Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:33 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,183,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The disproportionate arrests are a problem! I would like to know the average age range of the persons arrested. An in a city where there may be serious income disparity, should this not be addressed?

I'm down the middle on this! Yes, pay the fare, (I've seen a whole lot of 'able-bodied' hop on the back of the Bx36!), but certain people, like the elderly or disabled, should get more of a break than already in existence. ($2.75 isn't a bargain for everyone!) Even the reduced rate could be a problem for an elderly on a fixed income! And is five cops ticketing an old lady with a walker a good look?
Those people are so destitute, but they have expensive clothing, sneakers and expensive cell phones. Geez talk about prioritizing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,644,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Those people are so destitute, but they have expensive clothing, sneakers and expensive cell phones. Geez talk about prioritizing....
"Able-bodied" folk, yeah, I see a lot of that! I don't see that with the elderly!

Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,570,919 times
I agree that people don't deserve to get free EVERYTHING.
I work at a healthcare organization - we provide healthcare for people and accept all insurance companies. Many of our patients are on Medicaid so their healthcare is totally free (no copay). However, we also provide free METROCARDS to people on Medicaid (presumably to help them get to and from their appointments with us).
Most appallingly, some of these patients get an attitude if there is any issue with their Metrocard (having to wait, a problem with their Medicaid account so they can't get a Metrocard, etc.). I agree that there is an attitude of entitlement. I feel that if someone is getting free healthcare (Medicaid) the least they could do might be to get themselves to and from the appointment on their own.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,554,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree that people don't deserve to get free EVERYTHING.
I work at a healthcare organization - we provide healthcare for people and accept all insurance companies. Many of our patients are on Medicaid so their healthcare is totally free (no copay). However, we also provide free METROCARDS to people on Medicaid (presumably to help them get to and from their appointments with us).
Most appallingly, some of these patients get an attitude if there is any issue with their Metrocard (having to wait, a problem with their Medicaid account so they can't get a Metrocard, etc.). I agree that there is an attitude of entitlement. I feel that if someone is getting free healthcare (Medicaid) the least they could do might be to get themselves to and from the appointment on their own.
Brightpoint Health?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
"Able-bodied" folk, yeah, I see a lot of that! I don't see that with the elderly!
As was noted, the elderly can receive half-fare Metrocards. If they can't afford half of $2.75, there's a bigger problem at play.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:17 AM

983 posts, read 924,799 times
Ideally I'd like to say a subway/bus swipe should be half price for everyone IF you are on your way to/from work and you are legally entitled to work. Full fare if you're going out for fun. But how could that be verified without massive cheating? It's impossible. So just keep the fare as it is, and maybe send pre-loaded metrocards to extremely poor people IF they have legal full time employment and pass a drug test.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Ideally I'd like to say a subway/bus swipe should be half price for everyone IF you are on your way to/from work and you are legally entitled to work. Full fare if you're going out for fun. But how could that be verified without massive cheating? It's impossible. So just keep the fare as it is, and maybe send pre-loaded metrocards to extremely poor people IF they have legal full time employment and pass a drug test.
How generous. Are you willing to pay more for such low fares?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,841,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
These aren't the people doing fare evasion. Homeless people on the other hand, probably fare evade a lot, especially the ones who sleep on the trains.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,315,411 times
No thanks. There are enough freebies.

I saw a senior citizen basically bully a bus driver to get onto a bus the other day.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
These aren't the people doing fare evasion. Homeless people on the other hand, probably fare evade a lot, especially the ones who sleep on the trains.
Umm... Yes, they ARE the one people doing the fare evasion. That's the point. If they can afford a nice cell phone, sneakers and so on, they can pay $2.75 for the fare. It's young teens and also young adults doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City