont have anything to offer each other " thats pure laziness and bull. Just build those institutions. Its public information how to do so. Model yourself after other successful economic nations.
This guy actually thinks people are looking to Dominicans as a model community. You all are no better off than any other group. As a matter of fact, I think you all are as infatuated if not more with black culture and society than the supremacists are. Absolutely brainwashed. Keep your eyes on your own people and stop worrying about what the others are doing. Even better,. Take some of that so called thriving business and commerce you brag about back to the D.R. (where it's really needed) and then maybe you can boast.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 PM

21 posts, read 21,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
This guy actually thinks people are looking to Dominicans as a model community. You all are no better off than any other group. As a matter of fact, I think you all are as infatuated if not more with black culture and society than the supremacists are. Absolutely brainwashed. Keep your eyes on your own people and stop worrying about what the others are doing. Even better,. Take some of that so called thriving business and commerce you brag about back to the D.R. (where it's really needed) and then maybe you can boast.
You misunderstood my post, I meant to model it after the Chinese/Jewish/white economic model. Dominicans have plenty problems, including not owning many shops or institutions either. But (going back to the original point of the thread) in interracial dating and in the social hierarchy Hispanics seem to be higher up because they havr that backing from other Latin nations while blacks are disconnected from africa. You probable live in Montauk, new jersey, or Massachusetts. You probably dont know whats going on. I'm in harlem everyday, been all over nxt, Brooklyn and queens. U probably live in rhode island.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
, I find that they get along with blacks and often talk and dress similar, however I wouldn't go as far as to say they're the same.
At the level of high school boys its hard to find a real difference between the two groups. When I am on the bus if my back is turned I cannot tell the difference.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Just build those institutions. .
Yes build the multi billion dollar institution to fund the development of mining companies or the massive infrastructure development that Africa needs.

There is a reason why China is so strong in Africa. They have the companies, the markets and the financing. We don't. We have the same deficits that Africans have, so cannot do much to help each other. When Apartheid ended loads of AAs ran down to South Africa. Few have any real clout because they had a scant ability to offer South Africa what it needed, and that was capital, markets, and access to technology.

Now let us deal in reality and not the dream world. There are 330 million people living in the USA who needs all sorts of goods and service and that is the market that people should aim to penetrate.

It is the dream of the KKK racists to fool blacks into thinking that they can live in a nation isolated from the rest of the country.

Here are facts.

1. There are many growing occupations where employers have a hard time filling. Why don't blacks identify these sectors and seek to get the education, training and experience that is needed? Why is it that people from half way across the globe come in and get those opportunities? It is a fact that while an employer might be racist the color that he most loves is green, so will hire whoever shows up if he has no choice.

2. People need to get away from the notion that one can walk down the street and then conclude that blacks don't own businesses because they don't see black owned stores. There are many blacks owned businesses, many in the business and professional sectors. My LinkedIn has 500 people most black and most owning their businesses, and most located in or around NYC. I don't pretend to know the whole gamut of black owned businesses. Why not a focus on real estate and healthcare, which are viable sectors? What about businesses in the STEM fields?

3. Blacks need education more than most other groups yet we have a problem now where large numbers of black men are functionally illiterate. The education has to be focused on real world opportunities.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
. Black people date outside their race at a rate higher than any other race. Just food for thought, I think it comes from low self esteem.
In fact the most popular interracial couple are White men and Latin women, followed by white women and Latin men, and then white men and Asian women.

Almost 30% recent marriages with Asians are interracial with 36% of those involving Asian women being interracial. About 25% of Hispanics are involved are interracial with scant difference between men and women. Less than 20% of blacks are married interracially with a scant 12% of black women involved in such marriages.

This information was taken from a link posted right here on this thread a page or two ago. I suggest that folks get data before they opine.

Here is Bronxguyana ranting about black women running behind white men when in fact they are the LEAST likely to be involved interracially. The man seems obsessed with white men and black women.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
.social hierarchy Hispanics seem to be higher up because they havr that backing from other Latin nations..

Get data to back these claims.

In fact Hispanics in NYC are POORER than are blacks, and have lower levels of educational attainment and are less likely to be professionals. Even though Dominicans spend half of their lives flying from JFK to STI or SDQ I don't know how this has helped them. I know more about Puerto Rico than does your average Puerto Rican in NYC, who is descended from some one who migrated here 60 years ago and who doesn't care the slightest about his relatives on that island. Most don't even speak proper Spanish.

I have a suspicion that Korean wholesalers import more from the DR than do Dominican businesses, so I don't know about these strong ties back home, except for sending remittances to help relatives there, and to build the retirement home.

Don't compare the socio economic status of Dominicans with Jamaicans, Guyanese, Trinidadians, or even Haitians. Its embarrassing. There was a whole discussion of this on DR1 sometime ago. That site is packed with Bougie Dominicans who think that those who live in NYC are a disgrace, so one can only imagine what they said.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM

104 posts, read 95,964 times
Well, im opening the heart borders, because love has no color.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:47 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
At the level of high school boys its hard to find a real difference between the two groups. When I am on the bus if my back is turned I cannot tell the difference.
Even though inner city Puerto Ricans often use black slang, I still think their voices sound different.

I work with both blacks and PRs/DRs, while there are similarities (in varying levels depending on the individual), I still don't perceive them as being exactly the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City