Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will DeBlasio get a 2nd term ??
Yes 44 49.44%
No 31 34.83%
Depends 14 15.73%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 PM

593 posts, read 470,724 times

Advertisements

Couple of alternate history points:

- What would have happened if Giuliani had been elected the first time he ran for mayor, in 1989? Would the NYC crime wave have ended earlier? Based on the murder rate statistics, peak crime occurred between 1988 and 1993. 1990 had the highest number of murders at 2245. The rate began dropping significantly in 1994 and 1995 after Giuliani was elected.

- What would have happened if conservative William F. Buckley, Jr had beaten John Lindsay in 1965? Would there even have been a crime wave? Or were larger sociological forces at play, making it inevitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nah not even. All De Blasio has to do is go to black protestant churches and Jewish synagogues. He will win.
You do know that only 20% voted last time. Now why some one cannot interest the other 80% is the fault of the GOP. But they are held hostage by that national GOP and though I know that Trump has loads of supporters on this forum, he doesn't even on the East Side.

Let a GOP candidate show strong hostility to Trump AND show that they can be an effective and compassionate mayor. I don't mean spewing socalled "progressive" rhetoric, but being serious in finding solutions that impact most NYers, housing and poor education being starters.

But the GOP dare not do so. So it will be De Blasio for mayor, and given that he will be term limited, maybe we will see him one week a month, as the remaining 3 he will spend roaming the globe, given "progressive" speeches.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
13) He's kept the tax payers money flowing to uneducated, able-bodied welfare bloodsuckers. Food stamps, Medicaid, rent supplements. This group includes sixth generation mothers with multiple kids from multiple unknown fathers. It's called the welfare culture. DeBoob loves them.

.[/quote]

Many able bodied people get food stamps and Medicaid and rent supplements.

I suggest that you learn how these "sixth generation mothers" live but they cannot in NYC based just on what you describe.

You need to face the facts but a society like NYC breeds many low wage jobs as the wealthy need restaurants, hotels, retail, and also nannies and home attendants. NONE of whom can live in NYC without the programs that you despise.

I know that you don't want a $15/hour minimum wage, but unless you support it then you will have food stamps. And I suspect most small business people would rather the food stamps/Medicaid than offering health insurance and a weekly minimum wage of $600.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You do know that only 20% voted last time. Now why some one cannot interest the other 80% is the fault of the GOP. But they are held hostage by that national GOP and though I know that Trump has loads of supporters on this forum, he doesn't even on the East Side.

Let a GOP candidate show strong hostility to Trump AND show that they can be an effective and compassionate mayor. I don't mean spewing socalled "progressive" rhetoric, but being serious in finding solutions that impact most NYers, housing and poor education being starters.

But the GOP dare not do so. So it will be De Blasio for mayor, and given that he will be term limited, maybe we will see him one week a month, as the remaining 3 he will spend roaming the globe, given "progressive" speeches.
I don't think a GOP candidate has to show hostility trump. Trump is there. The election is over. Its not like trump is doing anything major. Our institutions are holding against Steve Bannon. Obamacare didn't get repealed. Abortion hasn't been totally banned yet. We still have Amtrak. The only thing trump has accomplished is ICE actually doing their job. The russian thing does bother me though.

The gop candidate is part hispanic and a woman. She could win the election if she really played her cards right. As long as she's fiscally conservative, socially progressive, has a vision on infrastructure, and cracks down on quality of life issues, she can win. NYC will vote for GOP, just not crazy rightwing nutjobs.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 PM

329 posts, read 299,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I don't think a GOP candidate has to show hostility trump. Trump is there. The election is over. Its not like trump is doing anything major. Our institutions are holding against Steve Bannon. Obamacare didn't get repealed. Abortion hasn't been totally banned yet. We still have Amtrak. The only thing trump has accomplished is ICE actually doing their job. The russian thing does bother me though.

The gop candidate is part hispanic and a woman. She could win the election if she really played her cards right. As long as she's fiscally conservative, socially progressive, has a vision on infrastructure, and cracks down on quality of life issues, she can win. NYC will vote for GOP, just not crazy rightwing nutjobs.
She doesn't have a chance

Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
mark my words

he will be elected

we live in a city of idiots. I bet the MEDIAN IQ of this city is hovering at about 95.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
And remember... we have the best and the brightest who supposedly move here! GASP!

Old 07-26-2017, 04:03 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I despise Bloomberg. I'm not sure how he got elected three times since it seems like neither liberals or conservatives are crazy about him.
The city kept improving under him, that's how.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I despise Bloomberg. I'm not sure how he got elected three times since it seems like neither liberals or conservatives are crazy about him.

I liked that he was pragmatic and didn't adhere to any specific political ideology. For some of us, that was a plus.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
New York City deserves De Blasio (Warren Wilhelm). I love how the two NY communists, Cuomo, and De Blasio fight with each other over the most ridiculous issues. Stay in NY please!!!

Yes, he will be re-elected. The politicians reflect the populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City