Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I guess that's my concern. Since no bar has a perfect record, as you say, I wouldn't want one on every block!
These are basically community centers / social clubs. That's how they function as pubs is short for the original "public house." Most sell food as well and some of them do a good job of it.

They're not the same as the fratty "Irish" pubs you see in Midtown which can regularly turn into hot messes. These are not at all the same functionally. Bars and pubs can be annoying, but not everything functions the same everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:03 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
I guess that's my concern. Since no bar has a perfect record, as you say, I wouldn't want one on every block!
Let's test your every block rhetoric walking along Katonah Avenue:
Katonah & 242nd: pub? No
Katonah & 241st: pub? No
Van Cortlandt Park East: pub? No

See a pattern here?

Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
There aren't even that many bars in Woodlawn. Most of them are not on Katonah Avenue but on McLean Avenue which is a commercial strip in Yonkers at the very Northern edge. 99% of Woodlawn is about as sleepy a NYC neighborhood as you will find.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There aren't even that many bars in Woodlawn. Most of them are not on Katonah Avenue but on McLean Avenue which is a commercial strip in Yonkers at the very Northern edge. 99% of Woodlawn is about as sleepy a NYC neighborhood as you will find.
This is what I think happened... Shoshanarose walked along maybe a few blocks on Katonah saw a few bars, then assumed that Woodlawn had one on every block, not to mention that McLean Avenue is in Westchester and NOT in Woodlawn, but what do we know?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
What a way to misread my post. Libraries don't have a perfect record either. Woodlawn, bars or not, is a calm neighborhood. Unless you have some biblically based anti-alcohol phobia, Woodlawn is fine. It is one of the most quiet, most calm neighborhoods north of Staten Island.

Because of the pubs, though, Katonah Ave. bustles at night like a real town of the kind that are rarely found these days, even around the country much less NYC. It is not loud ghetto, nor one of those depressing streets where you know there are thousands of people in the buildings all around you but the street is dead. Rather it is a real community that gathers. It just happens that the pubs are the natural gathering place as it is back in the old country.

Whether you drink or not, take it upon yourself to have dinner in one of the more popular pubs (A lot of people do just this) and see for yourself what the Woodlawn scene is about.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 4,349 times
As my username suggests, I've been thinking about moving to suburbany Queens (basically it's the reason I joined this forum). G-Dale is right that a lot of QNS fits this bill, especially east of Flushing.

But if you don't want to go so far out, Maspeth, Glendale, and Forest Hills (though parts of this last one are quite expensive) are worth checking out.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:52 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
In the main shopping section (where there are lots of stores) in Woodlawn - on Katonah Avenue - there is a bar on each block.
Similarly on the McLean Avenue shopping strip.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
In the main shopping section (where there are lots of stores) in Woodlawn - on Katonah Avenue - there is a bar on each block.
Similarly on the McLean Avenue shopping strip.
There's eight total bars/pubs on all of Katonah. Hardly one on every block. Shall we count how many Kosher places there are and make assumptions of your neighborhood just because of that?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:39 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There's eight total bars/pubs on all of Katonah. Hardly one on every block. Shall we count how many Kosher places there are and make assumptions of your neighborhood just because of that?
The Katonah Avenue shopping strip is probably about 8 blocks long, tops.
So 8 bars on Katonah Avenue are one per block.

And again, if there is a kosher place every block in Midwood, that just means that Orthodox Jewish people...eat a lot of kosher food.

If there is a bar every block in Woodlawn, should we extrapolate that to mean that...Irish people drink a lot of alcohol??

Old 06-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The Katonah Avenue shopping strip is probably about 8 blocks long, tops.
So 8 bars on Katonah Avenue are one per block.

And again, if there is a kosher place every block in Midwood, that just means that Orthodox Jewish people...eat a lot of kosher food.

If there is a bar every block in Woodlawn, should we extrapolate that to mean that...Irish people drink a lot of alcohol??
As has been said numerous times now , pubs don't just serve alcohol and act as a place for people to socialize. What is so hard to understand about that? You ate at a pub. Did you drink alcohol while there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City