Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times

Advertisements

I don't like calling myself a transplant because I feel like that's code word for: "white person from midwest that's a yuppie or hipster and gentrifies the hood". I'm neither white or a gentrifier. There should be a different term for people like me, but I'm content with being a D.C. cat that lives in NY.

Before I moved here as an adult I've always wanted to live here. Spent a lot of time here visiting my ppls before I made the leap. NYC has always been my favorite city. Not off no fairytale BS but I've always been influenced by the culture here. I accept the good, bad, and ugly. I love the subway system as a transit enthusiast and have been to every station in the entire system + SIR. I miss certain things about the city that were present here back in the 90's and early 00's, gentrification destroys a lot homegrown culture, thank God most of the Bronx and a good slice of Brooklyn is still real to me, so does parts of Harlem and shoutout to Far Rock.

Came here with barely anything but the grind and hard work is finally starting to pay off. No complaints but I do miss living in the Bronx. Parkchester is beautiful, one of the best spots in the X. Also miss Brooklyn too. Flatbush was a cool place to live but relying on the B46 wasn't. I live in Alphabet city now on Avenue A and its just..... "Ok". I live Avenue D much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
I don't like calling myself a transplant because I feel like that's code word for: "white person from midwest that's a yuppie or hipster and gentrifies the hood". I'm neither white or a gentrifier. There should be a different term for people like me, but I'm content with being a D.C. cat that lives in NY.

Before I moved here as an adult I've always wanted to live here. Spent a lot of time here visiting my ppls before I made the leap. NYC has always been my favorite city. Not off no fairytale BS but I've always been influenced by the culture here. I accept the good, bad, and ugly. I love the subway system as a transit enthusiast and have been to every station in the entire system + SIR. I miss certain things about the city that were present here back in the 90's and early 00's, gentrification destroys a lot homegrown culture, thank God most of the Bronx and a good slice of Brooklyn is still real to me, so does parts of Harlem and shoutout to Far Rock.

Came here with barely anything but the grind and hard work is finally starting to pay off. No complaints but I do miss living in the Bronx. Parkchester is beautiful, one of the best spots in the X. Also miss Brooklyn too. Flatbush was a cool place to live but relying on the B46 wasn't. I live in Alphabet city now on Avenue A and its just..... "Ok". I live Avenue D much better.
Am here to say don't believe the hype about the subway unless you like riding in purgatory. My biggest pet peeve about transplants: using the term "green line" for the Lex line.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:

People watch YouTube videos, movies, GTA4, books, TV shows they fell in love with NYC.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Move for career opportunity.

I enjoy the high culture while I dislike how racist and segregated the city is. In addition to the the intense competition for resources and status. I miss southern and Midwest hospitality.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:

Wnyc has a segment about this. All of thr transplants love nyc. Also the Transplants have changed culture in NYC in recent decade.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 AM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
I'm not really sure if I consider myself a transplant or not, because I lived in brooklyn until I was 7 and then only 30 mins outside the city until a few years ago and my whole family besides my parents and a cousin or two lives in the city, but I basically came here for graduate school and will probably leave after because it's too expensive.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wnyc has a segment about this. All of thr transplants love nyc. Also the Transplants have changed culture in NYC in recent decade.
After playing GTA5 I fell in love with Los Angeles lol

Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Move for career opportunity.

I enjoy the high culture while I dislike how racist and segregated the city is. In addition to the the intense competition for resources and status. I miss southern and Midwest hospitality.
What cities do you find to be less segregated and racist? In fact I don't find the city to be particularly segregated, and while there are racists, I have to imagine it is no worse than any other US city. Most people here are open minded.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
You don't get to not be a transplant just because you're not white. Not that I have anything against transplants.

Some of the anti-gentrification activists do seem to use "hipster transplant" or "midwest transplant" as code word for white people in general though.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I moved here one week after 9-11. The move had already been planned and I had started paying rent on a room as of September 1, 2001. When the terror attacks happened, I had no idea what to do, but decided to come anyway. It was a very strange time. Didn't stop me from being on a high for the first year with all the excitement of finally being somewhere I felt like I belonged. However, that high definitely dissipated slowly over time and I get frustrated now along with the natives about filth, crowds, delayed trains, etc.

But I have to say that thinking about going back to a place where I was bored all the time doesn't hold much appeal either. Also I bought a coop apartment in an unhip outer borough neighborhood, so I blend in a bit with the natives sometimes. Added to that, my mother and grandparents were born in Queens, so I guess I'm sort of native-once removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City