Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM

37 posts, read 25,975 times

Advertisements

I'm arriving late evening La Guardia, hotel is near Newark airport because we're flying out of that airport. We will have one full day between flights, really just a long layover before trip to Europe.

Any advice on how to organize the transfers? I'm thinking Uber SUV but not sure if it can handle all of our luggage.

1 adult, 5 children, 6 checked bags.

La Guardia directly to hotel near Newark Airport: Uber SUV the best option? I haven't read good things about the shuttles.

The next day we want to visit relatives in Brooklyn for lunch and see the Statue of Liberty or go to Central Park, I'm under no illusions that I should attempt more! Should I also do Uber SUV to Brooklyn then subway into Manhattan?

My older two will go off on their own so I will just have three under 10 going from Newark hotel to Brooklyn and into Manhattan.

I want to keep it fairly economical if possible. It would be 3 Uber rides, so about $100 each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
I can't offer any advice about schlepping from LGA to EWR, but as far as hotel into NYC: New Jersey Transit has a stop at EWR. You can take NJT (hotel shuttle to the EWR station) to Penn Station, then a subway to Brooklyn. That'd be the least expensive route and likely the fastest, given how unpredictable NYC traffic can be. The only problematic aspect of this is finding your way around Penn Station, from the NJ Transit platforms to the subways - it's a rabbit warren of concourses and is always crazy crowded. But still, I think, you're best option.

Also, given that you're arriving late (and might want to sleep just a little past normal wake up time), want to see relatives in Brooklyn ... even going to the Statue of Liberty might be a stretch (you have to get down to the Battery, maybe wait in line, etc. etc.)

And when you get to Europe, look up Pope Francis and quote from your post "1 adult, 5 children, 6 checked bags." You'll be fast-tracked for sainthood :-)

Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 AM

37 posts, read 25,975 times
I hadn't thought about NJT! Thanks, that's a great idea. And maybe I can convince my relatives to meet me rather than go to Brooklyn.

We might just try lunch with relatives and call it a day. The Statue might be too much and we have a long trip ahead of us...I laughed at your comment about sainthood! It's going to be an adventure for sure, travelling with my crew usually is

Old 05-18-2017, 12:04 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Arriving late at night at LGA, then schlepping out to Newark immediately and the next day going to Brooklyn. Sounds like a hassle to me as well as very tiring for such a short time frame. I too think you should convince your relatives to meet you in Manhattan if possible.

As for the LGA - EWR transfer - another option could be the LGA airport bus into Manhattan and then another airport bus from Manhattan to EWR.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Flying out of Newark sucks so bad, everybody hates getting to that airport you have to deal with Hudson River crossings not to mention go through Manhattan. If in peak traffic, take the train - LIRR to Penn Station and then NJT to Newark Airport and the airtrain. If traffic is decent take Uber / Lyft / Yellow Cab

Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,001 times
Is it possible to fly from LGA to EWR? They are, after all, both airports. Just wondering.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Is it possible to fly from LGA to EWR? They are, after all, both airports. Just wondering.
Only in situations of emergency - there are no FAA approved airplane routes between LGA and EWR. But I believe there may be helicopter service

Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Not very good idea to fly to LGA and stay at EWR. Should fly into EWR and just stay there. I would cancel the hotel and book somewhere in Queens. The OP is trying to save $50 a night while spending $20+ just to go to Newark. Clueless.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The OP is trying to save $50 a night while spending $20+ just to go to Newark. Clueless.
Dude you shouldn't be calling anyone else clueless if you think you can get a family of 6 to Newark for $20

Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not very good idea to fly to LGA and stay at EWR. Should fly into EWR and just stay there. I would cancel the hotel and book somewhere in Queens. The OP is trying to save $50 a night while spending $20+ just to go to Newark. Clueless.
But they STILL would have to get to Newark to catch their flight to Europe anyway.

I'm another vote for letting Brooklyn relatives meet you in the city. It will save you time. Just walk around the city. That's the best way to enjoy New York for a day. Have lunch, just take in the crowds and the noise and the architecture and the weird people you will see. Sounds like a fun layover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City