Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times

Advertisements

I do believe that the city should have a program for real low income folk to subsidize their NYC Transit expenses! I have no problem with non-profit organizations giving out free Metro Cards to folk who really need them!

I do believe folk should be paying the fare! BUT....

I feel for the elderly woman I saw on Fordham Road with a walker, getting a ticket for a no-fare entry on the Bx12 Select! Why five, count it, five, transit cops were necessary for ticketing an old lady with a walker, beats me! Folk like that, even with the reduced elderly fare, may still have a hard time affording the elderly half price!

However, if you are a young, 20-30 something, able-body who has the ability to get a job, should I have much sympathy for you if you evade the fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I do believe that the city should have a program for real low income folk to subsidize their NYC Transit expenses! I have no problem with non-profit organizations giving out free Metro Cards to folk who really need them!

I do believe folk should be paying the fare! BUT....

I feel for the elderly woman I saw on Fordham Road with a walker, getting a ticket for a no-fare entry on the Bx12 Select! Why five, count it, five, transit cops were necessary for ticketing an old lady with a walker, beats me! Folk like that, even with the reduced elderly fare, may still have a hard time affording the elderly half price!

However, if you are a young, 20-30 something, able-body who has the ability to get a job, should I have much sympathy for you if you evade the fare?
There are too many gubment programs as it is giving handouts. This would be another one that I wouldn't support.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
For the poor elderly and disabled I'd support and maybe up the height limit for kids to the avg height of a 13 year old. Also lower the fines for minors that get caught jumping the turnstile. Everyone else can get on their knees and go beg on the corner if they have to. But why is this even an issue? The first monthly metro card blue was like what $63 bucks without free transfers now like 2 decades later people want to pay less than that??? Are all deblasio voters homeless now or what?

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-08-2017 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
I'm sorry, I can't. I'm not a cruel person. But $2.75 to get anywhere in the city at any hour is a bargain. There is no excuse for fare evasion and I fully support enforcement of it. I heard on WNYC today that a disproportionate amount of black people are being arrested for this and they want NYPD to provide quarterly numbers for this. So what, NYPD is doing something wrong? Black people should be allowed to ride for free while white people pay?

Seriously, screw that. Everyone should pay. It's really not that much money and the bleeding heart people who say there should be a discount for poor people don't realize that they would pay more to make up the difference, and they are probably not willing to do that. Keep it the same and keep arresting fare dodgers.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:08 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
They want to give all these freebies. It's crazy.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
The old woman should pay. No one should ride for free.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Let's see; how many "free" things BdeB and city council have doled out to the "poor" over the past four years.

Item: Free feminine hygiene supplies

Item: Free legal representation in housing court

Item: Free legal representation in immigration court

Item: Free pre-kindergarten

Those are just off the top of one's head.

The poor/low income in NYC already are well taken care of in NYC; far better than nearly any other urban area or in many cases state in this country. At some point enough has to be enough.

NYC has always had low income persons, and somehow they managed to get themselves to work, children to school and otherwise where they needed to go. At what point does the remote idea of self-sufficiency take hold?

Didn't the city, mayor and even Albany just push through a series of minimum wage and overtime increases to "help" the working poor? Well there you are then; just what is that money supposed to be for anyway?

Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
2.75 is a good deal, even if you're making minimum wage it's pretty affordable

Old 06-09-2017, 03:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I'm sorry, I can't. I'm not a cruel person. But $2.75 to get anywhere in the city at any hour is a bargain. There is no excuse for fare evasion and I fully support enforcement of it. I heard on WNYC today that a disproportionate amount of black people are being arrested for this and they want NYPD to provide quarterly numbers for this. So what, NYPD is doing something wrong? Black people should be allowed to ride for free while white people pay?

Seriously, screw that. Everyone should pay. It's really not that much money and the bleeding heart people who say there should be a discount for poor people don't realize that they would pay more to make up the difference, and they are probably not willing to do that. Keep it the same and keep arresting fare dodgers.
The disproportionate arrests are a problem! I would like to know the average age range of the persons arrested. An in a city where there may be serious income disparity, should this not be addressed?

I'm down the middle on this! Yes, pay the fare, (I've seen a whole lot of 'able-bodied' hop on the back of the Bx36!), but certain people, like the elderly or disabled, should get more of a break than already in existence. ($2.75 isn't a bargain for everyone!) Even the reduced rate could be a problem for an elderly on a fixed income! And is five cops ticketing an old lady with a walker a good look?

Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The disproportionate arrests are a problem! I would like to know the average age range of the persons arrested. An in a city where there may be serious income disparity, should this not be addressed?

I'm down the middle on this! Yes, pay the fare, (I've seen a whole lot of 'able-bodied' hop on the back of the Bx36!), but certain people, like the elderly or disabled, should get more of a break than already in existence. ($2.75 isn't a bargain for everyone!) Even the reduced rate could be a problem for an elderly on a fixed income! And is five cops ticketing an old lady with a walker a good look?
Senior citizens and the disabled can apply for a discount card that brings fares down to $1.35 or less.

mta.info | Reduced-Fare

If the homeless and or those others you see digging through rubbish for recyclables and scrounge up money for subway or bus fare, then those who are working shouldn't complain.

Here is another novel idea; walk and or ride a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City