Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times

Advertisements

also, see if you can get them some temporary emergency assistance, maybe some of the family members can get set up in a hotel while this blows through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Me too. I would report it the very first day I started hearing 16 feet thumping above my head as they pace back and forth waiting to use the only toilet.

I'm not really sure how condos deal with this sort of situation. But a coop would never put up with it.
This is not true. Co-ops vary and a lot of people sublet out co-ops. Different boards are simply different. Also it would take the co-op time to litigate and prove in court the situation.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is not true. Co-ops vary and a lot of people sublet out co-ops. Different boards are simply different. Also it would take the co-op time to litigate and prove in court the situation.
This is not a sublet! He's talking about having 7 additional people live with him in a one bedroom apartment.

Maybe you're right and there's some horrendous coop board out there that doesn't give one shYt about the rest of the shareholders and would allow this type of situation. My board would never in a million years put up with it.

And btw "coop board not putting up with it" includes having to take the shareholder to court to get him to stop this behavior if he did in fact move the 7 additional people in.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:54 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
lol winner of the worst advice of the day
Not at all. I wonder if you know anything about co-ops and how they function. What you're allowed to do rests in great measure on the Board.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Not at all. I wonder if you know anything about co-ops and how they function. What you're allowed to do rests in great measure on the Board.
I know exactly how they work which is why that's such utterly terrible advice. Not only will they absolutely say no while citing regulations and quality of life provisions, etc... but doing this would put you squarely in their cross hairs. They will be watching you like a hawk for the rest of your tenure and going after you on any little thing. The only way to get those people in there is to do it on the downlow and make sure the guests are quiet and respectful so that nobody complains

Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
And if I'm that neighbor I'm reporting his ass.
If I paid good money to own my apartment I'm not letting the building turn into a homeless shelter/hostel/hotel.
Agreed. But even better, move far away from places where these situations are common. Especially since in those areas, any neighbor who starts this crap will be dealt with by almost everyone. Happened here recently and we got them booted quick!

Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Asian?
Yes from look of pic on profile. Apt is probably in Flu-shing as Asian have destroyed my hometown. Don't get me wrong I am not racist & love the food. But do not like what they did there.

Last edited by loribell38; 06-15-2017 at 01:45 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 AM

Wanted to look at OP poster history before commenting.About 3 years ago he made a thread looking for immigration attorney for help with EB-1 Visa. Are all these "boarders" going to be here in our country illegally too? See this all the time with illegals...they really pack people into places. Glad you are NOT my neighbor! And NO it is not LEGAL in any shape or form. But I can see you have not returned to your thread to comment as you don't like the answers. Not what you wanted to hear. If they are here illegally that is one illegal thing. Letting them pile into your apt is illegal even if they are here legally. Not moral or fair to neighbors that have deal with the activity of all those people in a place that is not of proper square footage for that huge occupancy. Hope neighbors report & call ICE.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 AM

Let me add an FYI here. This person appears to be Asian. In Hong Kong they are used to living in what they call "cage homes". Mentioned this in this forum in the past in a few threads about Flushing,Queens where I grew up. They destroyed Flushing with this type of living. Really packing them into homes & apts. Basements/Cellars too. Turning front lawns into CEMENT parking pads!

Here is a link to explain cages homes! So Asians are accustomed to living like this! It is "normal" for them to live in closed tight spaces & packing in as many people as they can in small spaces. Same thing with all the people coming from Central America now too.

Hong Kong's metal cage homes: How tens of thousands live in 6ft by 2ft rabbit hutches | Daily Mail Online

This one is interesting. Are these luxury cage homes the answer to Hong Kong's housing problem? - CNN.com

So as you can see packing all his buddies into a real apt...is probably a luxury for all of them. Step up from living in a cage.And OP said he is "hosting" his family. So bet they will stay in his apt and over stay & hide when Visa is expired if they get one at all.

Hope condo or coop board goes after anyone doing this & packing people into apts! My bet is CO says no more than 2 or 3 people allowed.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Wanted to look at OP poster history before commenting.About 3 years ago he made a thread looking for immigration attorney for help with EB-1 Visa. Are all these "boarders" going to be here in our country illegally too? See this all the time with illegals...they really pack people into places. Glad you are NOT my neighbor! And NO it is not LEGAL in any shape or form. But I can see you have not returned to your thread to comment as you don't like the answers. Not what you wanted to hear. If they are here illegally that is one illegal thing. Letting them pile into your apt is illegal even if they are here legally. Not moral or fair to neighbors that have deal with the activity of all those people in a place that is not of proper square footage for that huge occupancy. Hope neighbors report & call ICE.
Finding an attorney for assistance with a visa indicates that a person is following proper legal channels to continue to work here. Your assumptions and accusations seem off base. It would be preferable if you just stick with the topic at hand and stop your Trump-like nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: