Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,740,390 times

Advertisements

Hi there, Some of you wanted me to check back and let you know how things turned out.

On Friday I signed a contract and wrote the biggest check of my life toward an apartment West of Parkchester. It's in the Archer Cooperatives. I had looked at an apartment in Brady Court which was near Morris Park, but I was outbid by a cash buyer. (Who has that kind of liquid cash? Wow. I was heart broken but realized it might be a blessing in disguise. I fell in love with Brady because of its court, but it is only something pleasant to look at, and not really used for leisure. With the new opportunity, I will now live a little closer to the city, and have much closer shopping options. I also think the 6 line may be a little better than the 5.) I still have to get through the coop board etc. but I don't think that should be a problem because I have a good income, excellent credit, no criminal record, and a stable job. So while it technically isn't a done deal, I think the likelihood of it going through is extremely strong.

Anyway, I am very excited to be joining the Bronx community. I will be unique in that this will be the fourth borough I am living in.

I think the area has so much to offer middle class people who want to have a safe place to live. The transportation is terrific. I got to Parkchester from my job in FiDi in 51 minutes. Off of Metropolitan Avenue, you have all your household needs covered with Macy's, Walgreens, Children's place, NY & Co, etc. The only thing it really lacks in eateries; or I should say eateries to my standards. This is nothing new. I'm a big foodie and particular about the quality of my food. A lot of neighborhoods are smoke and mirrors because they may have lots of restaurants but the food is crap. (Park Slope in the late 90s, Bayridge in early 2000s, Rego Park in 2003s, Ridgewood up until recently.... I never order in, unless it is Pizza.) I would love a hood that had great Asian; any kind of Asian but that has never happened.

Anyway, I also value the diversity of ages in the area. I happen to be one of those strange people who like to see both young people and elderly people. To me, that makes a neighborhood valuable and interesting. It also gives it stability.

So I think this is going to be a start of a new life for me. The complex that my apartment is situated has been a coop for a very, very long time so it has pretty stable financials as well as many long term residents. Many, many are elderly. In terms of my investment, what that means to me is that in a few years, there will be a lot of young families moving into the area, and into my coop complex in particular. (I think the Parkchester complex is similar.) Maybe better food options? (A girl can dream, especially when my daughter is older and I am not cooking as much. )

I realize technically, Archer Cooperatives isn't Parkchester because Parkchester refers to the MetLife built complex. I did a little research on the area and where I would technically be living doesn't really have a name. It's a 5 minute walk from the Parkchester train stop and all its shopping. It shares a zipcode with West Farms but it geographically separated because of the Cross Bronx. The Northern line at E. Tremont sort of divides it from Van Nest. Anyway, the area at one time used to be called Stratton Park. It would be cool if it readopted that name because the name Parkchester is really owned by its complex and the rest of the area is sort of nameless.

I have also done a lot of research on the Bronx. You'd think as a native New Yorker, I would have known more about it, but most people don't. The history is very interesting and without getting too political, the divestment in a tiny fraction of the Bronx, completely destroying the reputation of the entire borough was pure evil. We had a similar problem when I was a kid when my dad owned property in the East Village. The Redlining of neighborhoods hurt my family a great deal and we couldn't hold out long enough. Shoulda coulda woulda has a context.

Anyway, as a soon to be Bronx dweller, I look forward to getting to know the borough better. Thanks to everyone who gave me info and advice. The Bronx really is a hidden treasure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 07:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,042,481 times
Great! Happy for you. Thank you for the update.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,453,459 times
Congratulations! I did check for your post. Tell us about the apartment. How exciting!

Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,189,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Hi there, Some of you wanted me to check back and let you know how things turned out.

On Friday I signed a contract and wrote the biggest check of my life toward an apartment West of Parkchester. It's in the Archer Cooperatives. I had looked at an apartment in Brady Court which was near Morris Park, but I was outbid by a cash buyer. (Who has that kind of liquid cash? Wow. I was heart broken but realized it might be a blessing in disguise. I fell in love with Brady because of its court, but it is only something pleasant to look at, and not really used for leisure. With the new opportunity, I will now live a little closer to the city, and have much closer shopping options. I also think the 6 line may be a little better than the 5.) I still have to get through the coop board etc. but I don't think that should be a problem because I have a good income, excellent credit, no criminal record, and a stable job. So while it technically isn't a done deal, I think the likelihood of it going through is extremely strong.

Anyway, I am very excited to be joining the Bronx community. I will be unique in that this will be the fourth borough I am living in.

I think the area has so much to offer middle class people who want to have a safe place to live. The transportation is terrific. I got to Parkchester from my job in FiDi in 51 minutes. Off of Metropolitan Avenue, you have all your household needs covered with Macy's, Walgreens, Children's place, NY & Co, etc. The only thing it really lacks in eateries; or I should say eateries to my standards. This is nothing new. I'm a big foodie and particular about the quality of my food. A lot of neighborhoods are smoke and mirrors because they may have lots of restaurants but the food is crap. (Park Slope in the late 90s, Bayridge in early 2000s, Rego Park in 2003s, Ridgewood up until recently.... I never order in, unless it is Pizza.) I would love a hood that had great Asian; any kind of Asian but that has never happened.

Anyway, I also value the diversity of ages in the area. I happen to be one of those strange people who like to see both young people and elderly people. To me, that makes a neighborhood valuable and interesting. It also gives it stability.

So I think this is going to be a start of a new life for me. The complex that my apartment is situated has been a coop for a very, very long time so it has pretty stable financials as well as many long term residents. Many, many are elderly. In terms of my investment, what that means to me is that in a few years, there will be a lot of young families moving into the area, and into my coop complex in particular. (I think the Parkchester complex is similar.) Maybe better food options? (A girl can dream, especially when my daughter is older and I am not cooking as much. )

I realize technically, Archer Cooperatives isn't Parkchester because Parkchester refers to the MetLife built complex. I did a little research on the area and where I would technically be living doesn't really have a name. It's a 5 minute walk from the Parkchester train stop and all its shopping. It shares a zipcode with West Farms but it geographically separated because of the Cross Bronx. The Northern line at E. Tremont sort of divides it from Van Nest. Anyway, the area at one time used to be called Stratton Park. It would be cool if it readopted that name because the name Parkchester is really owned by its complex and the rest of the area is sort of nameless.

I have also done a lot of research on the Bronx. You'd think as a native New Yorker, I would have known more about it, but most people don't. The history is very interesting and without getting too political, the divestment in a tiny fraction of the Bronx, completely destroying the reputation of the entire borough was pure evil. We had a similar problem when I was a kid when my dad owned property in the East Village. The Redlining of neighborhoods hurt my family a great deal and we couldn't hold out long enough. Shoulda coulda woulda has a context.

Anyway, as a soon to be Bronx dweller, I look forward to getting to know the borough better. Thanks to everyone who gave me info and advice. The Bronx really is a hidden treasure.
Am here to tell you that *IS* Parkchester. Parkchester is more than just the MetLife complex. From your location, can also walk to any of the three BxM6 express bus stops. If in need of good food, can do what so many do: Take BxM6 bus to Manhattan or whatever. Can say that perhaps outside of the complex *may* be better than inside of it. Mix of people for sure.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Congratulations! I did check for your post. Tell us about the apartment. How exciting!
The 2 bedroom apartment is 875 square feet. It has a very efficient layout with an open living room/dining room area; a small hall that leads to the kitchen, bedrooms that are opposite each other with a bathroom in between. I'm pretty certain that the windows are southern exposure with the bedrooms having two exposures. (I think the 2nd is east. I'd have to go in with the compass on hand the next time I go there to be sure.) It's in very good condition and requires no immediate work.

The floors are some sort or Pergo, or Pergo like flooring above the hardwood floors. This should make it possible to avoid the 80% carpet rule. Since I have a cat, I especially am not a fan of carpeting. The kitchen is not renovated, but it was kept immaculate. I plan to strip the paint from the cabinets and refinish it in some sort of updated way. (Maybe not stain it to that 'orange" color that was so popular in the mid-20th century and either go for a dark mahogany stain, or a bleached wood coloring with updated hardware. My thinking is that the cabinets are solid, so why replace it with inferior cabinets. My ex is an expert at wood stripping and he will do it for me in exchange for back child support.)

The building has two different elevator banks which segregates the floors by north or south. That should keep the quiet down and create a level of intimacy with neighbors who I have heard are mostly elderly or young families with children. The lobby area has been renovated as well as the laundry room. There is storage in the building as well as parking via a wait list. The corporation consists of four buildings on both sides of the streets. It was built to be a coop from its inception in 1958. So there are a lot of original owners there. Each two building unit has its own private outdoor courtyard with benches and a tree or two. In my opinion, it could use a little more foliage. The maintenance is a little high for the Bronx but the electricity is included and that saves me at least 200 a month.

When I went there last on foot, Siri told me it was a 7 minute walk from the subway. I wasn't crazy about the route it chose and I plan a different route. (I can't think of any instance where walking on the auxiliary road to a highway was inviting. LOL. Now that I have a better idea on the area, I have planned a route that brings me past a drugstore and basic shops on my way home. That will make it convenient for incidentals like milk and eggs.

My daughter saw the area and immediately said, "This isn't the Bronx, this is Queens." I said, "No, this is the Bronx." She was emphatic. My dad said, "What do you expect it to look like?" She said it should be burnt out buildings etc. I told her that was a long time ago and that the Bronx is diverse, and always has been. On that rainy day, when we cruised around in the car, she saw Metropolitian Avenue. She was immediately struck by the Starbucks and the Dunkin Donuts. She was surprised by the shopping strip there comprised of a lot of brand name shopping. (I haven't lived close to any area like that in any of my life in NYC. For all that its worth living in NY, some of the most sought out neighborhoods don't have much in the line of basics. I was once living in Park Slope. I was on my way to a vacation and couldn't even buy socks locally.) I wish there was a LOT LESS close by though because a store that carries small housewares nearby is always useful. My current hood just got one, and it has such amazing offerings at a good price. I'm going to need so much of that stuff in the immediate six months after I move and while it's tempting to buy it now, I really don't want to move with it.

I also am very cognoscente that the new MetroNorth that could be built by 2022 is only a few blocks away. I read the entire proposal. With the station will come new trees and commercial development. It will be a very attractive and family friendly area; isolated by the heated real estate market happening on the western and southern flank of the Bronx. As usual, I won't be in the place that all the yuppies are 'revitalizing', but the area will benefit from that growth without the riskiness of overshooting and falling short. (Is it just me or is anyone else fearful of investing in a rapidly changing neighborhood and getting stuck with an upside-down mortgage? https://www.6sqft.com/green-living-a...t-differently/ Parkchester on the other hand is already a very stable area and that makes it extremely unlikely to ever happen.)

Closing should be around the end of August. I can't wait to move in and get started on a new chapter in my life.

Last edited by roseba; 06-25-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to tell you that *IS* Parkchester. Parkchester is more than just the MetLife complex. From your location, can also walk to any of the three BxM6 express bus stops. If in need of good food, can do what so many do: Take BxM6 bus to Manhattan or whatever. Can say that perhaps outside of the complex *may* be better than inside of it. Mix of people for sure.
Yeah, if I'm going to Manhattan for food, then I'm not lugging it back home! I'm eating it there. LOL. Good thing I am a competent cook. Even when I'm feeling lazy, a good Prosciutto and fresh Mozzarella sandwich on a bed of Arugula salad on Semolina bread... don't forget the Truffle oil... that will suit me.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if I'm going to Manhattan for food, then I'm not lugging it back home! I'm eating it there. LOL. Good thing I am a competent cook. Even when I'm feeling lazy, a good Prosciutto and fresh Mozzarella sandwich on a bed of Arugula salad on Semolina bread... don't forget the Truffle oil... that will suit me.
Here's the thing. Many use BxM6 for shopping. Buses are coach buses which means you aren't​ standing like on the subway. Can bring your bags on the bus and relax and even take a nap. Weekends can see bus filled with all types of people. Elderly, white, black, Asian, Hispanic. Usually never too crowded. Am thinking you should try it. You will like it over the subway. Can get a weekly pass for the bus with unlimited rides and also use subway or whatever.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Here's the thing. Many use BxM6 for shopping. Buses are coach buses which means you aren't​ standing like on the subway. Can bring your bags on the bus and relax and even take a nap. Weekends can see bus filled with all types of people. Elderly, white, black, Asian, Hispanic. Usually never too crowded. Am thinking you should try it. You will like it over the subway. Can get a weekly pass for the bus with unlimited rides and also use subway or whatever.
I can try it but I am not really familiar with the areas it goes. (NY changes so fast in terms of commerce, particularly restaurants. I work downtown so it's rare that I ever go above 14 street.) And yes, express buses are a joy to ride. I take them on occasion when I visit friends who live in double transportation zones. For commuting to work, it wouldn't be worth it because it doesn't go down to the Bull and Fearless girl, which is where I work.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I can try it but I am not really familiar with the areas it goes. (NY changes so fast in terms of commerce, particularly restaurants. I work downtown so it's rare that I ever go above 14 street.) And yes, express buses are a joy to ride. I take them on occasion when I visit friends who live in double transportation zones. For commuting to work, it wouldn't be worth it because it doesn't go down to the Bull and Fearless girl, which is where I work.
First stop is right by Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road and Rosedale Avenue. From there drops off right by the Parkchester subway station, then terminates at the Metropolitan Oval. Going to Manhattan, makes same stops, then stops near 125th and 2nd, 84th and 5th and continues making stops down 5th terminating at 23rd street. Can walk to any of them from your location. For shopping on weekends, is worth it.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 06-25-2017 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,226,455 times
Welcome to the Bronx. Great little neighborhood you chose.
#thetimeofthebronxhascome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City