Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 9,169 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I know this is the umpteenth thread on the subject but I am just wondering if the affordable housing lottery is worth it. I was born and raised in Mitchell Lama housing and am soooo thankful for that but moving out on my own has been prohibitely expensive. I am not necessarily in a rush--say I give myself five or six years to land an apartment: would it be worth it? I make $33,000 so I am in the bracket for many studios and one bedrooms but I live in an area with virtually NO new development so hardly any CB preferences. I already got a log number in the 4xxx for one but have not been called at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
One would hope that you would set your goals a wee bit higher over the next 4 - 5 years and increase your experience, knowledge and income.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 PM

Why? I am going to school part time, working full time and caring for a parent who is seriously ill (but stable). All I have is time and, quite frankly, I am not in a rush to move out. Different people have different priorities.

Conversely, one would hope to have more of a life than making over 33,000 posts on an online forum. Now do you see how rude your post was, besides the fact that it contributed nothing?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
Keep applying for the lotteries that you qualify for, and see what happens. If you're not in a preference group that does reduce your chances, but you can't help that. Miracles do happen!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:21 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,460,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Undastood View Post
Why? I am going to school part time, working full time and caring for a parent who is seriously ill (but stable). All I have is time and, quite frankly, I am not in a rush to move out. Different people have different priorities.

Conversely, one would hope to have more of a life than making over 33,000 posts on an online forum. Now do you see how rude your post was, besides the fact that it contributed nothing?
You took someone telling you to have higher goals in life as an insult? That's part of the problem.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
There are plenty of housing lotteries for your income level. I'd keep applying for every one of the ones your income qualifies for, regardless of place. I have been called for three of these lotteries - so it's worth it.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:46 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Undastood View Post

I'm going to echo off of his statement in a different way. EVERYONE, has a shot at these lotteries if they fit the bracket. Everyone, but that's it. It's just a shot. I fit into the 60% AMI bracket, so I have had very many shots, and finally scored, but not everyone will be able to score. It's just not possible.

What he's trying to say is, it's not good to rely on sheer dumb luck. I am a person who has coasted by on life via lots of luck, and if I didn't have any luck, I wouldn't know where I'd be right now honestly. So instead of relying on luck as much, I'm relying on myself, and developing the skills I need to make it, without any luck.

A lot can happen in 5 years.
Just be open minded about every and all possibilities.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by werdywerd View Post
you took someone telling you to have higher goals in life as an insult? That's part of the problem.
+1.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You took someone telling you to have higher goals in life as an insult? That's part of the problem.
Not at all.

I took umbrage his rudeness and lack of contributing to the thread. He knows nothing about me or about my situation, so the personal insult (implying I have no other goals in life) was ridiculous. I'm going to school part time at NYU and caring for an ill parent while working full time, ffs. I have higher goals--I'm just wondering if it's even worth it in the HERE AND NOW to apply to the lotteries given that I have the luxury of time on my side. If you want to pass judgment, keep it moving.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Keep trying Miss Undastood. I turned down several before I accepted two VERY good affordability deals, leaving one for another even better deal. It WILL happen for you unless you stop trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: