Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
$551 for a two bedroom? What income bracket does one have to be in to pay such a low rent? I'm aware that each year that these developers must rent rolls and certifications, is the rent pegged to salary increases?

$551 / month is considered affordable for a household making $22,040, i.e., rent is 30% of gross income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
lol - I am living in housing that I can afford. As a born-raised Manhattanite, I'm already living in the same rent stabilized apartment I got a while ago when I was only a 19 year old kid. My rent is super cheap. However, I now want bigger and better.

I can always work my field (in IT auditing) at wall street, where I can make very good money, but I am neither interested nor can I stomach the dressed up, fast paced, hypocrites and backstabber Enron-like people who work there. (Notice that my reasons have nothing to do with affordable housing)

Personally, I love coming in at 10am and leaving at 3pm. I love me my 5 hour work days, oh heck yes. You want me to work 12 hour days? Oh hellllll no. Leave that sh1t for someone else. I'm too much of a princess... and too blessed...

And what's even better, if I get the affordable housing, it'd be the cherry on top of my ice cream. STEM careers for everyone!!! It's the way to go. I've already paid my dues!

I love you stormgal.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:04 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Great post, Bugsy.

The greatness about rent-controlled is that it's not contingent on ones income. Yet, these affordable lotteries make one pay almost 50% of income.

But, rent controlled from the old school days means having to live in tenements that are not that nice, dirty and may come with problems like leaking pipes and pests.
I'm kinda feeling this. I'm probably paying much more than you are, but being rent stabilized right now, I only pay about 29-25% of my gross income at the moment in the LES. It's been great though the building itself is in a bit of disrepair, but I find after having gone to Japan twice and bringing stuff back, I'm finally running out of space lol. The subtleties also get me, like how I have infinite hot water and can sit in the shower for hours, the walls are thick and I can't hear my neighbors, the location is insanely convenient to my interests and needs down to $5 haircuts, $1 bubble tea, and 25 cent chicken wings, etc.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:22 AM

I'm finally running out of space lol

The universal problem for New Yorkers.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM

245 posts, read 197,670 times
Quote:
$551 for a two bedroom? What income bracket does one have to be in to pay such a low rent? I'm aware that each year that these developers must rent rolls and certifications, is the rent pegged to salary increases?
None my grandfather lived here since 1982. I moved in when he went into a nursing home and he passed 2 years later.
Based on my income I would pay 2600.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:28 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
None my grandfather lived here since 1982. I moved in when he went into a nursing home and he passed 2 years later.
Based on my income I would pay 2600.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Your example is why some people rail against rent stabilization system here. I'm not criticizing you personally, but I and others find it shocking that someone with a decent salary is paying such a low rent for a 2 bedroom.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Your example is why some people rail against rent stabilization system here. I'm not criticizing you personally, but I and others find it shocking that someone with a decent salary is paying such a low rent for a 2 bedroom.
I wish that people- especially transplants would stop the jealousy game already. Seriously, us native New Yorkers had to put up with this city back when it was in shambles in the 70's and 80's when all people who had money were leaving in droves. So our families hung around and now we find ourselves in rent stabilized units. Why do people give a sh1t if we make over 100k and pay 500 rent? Where were you when Ford told the city to drop dead?

And now you guys come here and get jealous when we pay little for rent although we make good money when we've always thought that transplants are the dummies for paying $3500 in rent for a leaky roach infested tenement apartment because they wanted to live some kind of imaginary lifestyle!

Sit and spin my friends. If you don't like what they pay for rent don't ask in the first place!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I wish that people- especially transplants would stop the jealousy game already. Seriously, us native New Yorkers had to put up with this city back when it was in shambles in the 70's and 80's when all people who had money were leaving in droves. So our families hung around and now we find ourselves in rent stabilized units. Why do people give a sh1t if we make over 100k and pay 500 rent? Where were you when Ford told the city to drop dead?

And now you guys come here and get jealous when we pay little for rent although we make good money when we've always thought that transplants are the dummies for paying $3500 in rent for a leaky roach infested tenement apartment because they wanted to live some kind of imaginary lifestyle!

Sit and spin my friends. If you don't like what they pay for rent don't ask in the first place!
Transplant???? Me??? lol. I don't know why you're so sensitive and attacking me with these fake labels. So someone criticizing the rent stabilization/affordable housing systems makes them jealous? You sound incredibly stupid with your assumptions. The thread is a discussion about affordable housing and one of the issues that was being discussed was making the system fairer. I did not attack nicky91, I just shared my opinion. You are free to disagree with me but don't talk like you know me.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Transplant???? Me??? lol. I don't know why you're so sensitive and attacking me with these fake labels. So someone criticizing the rent stabilization/affordable housing systems makes them jealous? You sound incredibly stupid with your assumptions. The thread is a discussion about affordable housing and one of the issues that was being discussed was making the system fairer. I did not attack nicky91, I just shared my opinion. You are free to disagree with me but don't talk like you know me.
Re-read my post. It wasn't directed at you but to a whole like-minded group of people who get jealous when others pay less for rent. But, if you're going to take offense, and try to offend me by saying I sound incredibly stupid, then get lost kid. This board is for grown ups who pay rent.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Re-read my post. It wasn't directed at you but to a whole like-minded group of people who get jealous when others pay less for rent. But, if you're going to take offense, and try to offend me by saying I sound incredibly stupid, then get lost kid. This board is for grown ups who pay rent.
and mortgage too.

I don't think ppl are jealous, I just think MOST ppl would agree that a person making a decent salary and having a good savings/investments shouldn't be paying such artificially low rents when there is a serious housing crisis here. We can debate this point like adults or you can continue with your personal attacks. Also, if you were making "good money", why are you always applying to these affordable housing lotteries? Not a personal attack just a serious question.

Quote:

Seems like you were addressing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City