Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:36 AM

95 posts, read 154,594 times

Advertisements

I have been considering installing central air conditioning at my home in Queens. The Home is about maybe 1500 sq ft of cooling and the contractor gave a price is $9,750 after rebates. I am getting really tired of the noise wall units produce and they are not very good at cooling.

Has anyone had experience with this? I am wondering if this is a good price. In comparison Sears quoted a price of 15K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:23 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
I have been considering installing central air conditioning at my home in Queens. The Home is about maybe 1500 sq ft of cooling and the contractor gave a price is $9,750 after rebates. I am getting really tired of the noise wall units produce and they are not very good at cooling.

Has anyone had experience with this? I am wondering if this is a good price. In comparison Sears quoted a price of 15K.
I think you should go with the split AC, it greatly reduce your electric bill, and it doesn't cost any where near 10k just to install it. In my opinion, central air conditioning is simply not worth the money unless you have a big big house, and in your case, I don't think is a house that's big enough for a central AC.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 PM

95 posts, read 154,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I think you should go with the split AC, it greatly reduce your electric bill, and it doesn't cost any where near 10k just to install it. In my opinion, central air conditioning is simply not worth the money unless you have a big big house, and in your case, I don't think is a house that's big enough for a central AC.
Well the central ac is a split unit but uses ducts. You are referring to the mini split units that don't use ducts. I have been looking into them but they actually cost more to install than a central unit. I have 4 bedrooms that will need to be cooled and the quote I got for the mini splits was ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Ductless mini-split units will tend to cost a small fortune, since you need more zones than with the ducts. The quote for a new install does not seem to be too out of line @ $9,750 for all the work necessary. If given the option, central air offers much better cooling and the ability to maintain consistent temperatures, compared to through wall and window units. If you have the option to zone the bedrooms, or the upper floor, of your house separately, that will help to make the system more efficient, though adds to the cost with the need for a second compressor unit. I would also consider evaluating the insulation in your attic, and possibly augmenting with ceiling fans, even with the central system, since that can make the operation of the system that much more efficient. I recently paid about $8k for a central air conditioning unit that malfunctioned out of warranty, so I do not think the quote around $10k is out of line at all, including ductwork needed. Refreshed insulation and a second compressor will add a bit to the cost, but can save you money over the life of the system by making it more efficient to operate, and you will not have to make the lower levels ice cold to achieve cool upper levels.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Well the central ac is a split unit but uses ducts. You are referring to the mini split units that don't use ducts. I have been looking into them but they actually cost more to install than a central unit. I have 4 bedrooms that will need to be cooled and the quote I got for the mini splits was ridiculous.
I know exactly what you mean. It happened to me when I first look for mini split units, and I found a store that sell about 1200 for each, so you looking at 4800 for 4 unit. Give it a try and go there and ask. The store name is A/C & Appliances Center at 2300 86 St Brooklyn, NY (718) 266-9600.

The store offer rebate. So, the way how it works is that they will charge you say 1200, but you get a rebate from coned for like 200 or whatever the amount is. If this deal still exist, you looking at not paying more than a 1000 for each unit. Installation is free, but just make sure tip the guys who do the installation. You don't need to pay in full when you place the order, put down a minimum deposit.

Let me know the outcome if you do decide to check it out.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Deihmos,

Are you lucky and already have ductwork in the house for forced air heating. If so, it's a no brainer to go with installing the atop your furnace and, presumably, the condenser in your back yard?

Can I assume your $9750 quote includes all equipment and labor? If so, it seems fair.

I don't like the mini-splits. Friends had it and 4 condensers and evaporators everywhere was a lot of clutter of hoses and drains and it cost them a fortune. However, if you need ductwork installed then perhaps the splits are the only option besides wall or window units.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
One thing about licensed plumbers and A/C contractors: they ain't cheap. If your house does not have forced air heating, installing new ductwork for true central air is not an option unless you are a millionaire. With the split or mini split system, you still have noisy wall units and outside compressors and there are variations in cooling penetration and uniformity. My advice: stick with what you have and replace them if they are really noisy. I recommend Friedrich Air Conditioning units. They are the best available.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM

105 posts, read 90,043 times
Installing a minisplit system for four bedrooms shouldn't cost more than 9k before rebates assuming your electrical wiring is sufficient. This is for Japanese brands. Chinese or America brands are slightly cheaper. If you are getting quoted more for that then you are getting ripped off.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:

Quote:
For your square footage it's usually (outside of NYC) $6000 for just the air handler, pump and installation. So for $4000 more that is going to be mostly labor, it sounds right if he is going do to all the duct work, correct amount of supply vents, a return vent, the electrical, the sheetrock, a digital thermostat, be licensed and insured and get all the permits necessary.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Another consideration:

Quote:
Of course, mini split AC systems do not come without their potential drawbacks. For starters, these units are not nearly as energy efficient as a forced-air system like central AC. In fact, according to Energy.gov, mini split AC units can cost 30% more to run than a central air conditioning unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: