Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:38 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Awww, Don't be bitter about not winning. Just think, when your boss offers you a raise in 2027 you can ACCEPT it.
I typically get TWO raises a year and a bonus and I always accept it.

But even when I was a broke student working two jobs in the city, I got by just fine. And I'm talking making $26k per year plus grants and loans.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the city does need more moderately priced apartments. But the housing lotto system is the wrong approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Yet another problem with this program.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:

Gee, a stockbroker playing hast and easy with the truth...whooda thunk?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,020,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I typically get TWO raises a year and a bonus and I always accept it.

But even when I was a broke student working two jobs in the city, I got by just fine. And I'm talking making $26k per year plus grants and loans.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the city does need more moderately priced apartments. But the housing lotto system is the wrong approach.
26K per year is very little money. I think you would benefit from affordable housing, unless of course, you enjoy living in NYCHA or in rotten tenements in the Bronx crawling with mice and roaches.

Oh and by the way, everyone gets raises every year.

With your argument, why not just get rid of rent stabilized all together?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

The lotto system is okay IF the City and State hold the developers feet to the fire and make sure that income claims are verified.
I have Mitchell Lama and I had to sign a release for the co-op to have access to my last two years income tax filings...from the IRS.
I cannot imagine Mr. $100,000+ not being required to do the same.
I wonder if anyone looked into the developer being in collusion with this tenant.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Um... ok.

I have a job that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, there are people who make more money than I do.
This, though I'm not college educated.

I'm a Jr level IT Support Technician. Glassdoor says the average salary for entry level technicians runs about $40,290. I'm a little bit below the average, but am working on it. I've been faithful to the company, haven't turned down any raises and am generally happy with the job, though the salary could be a bit higher.

I can't complain, though. I am doing quite well for someone who dropped out in 9th Grade, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I made very bad choices, but my life could be much worse than it is now.

I didn't butcher myself to win an apartment. I just happened to be in the 60% bracket at the time, naturally, and went for it.

Not everyone is shooting theirselves in the foot for something that isn't even guaranteed.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM

100 posts, read 175,732 times
Quote:
I'm on the waiting list for a building managed by Clinton Management. They are SO slow. Now I see why they are taking their time processing applications.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:51 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
I'm thinking they must have tightened up the verification process since that guy scammed his way into a cheap apartment. Or else there was collusion between him and the developer. As people here know very well, the process is grueling, and you can be disqualified for an extra $75 a year.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I'm thinking they must have tightened up the verification process since that guy scammed his way into a cheap apartment. Or else there was collusion between him and the developer. As people here know very well, the process is grueling, and you can be disqualified for an extra $75 a year.
Agreed. The Whole system is inefficient and costs the city tax payers billions. At the same time, it helps so few people find and secure affordable housing that the costs are crazy.

NBC ny reported just TODAY that over 33% of those who live in "affordable housing units", subsidized by tax payers, earn an income well over the income restrictions! Some were making north of 200k per year!

It is time to end the farce that is the NYC housing lottery. We need to focus our resources on encouraging developers to build moderately priced housing inside the city and to have the city improve our public transit system. No longer should our tax money go toward subsidizing luxury buildings at tax payer expense.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Um... ok.

I mean, I'm a college educated woman - masters degree in computer science, and I have a job that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, there are people who make more money than I do - like um, lets see... Hedge fund managers???!

I support affordable lotteries. It's not that people don't want to, "better themselves" it's just that the job that they've chosen to do - because of their passion for their specific career of choice, does not pay as much as the wall streeters, nor does it compete with Prince Charles and Lady Diana hand-me-down wealth, nor baseball players salaries, nor does it do much in comparison with the Goldman Sachs kids.

Thee end.
Why not find housing somewhere you can afford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City