Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

You are welcome to address what I posted Coney, or anyone else for that matter. My claim was not baseless.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post
Preface: I attended a predominantly Russian Jewish school in HS (Bukharians). All their parents worked in 47th Street and were fairly shady people (never paid tuition (my dad was the only one who did and we are fairly working class), taking food stamps and welfare despite making 6-7 figures.

My 'friend' at the time wanted to sell a watch. His dad is fairly connected to several Jewelers there. So he went around all over the place getting appraisals for his $5k watch. Different floors. All speaking Russian. One of the places freaked him out, so we took the train to Queens. I thought he was just paranoid.

Outside the train, we see the same guy following us in his car trying to get the watch. Fairly aggressively. I was honestly ready to call the cops. Once he said who his father was, he backed off.

Moral of the story: stay the f*** away from these people. They are dangerous. Some WILL rob you.
Queens is ground zero for Bukharian Jews. They are the highest concentration outside of Israel. Most lean towards ultra orthodox but are more traditional rather than religious. They come form the part of Russia that borders with the Middle East and Muslims. Thus their trade practices are going to be more inline with the Middle East way of doing things rather than the Western way of doing things. But as each generation comes of age, they begin to pick up the bad ways of the West or becoming Odessa Jews.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:22 PM

92 posts, read 109,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Queens is ground zero for Bukharian Jews. They are the highest concentration outside of Israel. Most lean towards ultra orthodox but are more traditional rather than religious. They come form the part of Russia that borders with the Middle East and Muslims. Thus their trade practices are going to be more inline with the Middle East way of doing things rather than the Western way of doing things. But as each generation comes of age, they begin to pick up the bad ways of the West or becoming Odessa Jews.
Ha, no kidding. Those kids were extremely spoiled, and learned the worst lessons possible from their parents. Trickery and extortion were OK if you got something out of it. That was their attitude. Some turned out ok enough. None of them really have careers now.

For the record: 98+% of Jewish people are extremely honest and mostly Americanized. It's really all about how you're raised. My parents are extremely straight arrow and raised me as such. My Bukharian peers in HS disgusted me and had no desire to interact with them. Most Jews would have a similar attitude.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Preface: I attended a predominantly Russian Jewish school in HS (Bukharians). All their parents worked in 47th Street and were fairly shady people (never paid tuition (my dad was the only one who did and we are fairly working class), taking food stamps and welfare despite making 6-7 figures.

My 'friend' at the time wanted to sell a watch. His dad is fairly connected to several Jewelers there. So he went around all over the place getting appraisals for his $5k watch. Different floors. All speaking Russian. One of the places freaked him out, so we took the train to Queens. I thought he was just paranoid.

Outside the train, we see the same guy following us in his car trying to get the watch. Fairly aggressively. I was honestly ready to call the cops. Once he said who his father was, he backed off.

Moral of the story: stay the f*** away from these people. They are dangerous. Some WILL rob you.
I don't shop for diamonds, so I'm not worried. I bought my wedding band there back in 1989, and I haven't been back since.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Ha, no kidding. Those kids were extremely spoiled, and learned the worst lessons possible from their parents. Trickery and extortion were OK if you got something out of it. That was their attitude. Some turned out ok enough. None of them really have careers now.

For the record: 98+% of Jewish people are extremely honest and mostly Americanized. It's really all about how you're raised. My parents are extremely straight arrow and raised me as such. My Bukharian peers in HS disgusted me and had no desire to interact with them. Most Jews would have a similar attitude.
I've found the Iranian & Syrian Jews who own electronics shops in midtown to be no better. Pretty much all follow a retail track as a career path.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I've found the Iranian & Syrian Jews who own electronics shops in midtown to be no better. Pretty much all follow a retail track as a career path.
As I said, they are small fringe groups. I got beaten up daily in 7th grade when I went to a predominantly Syrian Jewish school. Violent mofos.

Most Jews are either highly Americanized or are in some homogeneous Religious sect (Modern Orthodox, Satmars, Lubovitch). Religious ones might be insular and out of touch but harmless. Go shop B&H
or Adorama and you'll see they're primarially Satmar. Orthodox and 100% honest. Syrians/Bukharian are small and fringe. And yeah, best not to trust them.

Last edited by mozillameister; 06-18-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 04:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
You've never seen orthodox Jews before?

Actually, it's funny how often religion gets tangled up in hair issues. Like with Catholic nuns cutting their hair, or Sikhs not cutting theirs.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
As I said, they are small fringe groups. I got beaten up daily in 7th grade when I went to a predominantly Syrian Jewish school. Violent mofos.

Most Jews are either highly Americanized or are in some homogeneous Religious sect (Modern Orthodox, Satmars, Lubovitch). Religious ones might be insular and out of touch but harmless. Go shop B&H
or Adorama as they're primarially Satmar. Syrians/Bukharian are small and fringe. And yeah, best not to trust them.
I'm Mizrahi (formerly UO when I was younger). I know how to deal with them.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You've never seen orthodox Jews before?

Actually, it's funny how often religion gets tangled up in hair issues. Like with Catholic nuns cutting their hair, or Sikhs not cutting theirs.
Not all sects of Black Hat Orthodox have side curls.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I'm Mizrahi (formerly UO when I was younger). I know how to deal with them.
I don't. And I honestly no longer care to. Non relgious. Parents became MO when I was around 11. Went to 8 different Yeshivas trying to fit in. Too much division inside these communities over who you are. Being Jewish isn't enough for Religious Jewish people. So I refuse to care about being Jewish anymore. Too Ashkenazi. Too Sephardic. Too American. Not MO enough. Too MO. Not wearing proper clothes. Screw them.Such a superficial and guilt-laiden culture for supposed Religious folk.

/Rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City