Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's a fact there are a lot of bars, but there is not a pub on every block. You likely only walked down Katonah Avenue, which is obviously a commercial strip, and even there, there are not pubs on every block. It's a stereotype to assume that there are a lot of problems just because they exist.

There's lots of pubs in Midtown that I frequent and I have yet to experience any problems. I've also been in Woodlawn at late hours and it's been fine. Despite all of the pubs, Woodlawn is a family-oriented neighborhood, just like Midwood. People may drink at a pub, but not necessarily to become drunk. In Ireland, pubs are part of the culture in that people also go there to socialize and relax. Some go to drink but not necessarily to get smashed. It's an assumption to think that people go to pubs just to get drunk. That's more of an American thing. Is drinking a problem in the Irish culture? I'd say not any more than it is in any other culture.

If the pubs ONLY served alcohol, then you'd have a point, but I've seen all sorts of people of various ages at the pubs in Woodlawn, some clearly not old enough to drink alcohol. You need to get out more and expand your horizons.
Also, I bet the bars there are mostly old man bars and don't cause many issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 12:36 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Also, I bet the bars there are mostly old man bars and don't cause many issues.
That's correct. It's a tight knit community, so guys go there to socialize. Even at pubs in Manhattan you'll see the regulars come in for lunch to EAT, not necessarily to drink alcohol. I myself eat at pubs, and I don't always have alcohol. I'll order food and have sparkling water if anything. Pubs are basically a form of a fast food restaurant that's more casual. If you notice, there are no McDonald's or any of those things in Woodlawn, so naturally it would make more sense to have pubs.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
It's an assumption to think that people go to pubs just to get drunk. That's more of an American thing. Is drinking a problem in the Irish culture? I'd say not any more than it is in any other culture.

If you'd say that, then you'd be wrong:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...305?src=recsys

Abstract
This study compared the alcohol-use-related problems of Puerto Rican and Irish-American men: groups sometimes considered at “high risk” for the development of such problems. It was found that Irish-American men had higher lifetime prevalence rates in the following areas: excessive intake, tolerance and/or dependence, physical or psychological problems associated with alcohol misuse, and social and/or occupational problems associated with alcohol misuse. Results are discussed in terms of Puerto Rican and Irish-American risk status and the importance of appropriate comparisons in studies focused on culture/ ethnicity and alcohol consumption.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
If you'd say that, then you'd be wrong:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...305?src=recsys

Abstract
This study compared the alcohol-use-related problems of Puerto Rican and Irish-American men: groups sometimes considered at “high risk” for the development of such problems. It was found that Irish-American men had higher lifetime prevalence rates in the following areas: excessive intake, tolerance and/or dependence, physical or psychological problems associated with alcohol misuse, and social and/or occupational problems associated with alcohol misuse. Results are discussed in terms of Puerto Rican and Irish-American risk status and the importance of appropriate comparisons in studies focused on culture/ ethnicity and alcohol consumption.
So you're saying that the residents of Woodlawn are all drunkards? Well let me ask you this: Since you went to Woodlawn, did you see lots of drunkards stumbling along Katonah and along 233rd or even in Yonkers along McClean? You must've feared for your life.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
So you're saying that the residents of Woodlawn are all drunkards? Well let me ask you this: Since you went to Woodlawn, did you see lots of drunkards stumbling along Katonah and along 233rd or even in Yonkers along McClean? You must've feared for your life.
Way to hijack this thread.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Way to hijack this thread.
I didn't hijack anything. I asked a question to her comments and legitimate one given her claims, or do you think it's ok to stereotype a neighborhood that you've only been to once?

Old 06-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I never said that the residents of Woodlawn are all drunkards.
What I said is that there are a large number of bars in a small area (as I said, one on every block), which made me think that there is a lot of alcohol drinking in the neighborhood.

No, I didn't see drunkards stumbling along Katonah Avenue when I went because I went in the mid-afternoon.

I do wonder if you see a lot of drunk people stumbling around on Katonah Avenue in the evening and nighttime hours, and particularly on weekend nights though?

Old 06-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I never said that the residents of Woodlawn are all drunkards.
What I said is that there are a large number of bars in a small area (as I said, one on every block), which made me think that there is a lot of alcohol drinking in the neighborhood.

No, I didn't see drunkards stumbling along Katonah Avenue when I went because I went in the mid-afternoon.

I do wonder if you see a lot of drunk people stumbling around on Katonah Avenue in the evening and nighttime hours, and particularly on weekend nights though?
Well since you don't believe me, go at night then and see for yourself, (and again, there is not a pub on every block, not even on Katonah) and report back. I'd actually like to see you take a tour of the Bronx, but the good areas. You should check out Morris Park from roughly Bronxdale Avenue on. You'll see some pork stores and café's because well it's an Italian neighborhood. One of my favorite stores in the area is Scaglione Brothers. Love their cookies!

Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Well since you don't believe me, go at night then and see for yourself, (and again, there is not a pub on every block, not even on Katonah) and report back. I'd actually like to see you take a tour of the Bronx, but the good areas. You should check out Morris Park from roughly Bronxdale Avenue on. You'll see some pork stores and café's because well it's an Italian neighborhood. One of my favorite stores in the area is Scaglione Brothers. Love their cookies!
I'd love to check out Morris Park and other Italian areas (and other areas) of the Bronx.

Seriously, there is a pub on every block on Katonah and a pub on every block on McClean Ave. Sometimes more than one on each block!

I just can't believe there can be so many bars without any social problems in a neighborhood.
You're telling me there's no violence, no streetfights, no bar fights, no police called to the neighborhood on weekend nights?

You're telling me that there is not a higher rate of alcoholism in Woodlawn as compared to other neighborhoods in NYC?

Old 06-01-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I'd love to check out Morris Park and other Italian areas (and other areas) of the Bronx.

Seriously, there is a pub on every block on Katonah and a pub on every block on McClean Ave. Sometimes more than one on each block!

I just can't believe there can be so many bars without any social problems in a neighborhood.
You're telling me there's no violence, no streetfights, no bar fights, no police called to the neighborhood on weekend nights?

You're telling me that there is not a higher rate of alcoholism in Woodlawn as compared to other neighborhoods in NYC?
Did you read what I said earlier about Irish culture and pubs or did you just ignore that? There are quite a few cultures that I can think of that have what you would call "gathering places" for people to get together and socialize. In the Irish culture, the pub represents that, and yes they serve alcohol, but that doesn't mean that everyone going to the pub gets hammered. Finally, you clearly did not walk the entire stretch of Katonah because there is not a pub on every block. The closer to Yonkers you are it becomes more residential, so for that reason alone, you need to visit again, and please go somewhere outside of Katonah Avenue. Van Cortlandt Park encompasses the western part of the neighborhood, and Webster Avenue is also charming in parts with lots of green. The area overall if family-oriented, not some place where drunkards walk around at all hours. You yourself admitted that you didn't notice anyone acting out of order during the time there, and what you experienced is what I have experienced at all hours of the day and night. Have there been issues in the past? Yes, but is it a daily thing? No. Woodlawn is one of the safest neighborhoods in the Bronx. If it was so unruly, you would've known about it by now.

Woodlawn was featured in NYTimes and other papers:

''It's a highly family-oriented community, where the people really know each other,'' said Mrs. Losada, who is originally from Ecuador and whose husband, a translator at the United Nations, is from Spain. ''You don't even feel like you're in New York.''

Bordered by Van Cortlandt Park on the west, Woodlawn Cemetery on the south, the Bronx River Parkway and the tracks of the Metro-North Railroad on the east and the Westchester County line on the north, Woodlawn is a leafy little enclave of neat numbered streets lined with one- and two-family homes at its heart, with rental apartments, co-ops and condos on the fringes, often with lovely park or cemetery views.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/16/re...rban-feel.html

http://www.amny.com/real-estate/city...lawn-1.6889837
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City