Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:53 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The forum got gentrified now in its own way.....its exactly what NYC is if you really think about it. On one side, you have our have-nots, who make their lottery threads, and then you have the transplants, who ask if East New York is safe for a family of five with a dog, and then you have the natives, who are doing their best to stay...
"A tale of two cities..." Wasn't that the platform DeBlasio ran on 4 years ago? Has anything changed since then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 PM

34,014 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
"A tale of two cities..." Wasn't that the platform DeBlasio ran on 4 years ago? Has anything changed since then?
We got ferries now, not as much gun violence around my way, possession of marijuana under 25 grams is decriminalized, free pre-K...thats the only ones I could think of

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Oh man, i remember Sobroguy and HUsta718. What happen to those dudes??
Hustla is gone. sobroguy is still with us and puts in an occasional appearance under a different name. Actually he's on like his 6th or 7th name since he was Sobroguy ( went through 2 or 3 of them in a 2 week period at one point).....and he had a couple of other names before he even became sobroguy. He might hold the record for the most reincarnations on this forum. I lost track at around 10 or 12.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
I too have noticed this forum has taken a nose dive in the past 6 months. I think a lot of people just got tired of fighting with each other over Trump, race, good cops, bad cops etc.... The last thread that was decent was the Karina Veterano murder thread.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I too have noticed this forum has taken a nose dive in the past 6 months. I think a lot of people just got tired of fighting with each other over Trump, race, good cops, bad cops etc.... The last thread that was decent was the Karina Veterano murder thread.

Six months? Try almost a year or more.

Nearly half to three-quarters of all new posts fall into several distinct groups:

Low income/affordable housing/lottery/NYCHA

Post from persons who don't live in NYC wondering stupid things like "If I make (insert your favorite number here), will I have enough to live in NYC at some distant future date.

Posts from persons who moved away from NYC years or decades ago posting about something they read in the news that proves they were correct in leaving NYC.

Endless posts seeking information that could easily be found by a simple internet search or contacting the proper source directly. This includes legal information regarding everything from civil to criminal matters.

Endless posts beginning with "why", "does", "do", "what", or "whats"

And so it goes....

Old 06-01-2017, 03:19 PM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Between this profile and another one I use to have I've been a member for 7-8 years. Yes things have changed on here but so has the whole city.
I'd go back about 20 years to the late 90's I think if I could.
Personally I'd like to go back to the 60's.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes.

Remember the Saturday night massacres during reign of terror under viralmd ?
Viralmd was the quintessential old Jewish New York lady, at least thats how I pictured her. She was a hardass but me and her were cool. She was one of the original NYC MoDs.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
People in general have migrated away from message boards over the last few years because too many peoples' lives and careers have been ruined by all the Doxxing that goes on by people with with sketchy agendas. And yeah, most of the reason the lottery threads are so prevalent should be pretty obvious. Look at regular blogs though, newsites, etc... Posts and replies have tanked because of what I said in my first sentence. People are afraid to speak freely on the internet. Also, you can't even express an opinion anymore that's not popular without being called a troll. It's not so bad here, but on some websites that cater around nothing BUT groupthink? yeah, conversations and dialogue will be stifled.

I still think there's a number of funny great people in this forum though compared to some of the other forums out there.

And, yes, my butt no longer hurts about my lottery rejections. Well it hurts, but it's not PAINFUL anymore like it was for a long time. Housing Hemmroids i like to refer to it as.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The forum got gentrified now in its own way.....its exactly what NYC is if you really think about it. On one side, you have our have-nots, who make their lottery threads, and then you have the transplants, who ask if East New York is safe for a family of five with a dog, and then you have the natives, who are doing their best to stay...
Never though of it that way, but you're completely right. The forum is very indicative of the population of the city. Whether us native New Yorkers or well assimilated transplants like it or not.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Never though of it that way, but you're completely right. The forum is very indicative of the population of the city. Whether us native New Yorkers or well assimilated transplants like it or not.
Reps for you because You Get It

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: