Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Well its in a public library, everybody is welcome....I don't hate or judge anybody

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:39 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Plain and simple: I'd beat to death anyone who subjects my kids to this monstrosity. Period.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
In high school I once took my girlfriends to a night club that was known for it's drag queens, but I didn't really pay much attention to that because the club had the best dance music. One of my friends had a slight fit and protested to going in a place with drag queens once she saw them, and I looked at her in disbelief and thought that was an unusual and dramatic reaction. I didn't see what was the big deal with my friend since it seemed drag queens were normal to see at night clubs and Austin was known for it's "keep it weird" motto. I insisted that we're here now so come on in and lets dance and so they did.

Then my friend told their parents and their parents called my parents the next day telling them about taking my friends to a drag queen club the night before. It wasn't a drag queen club but rather a night club that had all kinds of people go there to dance. However, they put it as if there was something wrong with what I did and that I was supposed to be in trouble for it. My parents asked me if I did that and I said yes. I still didn't see what the big deal was and what her parents were freaking out about, but at this point I got it must be a big deal to involve the adults over it.

My parents weren't upset with me though and they kind of got a laugh out of the other parents calling them to inform them on me and the grave thing I had done, apparently exposing their late-teens Christian child to a world of moral ambiguity and bursting their bubble.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
My parents weren't upset with me though and they kind of got a laugh out of the other parents calling them to inform them on me and the grave thing I had done, apparently exposing their late-teens Christian child to a world of moral ambiguity and bursting their bubble.
I don't care how people get their kicks, my issue is the whole systemic effort to have every fetish and dysfunction paraded in public and forced down everyone's throat where anything less than 100% acceptance and adulation is viewed as bigoted and offensive. It's bizarro world

I don't care if guys feel the need to dress up as women, I don't care what other adults they have sex with, but why do they feel the need to read to our kids about it to validate their insecurities?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't care how people get their kicks, my issue is the whole systemic effort to have every fetish and dysfunction paraded in public and forced down everyone's throat where anything less than 100% acceptance and adulation is viewed as bigoted and offensive. It's bizarro world

I don't care if guys feel the need to dress up as women, I don't care what other adults they have sex with, but why do they feel the need to read to our kids about it to validate their insecurities?
Do you have children? If your son comes home one day and says he wants to be a drag queen, you gonna disagree with him, or disown him? big difference.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

They're just the clowns of the early 21st century.

It's about entertainment, bringing joy, creating subcultures, pageantry, and playing with stereotypical norms.
I think it's completely lost anything to do with sexuality or gender identity.

In the late 20th century we had the WWE- which had it's own weird sexualized overmasculine tones, which people also thought was ridiculous.

Now you've got this.
Something else will take its place.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If your son comes home one day and says he wants to be a drag queen, you gonna disagree with him, or disown him?
Neither - I'll be like hey whatever floats your boat be happy. Just don't be getting angry because there's no Sunday drag Queen social at the local church

Old 05-21-2017, 10:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The biggest problem for me is that drag queens are a pretty radical, and not flattering, caricature of female standards of beauty and behavior.

And that is OK, because it is satire, but little kids don't get satire. So I think it is a bad idea to voluntarily expose kids to it.

Now, if you are walking with your kids on the street and a drag queen walks by, that's one thing. You can say that is just a guy in a costume, but inserting the drag phenomenon into your kid's worldview at such a young age on purpose seems a little bit like desperate virtue signalling.

There are plenty of opportunities to teach your child about accepting all kinds of people such as those in same-sex relationships, and even transgender issues, without getting into the over the top social commentary that drag queens are making.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,194 times
This was also a field trip for my nephew's 1st grade class. What next?!?!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaE View Post
This was also a field trip for my nephew's 1st grade class. What next?!?!
where is this library by the way? Or is DeBlasio encouraging cross dressers to read to children at all branches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City