Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:29 AM

252 posts, read 358,765 times

Advertisements

I get the cultural reasons to visit NY city. I get the professional reasons to live in NY.
I don't get why anyone else would want to live there though. Obviously plenty of people
don't mind the traffic, crowds, lack of living space, lack of trees..
I'm considering cities to spend a month each and would like to know what is the
appeal I'm missing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:39 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
You kind of nailed it in your OP there. I absolutely love my career. And it's basically the only thing that keeps me....well...on this coast even. The ny metropolitan area is kind of a cesspool.

For the record, I grew up here.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
I get the cultural reasons to visit NY city. I get the professional reasons to live in NY.
I don't get why anyone else would want to live there though. Obviously plenty of people
appeal I'm missing..
Don't get why you even ask. If it doesn't appeal to you just move on. Nobody is going to care one way or the other. You shouldn't ask people to talk you into something.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't get why you even ask. If it doesn't appeal to you just move on. Nobody is going to care one way or the other. You shouldn't ask people to talk you into something.

I concur.

OP, for me I can only take NYC as a part-timer. Too intense for long term living for me. But I do like my NYC fix and would miss it if I didn't get it.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
It might have something to do with different people having different preferences and circumstances, but that's a pretty wild idea so don't quote me on this.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
appeal I'm missing..
I don't know that you'd get the appeal of it by spending a month there. I'm not just born and raised in NYC but I'm 7th generation NYC. I live 2 hours away now but still go down quite often. My oldest lives and works in the City. Wife and I still go to museums and plays and have our Bronx Zoo membership, occasional Yankee game.

The traffic is what it is, that's why we jay walk and take the subway. 8 million people plus visitors is a crowd if they're in your way and you're trying to get somewhere. If you grew up here and you walk over to the park to play basketball it means there's a real good chance there's a game to get in to. Living space isn't defined by a Manhattan studio. My last apartment before I got married was a 1BR in Queens with a huge living room and bedroom. It also had a great view of all the trees. Which by the way, not only are there a lot of parks, there are a lot of trees on many of the side streets.

I was born in to the NYC life so I got to walk to HS, go to college 2 miles from home, and because of the companies based in NYC, get a job and turn it in to a professional career. My company offered me a transfer to where I am now but keep my salary. Will you get the idea in a month? Probably not. I prefer not complain about the city. Calling it a cesspool? I've lived through garbage strikes, transit strikes and worse. I'd rather think about lots of things to do, music, food, more food, parks, sports, etc.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Because it is a city. And a big city. The purpose of city is to concentrate population. A big city can increase the volume of concentration producing density. This volume creates economies of scale, which produces opportunities while utilizing shared resources. The concept is nothing new, and you should have learned it in school.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Calling it a cesspool?
Yeah man, just my opinion obviously. And not in the way that the slums of India are literally a cesspool clearly. Just in terms of the sheer density, traffic, lack of nature, lack of space, smog, rats, roaches, etc...

Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yeah man, just my opinion obviously. And not in the way that the slums of India are literally a cesspool clearly. Just in terms of the sheer density, traffic, lack of nature, lack of space, smog, rats, roaches, etc...
Why not take your beloved career elsewhere then? Sounds like you need the cesspool to survive. Money is your allure.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 PM

252 posts, read 358,765 times
I obviously touched some nerves. I didn't mean to offend. I thought maybe there was something I'm missing but the rude comments only reinforce the stereotype. Why bother to post if you don't have something to contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City