Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:59 PM

77 posts, read 64,189 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I work an overnight shift in Midtown Manhattan on the weekends and live in Woodhaven, Queens. The subway system is so messed up, it took me 2+ hours to get home this morning. The R train was delayed and when I got to 57th / 7th Ave it said the next train is in 36 minutes. 36 minutes? Everything was delayed. The F, the E, the N. Everything's a mess. And the R was then running express, skipping bunch of stations. Or the F was? I don't know anymore. All I know is that it was a complete disaster, and the delays and skipping of stops was horrific. I was able to get to Queens via F, and then hop on bunch of buses and get home in temperatures reaching 90+ degrees, sleepy, angry and exhausted. This can't continue like this anymore. I've been reading the New York Times a lot lately, which has run multiple articles on how the MTA's delays have tripled in the last 5 years (look it up) to 70,000 delays since 2012. So it's not just me. I am in serious need of an express bus that runs on the weekends from Midtown to Queens. Any advice, suggestions, ideas? The MTA, with major delays and track maintenance is a hit and miss on the weekends, and I just can't rely on it anymore. Thank you for your help. I was looking at this bus (http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf), but all these maps are very, very confusing. I need an expert or someone who's done this to help me out. I believe QM15 only runs on weekdays (and the subway works fine on the weekdays for the most part). I need a nice bus that runs on the weekends. Thank you! At this point, it seems that walking is faster than the subways on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 PM

93 posts, read 215,532 times
I am not sure if you mind taking multiple buses, but the QM4 in my neighborhood is a godsend though I think you'd have to take a local Queens bus to Woodhaven from where I live (Fresh Meadows). I hate taking the train and instead of taking the E/F/R to the city I would take the bus and relax in the air conditioning and literally walk two blocks to my job when I worked in Midtown. Try going on to mta.info and looking up the bus routes!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:08 PM

77 posts, read 64,189 times
thanks. yeah. I am doing research right now and trying to figure out these really confusing maps and information. I can take Q52/53 to Queens Center Mall, and hope I can catch an a Manhattan-bound express bus from there....

Old 06-11-2017, 05:10 PM

93 posts, read 215,532 times
I'm sure there are tons of buses from Queens Center going to Manhattan. The express bus is also good because they have a set schedule and you get to sort of make work friends with the people who get on at the same time every day. It's kinda cute.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 PM

655 posts, read 1,986,380 times
if you can find your way to the intersection of Main Street and Union Turnpike, you can take the QM5 and 6.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
if you can find your way to the intersection of Main Street and Union Turnpike, you can take the QM5 and 6.
Looking at schedule, the OP would have a bus every 30 minutes between the QM5 and 6. Am thinking that is the way to go. QM4 runs until about same time. Saturday QM15 runs until 6pm but not on Sundays.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:28 AM

782 posts, read 522,892 times
See if the LIRR makes sense. On the weekends, it only costs $4.25 to travel within the city. There are frequent trains from Jamaica so you wouldn't even need to pay attention to the schedule. From Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, the trains are once or twice an hour.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:51 AM

43,313 posts, read 44,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post
I'm sure there are tons of buses from Queens Center going to Manhattan. The express bus is also good because they have a set schedule and you get to sort of make work friends with the people who get on at the same time every day. It's kinda cute.
From Queens Center Mall there is the local Q60 but it only has one stop/ its last/first stop in Manhattan near the Queensboro Bridge by 2nd Avenue.

The OP didn't mention where in Manhattan he needs to be.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:11 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From Queens Center Mall there is the local Q60 but it only has one stop/ its last/first stop in Manhattan near the Queensboro Bridge by 2nd Avenue.

The OP didn't mention where in Manhattan he needs to be.
OP specifically said "express bus". Realize you have phobia of express bus, but since OP said subway isn't working for their commute, and said Midtown, would imagine one of the Queens express bus lines would work. As others have said, QM4, 5 and 6 run Saturday and Sunday into Midtown, and QM15 runs on Saturday. Those would be closest for OP.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM

129 posts, read 268,534 times
If there is a problem with the subway, I would rather take the LIRR than the bus from Manhattan. I took the QM12 once since I moved in Forest Hills, but that was such a long ride it wasn't worth it. I also tried the Q60 from 60th street to Continental and that wasn't bad. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City