Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Also, Bloomberg was not really a liberal, more like an authoritarian moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Even white supremacists consider Italians white
They didn't when I was in the Army. A lot of the yokels I was in basic with had never even seen an Eye-talian before. Doesn't help that I'm mixed with Armenian which realy threw them off.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
They didn't when I was in the Army. A lot of the yokels I was in basic with had never even seen an Eye-talian before. Doesn't help that I'm mixed with Armenian which realy threw them off.
Ironically, Armenians are one of the only groups of people white supremacists can't decide are white or not

Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I get G-dale and DoomDan mixed up because I think they both live in Glendale? One I think is half Puerto Rican. In those cases I guess they feel they can choose if they can pass for white. I know plenty of Puerto Ricans that are half Italian and they usually consider themselves to be minority. The Puerto Rican mixture comes through in most cases and those trigueño features (black, Spanish and taíno) are very apparent.

In my mind, Italians, Puerto Ricans and the like are not white. Swarthy features in a lot of them means they are clearly mixed. I know there are plenty of fair skinned Italians with blue eyes and some Puerto Ricans with light skin and light eyes but still.
G-Dale is trolling. As for Italians, many people look like that across the Mediterranean (Greece,Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, and France to a degree).

Old 05-27-2017, 12:47 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm sure de Blasio realizes the importance of business. Interestingly, some people think he's a sellout to developers.
I'll give you the first point, I'd like him to reign in city spending more. As for the second point, that's simply being in touch with reality. The days of building federally funded housing projects are over. Both the fiscal and social verdict is mass concentrated urban poverty is a policy failure. Even the projects over in Europe, with their welfare net, have severe issues with unemployment and social alienation. Mixed income communities/accommodating gentrification are going to be the way forward for affordable housing in the future. No city in history was ever successful being comprised exclusively of the poor.

Quote:
I think someone more fiscally conservative could win, but if they display a molecule of Trumpism on social issues, they have no chance.
I don't think that was ever not the case in NYC. People act like NY was some red-state paradise simply for electing Guliani. it's more conservative now in many ways than during much of the 20th century. Guliani was elected because of out of control crime, not for his social views. Even here in 2017 if we went back to graffiti on the trains, kids wilding in Bryant Park in broad daylight, tourists being stabbed to death in Midtown (Brian Watkins), rampant mugging, 1500+ homicides etc we'd be right back to having a law and order mayor again.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
G-Dale is trolling. As for Italians, many people look like that across the Mediterranean (Greece,Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, and France to a degree).
What difference does it make. You're a white boy no matter what you claim. Its obvious. You got no hops.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 05-27-2017 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Name calling...

Old 05-27-2017, 07:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What's a minority? I have no idea what that is.

Clearly define yourself. You've claimed to be white and descended from European immigrants when it suited you, and you've claimed to be this or that when it suited you, all apart of your troll game.

Really I wouldn't care, but you do realize being a "minority" doesn't mean you can magically speak for, or know the experiences of all minorities? Example I'm Black but that doesn't mean I can speak out on the experiences of Pakistani or Vietnamese immigrants. I also can't speak out for the experiences of someone who grew up in NYCHA (of any race).
You are a moron. The poster called me a white boy. Sorry but I'm not. I don't care how insecure you feel in your own skin. Go get another worthless degree to try to unprove a stereotype.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
"New York City Republican Party"

What's that? I never heard of it.

Nobody has.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You are a moron. The poster called me a white boy. Sorry but I'm not. I don't care how insecure you feel in your own skin. Go get another worthless degree to try to unprove a stereotype.
My degrees have taken me far, and I love academia as we get lots of time off, and have fairly flexible schedules. Enjoy working all day with just two weeks off!

Oh yes and I will do a PhD next. Me go out for some crappy job? Not happening!

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 05-28-2017 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You've called yourself a white boy on numerous occasions, and have claimed to be Asian or Hispanics c when it suited you. Even here when you claim to be a minority you give no real definition of your ethnic heritage. You're just trolling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City