Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
so according to you, we're limited to participating in online forums where we physically reside?

also why are you hounding me? do you always take anything said about NYC personally?

"am thinking" someone needs to get a life.
If Texas is so great, why are you in the NYC forums? You moved and now you're coming here to "gloat" about how much better things are elsewhere. Well good for you. If life was so great there, you wouldn't be here. I have a life here in NYC. You apparently don't there in Texas. People like you are a trip. You left because you can't afford NYC and now to make yourself feel better, you come back here talking about how "horrible" NYC is. You can stay in that hellhole down there. We'll stay right here in NYC. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
I wish i was invincible for a day.

I would go around squeezing tiddays. #phantomtiddaysqueezer
I would fart on the food of people eating brunch, lunch or dinner at outside cafe/restaurants.
I would set off the fire alarm of all retail stores on SoHo.
I would wait outside a bank and wait for their daily deposit and help myself.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Trying to conceptualize what the LES may turn into with Essex Crossing. I don't think it'll be so ridiculous as some people state but I have noted its changes over the last 7 years. I like the grit and it being oddly safe. Being rent stabilized skews my few on rent. Most bars I go to the craft beers are $4, wines are $5, and the whiskey/mix drinks are $4, which makes me laugh when people say NYC is expensive to do stuff in. Most places in this country it's illegal to have Happy Hour. Just, lol. I guess it is on average, but not from my 7 years living here.

I welcome the Target and Trader Joes in hopes of more grocery options (I'm getting lazier with my grocery shopping too...). I want Splittsvile as I love bowling, but on weekends I don't want to go to Times Square to do it. The Market Line sounds interesting, but I feel like it's an idealism thing that's not going to pan out well.

I still don't know how I feel about my low log number for Essex Crossing. The 'feeling' of winning a luxury apartment is great, but I can find non luxury 2bds in the neighborhood for under $3k decently easily. I might need to move to accommodate my friend who moved back to NYC, but because it's not that much cheaper, I'm not sure if it's really worth it. It'd be worth it to my friend, but hum. I'd be able to own cats though, probably.

Fck MTA.

I could buy a car 0% down and park it in a garage and still pay less monthly than all my friends. I don't know why I would, but it's something I always found funny for the last few years.

I could use my friend's need to move to Washington Heights, then buy a place in Pelham Parkway at a low maintenence. He could rent a room from me and even that will be at least half, if not more. Then over the course of 5 years have enough to downpay a coop in a neighborhood I like more, though I like Pelham Parkway. I don't want to leave Manhattan though as I really do love it here. 4 years in Brooklyn and 3 in Manhattan. I have never loved where I lived more than I have since I made the jump to the LES in 2015, so much so that I'm not sure how to handle the emotion. Lol. I do remember it a bit in 2010 though. Still decently safe, but more places with bulletproof glass. I miss going to raves and underground metal concerts.

But seriously, fck the MTA sometimes.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If Texas is so great, why are you in the NYC forums? You moved and now you're coming here to "gloat" about how much better things are elsewhere. Well good for you. If life was so great there, you wouldn't be here. I have a life here in NYC. You apparently don't there in Texas. People like you are a trip. You left because you can't afford NYC and now to make yourself feel better, you come back here talking about how "horrible" NYC is. You can stay in that hellhole down there. We'll stay right here in NYC. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Again, do I need to be phsycially there to post here? Just think about the incoherence of your posts for a minute.
Most of my posting history (if not almost entirely) on this website is in the NYC forum, and I could very well not disclose my location but I choose to do so voluntarily.
you really need to think about what's going on with you and why you keep getting ticked off by someone's honest opinion on NYC.
There's definitely someting wrong with you when you take opinions on a city as personal attacks.

Lastly, I could afford living in NYC. I lived in some of the most hip and trendy neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens (and loved it!). I just didn't think it was a good enviroment to raise kids. But that point went right over your head and instead you prefer making silly assumptions.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Trying to conceptualize what the LES may turn into with Essex Crossing. I don't think it'll be so ridiculous as some people state but I have noted its changes over the last 7 years. I like the grit and it being oddly safe. Being rent stabilized skews my few on rent. Most bars I go to the craft beers are $4, wines are $5, and the whiskey/mix drinks are $4, which makes me laugh when people say NYC is expensive to do stuff in. Most places in this country it's illegal to have Happy Hour. Just, lol. I guess it is on average, but not from my 7 years living here.

I welcome the Target and Trader Joes in hopes of more grocery options (I'm getting lazier with my grocery shopping too...). I want Splittsvile as I love bowling, but on weekends I don't want to go to Times Square to do it. The Market Line sounds interesting, but I feel like it's an idealism thing that's not going to pan out well.

I still don't know how I feel about my low log number for Essex Crossing. The 'feeling' of winning a luxury apartment is great, but I can find non luxury 2bds in the neighborhood for under $3k decently easily. I might need to move to accommodate my friend who moved back to NYC, but because it's not that much cheaper, I'm not sure if it's really worth it. It'd be worth it to my friend, but hum. I'd be able to own cats though, probably.

Fck MTA.

I could buy a car 0% down and park it in a garage and still pay less monthly than all my friends. I don't know why I would, but it's something I always found funny for the last few years.

I could use my friend's need to move to Washington Heights, then buy a place in Pelham Parkway at a low maintenence. He could rent a room from me and even that will be at least half, if not more. Then over the course of 5 years have enough to downpay a coop in a neighborhood I like more, though I like Pelham Parkway. I don't want to leave Manhattan though as I really do love it here. 4 years in Brooklyn and 3 in Manhattan. I have never loved where I lived more than I have since I made the jump to the LES in 2015, so much so that I'm not sure how to handle the emotion. Lol. I do remember it a bit in 2010 though. Still decently safe, but more places with bulletproof glass. I miss going to raves and underground metal concerts.

But seriously, fck the MTA sometimes.
Am here to say that your view on the changes is distorted. When not paying market rate rent, can tend to happen.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Again, do I need to be phsycially there to post here? Just think about the incoherence of your posts for a minute.
Most of my posting history (if not almost entirely) on this website is in the NYC forum, and I could very well not disclose my location but I choose to do so voluntarily.
you really need to think about what's going on with you and why you keep getting ticked off by someone's honest opinion on NYC.
There's definitely someting wrong with you when you take opinions on a city as personal attacks.

Lastly, I could afford living in NYC. I lived in some of the most hip and trendy neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens (and loved it!). I just didn't think it was a good enviroment to raise kids. But that point went right over your head and instead you prefer making silly assumptions.
Just so I understand, you claim that you could afford the best areas in NYC, but left because you hated the place or whatever, but now you're here to tell us how sh*tty NYC is to raise kids? Well here's a question for you: Who made you the judge and jury? I don't go into the Texas forums telling the people that live there how crappy it is to live in Texas. You don't like living in NYC anymore, fine, but stop coming here in a NYC forum trying to brag about how great Texas is. We don't care. This is a NYC forum. Everything you're complaining about is already known, so either people deal with it, or they leave. I just wish you would stop coming here making yourself sound holier than thou because you aren't. If you could really afford to live here you would and would just move elsewhere that's more kid friendly. You're not fooling anyone moving to Texas. Dirt cheap living there compared to NYC.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Just so I understand, you claim that you could afford the best areas in NYC, but left because you hated the place, but now you're here to tell us how sh*tty NYC is? Well here's a question for you: Who made you the judge and jury? I don't go into the Texas forums telling the people that live there how crappy it is to live in Texas. You don't like living in NYC anymore, fine, but stop coming here in a NYC forum trying to brag about how great Texas is. We don't care. This is a NYC forum. Everything you're complaining about is already known, so either people deal with it, or they leave. I just wish you would stop coming here making yourself sound holier than thou because you aren't.
lol!

you're a nice new addition to this forum! pretty funny actually.

Just to clarify.

1)I've never said "NYC is ****ty"

or that

2)Texas is great.

Never said any of those things, but in somehow in your little head you came up with those conclusions.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
lol!

you're a nice new addition to this forum! pretty funny actually.

Just to clarify.

1)I've never said "NYC is ****ty"

or that

2)Texas is great.

Never said any of those things, but in somehow in your little head you came up with those conclusions.
Your insinuations are nauseating:

Oh I'm NEVER coming back to NYC to live. Oh I'm VERY happy I was able to leave and not raise my kids there.

You know what you're doing... Insinuating that New Yorkers that live here and raise families are somehow idiots because they didn't "get out" like you did, as if NYC is a hellhole to raise kids. That's how you come across, and now every post is going to be about how great it is to live in Texas, even though we're in a NYC forum. Now you're soooo innocent. "Am here" to say someone is full of BS.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 AM

If you were to survey middle class new yorker families I can bet my lunch money that most would chose to leave if they had the chance to do so. Unfortunaly moving across country isn't easy or cheap so most have just resigned themselves to staying there.

Just look at the stats. When controlling for foreign immigration, NY is the state with the greatest number of people moving elsewhere.

https://mises.org/blog/california-illinois-and-new-york-keep-losing-people-other-states

Again, living in NY was(is) great for single or childless couples. But once kids come,the obscene cost of living there makes moving elsewhere a very attractive option, especially when considering places (yes, like Dallas) where the average salary is about the same as its NY counterpart.

PS:I see you edited your previous post. I used the term 'Hip or Trendy' for a good reason. I lived in Astoria, Queens which by that borough's standard is perhaps the trendiest neighborhood there is. But the schools are subpar by national standards.

"Best"is a subjective term. Bayside might be best in Queens as might be Forest Hills.

Last edited by likeminas; 06-20-2017 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: fixing paragraph

Old 06-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Am *shocked* at the post above. Was certain a follow-up was coming about why people in NYC with kids are moving in droves and how great it is, etc. ad nauseum. If we could only spread the word to all of the parents WITH kids living here in NYC just fine. Am wondering where they went wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City