Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times

Advertisements

I was somewhere or other in midtown the other day when I saw six cops, dressed to the hilt, armed to the teeth, carrying rifles. It just makes me nervous - either that they're there because something bad is expected to happen, or just that there's an increased likelihood that I'll get caught in some kind of crossfire.

And what makes it particularly annoying is that they're always standing around kibitzing with each other. If they wanted to act as a deterrent, why don't they pair off and patrol the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,062 times
It doesn't register a reaction out of me at all.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,103 times
If it's a busy congested area I don't see the point of why they are needed at all. Once I see them it kind of ruins the atmosphere for me when I am trying to enjoy a night out with family or friends.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,964,964 times
Do you have some less trivial questions/thoughts than to survey on a public forum...omg...

Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was somewhere or other in midtown the other day when I saw six cops, dressed to the hilt, armed to the teeth, carrying rifles. It just makes me nervous - either that they're there because something bad is expected to happen, or just that there's an increased likelihood that I'll get caught in some kind of crossfire.

And what makes it particularly annoying is that they're always standing around kibitzing with each other. If they wanted to act as a deterrent, why don't they pair off and patrol the area?
You're post makes no sense. If these cops were ready to let a few rounds go they wouldn't be kibitzing with each other.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,239 times
It's just normal to me nowadays.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

This is the trade off people wanted compared to the single beat cops we had upwards of the 70's. When I was in Bklyn a few years back at the beach one night, there were a dozen of them standing together BSing. The only thing they were deterring were bicyclists on the boardwalk.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:40 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times
Anti-Cop hysteria at it again!

I love this city with all my heart but I would love for every single cop to be absent from NYC for a full month. Not a single cop or law official to be seen or in NYC, make it a big deal. Set a date and make a huge announcement on the cops fleeing. They all go on vacation somewhere out of the city. I would love to see how this city would handle themselves without the police.

I'm not the biggest fans of cops but I respect them. There's certainly sleezy P.O.S. cops out there, I've seen and experience them. There's also some cops who are very good, well meaning cops, cops that are exemplary to the badge. For the most part, I've had very little issues with police because I respect them. And if they have a little attitude, get a little stupid I realize I have to talk to them in a different manner than I would some normal citizen. Lots of people, ESPECIALLY anti-cop people get in over their head and think they are going to win an argument with a cop. They get hysterical, the cop get angry, its gets turned up to 1000 and what do you expect?

If people learned how to handle situations with cops rather than freaking out all the time, they'll make it out. And plus, the chances of cops abusing their power on you are very, very, very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City