Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 PM

18,951 posts, read 13,838,201 times

Advertisements

NJ is definitely not on the table for me due to the state taxes I'd pay in retirement that I wouldn't pay here, and the unconstitutional gun laws I'd have to follow. When I retire I plan to move within a 5-6 hour driving radius of NYC either in PA, WV, NH, VT or ME. Should my kids move further, I'll gladly go with them.

Sadly, I love NJ for other reasons. Most of my family is there. I grew up on its beaches and still use them almost every weekend in the summer. I have a beach house to use and my jetski is parked there. NJ actually has amazing deer hunting and decent fishing too, especially off-shore. But I will never give up my guns to satisfy a liberal state government, so there's no chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 02:17 PM

462 posts, read 547,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Sounds like a fairly good description of SI

Agree, and I live there!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
I don't know how long you have lived on the Island but I have been here 65 years. It is very different from years ago. Taxes are much higher in Jersey but living there is a much nicer experience. At least where I go. Simple things like shopping are better than here. I might never leave the Island to live but I sure have thought about it. I live in New Brighton and the easy access to the ferry appeals to me and what the city has to offer beckons. It remains to be determined . Should I stay or should I go. I'm retired by the way.

Depends on your lifestyle and where your family/friends etc live. Of course everyone has their own feelings but I can't imagine why anyone would retire in Staten Island unless they just wanted to be near their family. It just isn't a retirement friendly place. taxes in NJ are higher, but if you aren't really interested in Manhattan if would be much cheaper overall to live in southern NJ, again it depends on lifestyle, if you hate the beach southern NJ is probably not a good fit for you.

Of the 5 boroughs Staten Island is the best to raise a family IMO, if you take into account value for money in housing, proximity to the city and things to do for children.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
NJ is definitely not on the table for me due to the state taxes I'd pay in retirement that I wouldn't pay here, and the unconstitutional gun laws I'd have to follow. When I retire I plan to move within a 5-6 hour driving radius of NYC either in PA, WV, NH, VT or ME. Should my kids move further, I'll gladly go with them.

Sadly, I love NJ for other reasons. Most of my family is there. I grew up on its beaches and still use them almost every weekend in the summer. I have a beach house to use and my jetski is parked there. NJ actually has amazing deer hunting and decent fishing too, especially off-shore. But I will never give up my guns to satisfy a liberal state government, so there's no chance.

Yes, NY doesn't tax your pension, but you could live upstate and get the same tax treatment and houses are dirt cheap (though you lose the beach). As far as guns, not an expert by any means but doesn't NY have equally tough gun laws to NJ if not even stricter? The other states you mentioned are certainly better than SI for the hobbies that interest you. I'd personally head south as I hate the cold weather, but to each his own.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 PM

NY's are worse but I am exhempt from all for now and most during retirement. Even so, I'll probably leave the state when I retire, especially considering the PA border is roughly an hour from SI and is as gun-friendly as they come.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:50 PM

14,020 posts, read 13,838,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I take Fairfield County CT it got some nice surburbs with top rated schools, shopping areas, Access to NYC/Westchester County but you need make good money to live there

Old 06-24-2017, 10:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,728,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefffwilliams View Post
So do you really think it’s possible for me to love there years from now when I’m a graduate ? And what job would help me be successful there
You need a minimum salary of $55,000 a year to live a head above water lifestyle. IMO that's the bare minimum you can earn to live here. The taxes, tolls, rent, car insurance, gas, food utilities are all very expensive.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,877,849 times
S I has a huge drug problem affecting young people. So sad.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
S I has a huge drug problem affecting young people. So sad.
It's actually the late 20's and up crowd. Thankfully it's not as prevelent with those younger than that. Let the millennials kill themselves. It's a worthless generation anyway.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:45 PM

31,745 posts, read 26,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
You need a minimum salary of $55,000 a year to live a head above water lifestyle. IMO that's the bare minimum you can earn to live here. The taxes, tolls, rent, car insurance, gas, food utilities are all very expensive.

Median income for New York city is around $55k, give or take. However that number puts a single person squarely near poverty levels after taxes.

Once all federal, state and local deductions are done you're looking at a loss of about one third, bringing down that $55k to around $36k. Unless you are living in some sort of below market rate housing, or your parents basement it is going to be *VERY* difficult to find housing on that kind of money here in NYC.

Staten Island in particular has little rental housing and often what there is does not come cheap. Much of it is rooms or apartments in a multifamily private home which means zero protections regarding increases and whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City