Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Anyone looking to avoid hills is going to find their options very limited on the Rock. Staten Island is loaded with hills (ok, some of them are small mountains) including the highest point along eastern seaboard (Todt Hill).

Grew up walking, riding my bike and so forth up and down the various hills of Staten Island, myself nor anyone else had or still has any serious problems. Well if you are disabled or otherwise unable to cope due to mobility issues, that is something else.

Great thing about real estate on these many hills is that unlike living south of Hylan blvd and some other places on the Rock, it doesn't flood each time there is a heavy rain. That and you often get some fantastic views of the harbor, New Jersey and even onto Brooklyn.
Have dealt with hills too, just not as bad as some near to where the OP wants to live. If OP wants to walk to and from the ferry, am thinking that's quite the trek every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 03:13 PM

18 posts, read 15,449 times
Quote:
Anyone looking to avoid hills is going to find their options very limited on the Rock. Staten Island is loaded with hills (ok, some of them are small mountains) including the highest point along eastern seaboard (Todt Hill).

Grew up walking, riding my bike and so forth up and down the various hills of Staten Island, myself nor anyone else had or still has any serious problems. Well if you are disabled or otherwise unable to cope due to mobility issues, that is something else.

Great thing about real estate on these many hills is that unlike living south of Hylan blvd and some other places on the Rock, it doesn't flood each time there is a heavy rain. That and you often get some fantastic views of the harbor, New Jersey and even onto Brooklyn.
Are there any areas that don't require flood insurance? I've heard that can be very expensive. New Dorp Beach area seems to require.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:15 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespra View Post
Would you consider this area safe late at night? https://www.trulia.com/property/3272...sland-NY-10301 On trulia the rating seems to be in the middle. However this area does seem to be a little more populated then New Dorp. I guess with more people comes more crime..

That part of New Brighton is what it is:

LIVING IN/New Brighton, Staten Island; On Shady Streets, a Wealth of Architecture - The New York Times

NEW BRIGHTON, Staten Island - Forgotten New York

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...land-safe.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Br..._Staten_Island

No, it ain't Todt Hill, or even West Brighton, but it can (and obviously does) work for some people.

Keep in mind even with everyone going on about crime in certain areas of Staten Island, overall the rates are far lower on the Rock than elsewhere in the city. Again when it comes to the Rock you simply learn where you can go, and where you shouldn't.

You can judge for yourself by reading stats here: https://spotcrime.com/ny/staten+island/new+brighton

To put things into perspective, insert other address/areas of Staten Island you are interested in and see what comes up from above link. For instance just quickly inserted an address on Todt Hill and there were only three crimes listed; two of them were thefts of autos.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have dealt with hills too, just not as bad as some near to where the OP wants to live. If OP wants to walk to and from the ferry, am thinking that's quite the trek every day.
Definitely right. I've seen my fair share of monstrous hills as well.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:19 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:

LIVING IN/New Brighton, Staten Island; On Shady Streets, a Wealth of Architecture - The New York Times

No, it ain't Todt Hill, or even West Brighton, but it can (and obviously does) work for some people.

Keep in mind even with everyone going on about crime in certain areas of Staten Island, overall the rates are far lower on the Rock than elsewhere in the city. Again when it comes to the Rock you simply learn where you can go, and where you shouldn't.

You can judge for yourself by reading stats here: https://spotcrime.com/ny/staten+island/new+brighton

To put things into perspective, insert other address/areas of Staten Island you are interested in and see what comes up from above link. For instance just quickly inserted an address on Todt Hill and there were only three crimes listed; two of them were thefts of autos.
Am here to say that the OP should consider West Brighton. Depends on the OP's budget, but am certain they could have some options based on what they've shown thus far.

Quote:
Are there any areas that don't require flood insurance? I've heard that can be very expensive. New Dorp Beach area seems to require.
Can tell you New Dorp Beach and basically most areas in the vicinity require it. Only a few searches on Google and you're certain to find various stories or whatever on Sandy.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:24 PM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
Quote:
I live on a hill in New Brighton and I don't need it. If my house floods you can kiss NYC goodbye. You really seem to have no knowledge of the Island but are trying to find out about it. Do your research and ask questions like you are doing. A difference of four or five blocks can make all the difference in the world. My New Brighton neighborhood has some pretty rough spots and the again some very nice blocks and houses. My family has lived on mine since 61 and I moved back 20 years ago and bought my families home. it has always been a nice block. We have new people moving in and making improvements to the houses. I think it will remain a nice block. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:

How do you feel about having a home so close to the beach? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...32335650_zpid/ The crime rate seems to be lowest based on your spotcrime tool

Old 06-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Sure, plenty of them, any area that isn't south or a block or so north of Hylan blvd, Bay Street, Richmond Terrace, etc.... This and or built on or near wetlands.

Super storm Sandy shook things up in that it was probably first time in living memory water went well above Hylan blvd. Prior to that any and everyone with sense *knew* south of that street floods all the time. In fact many warned years ago when the city began to allow major development down there that it wasn't wise, but certain people had to have their taste.... Now taxpayers ended up buying many of those homes out at full pre-storm cost when they shouldn't have been allowed to be built in the first place.

Problem is Mid-Island and other areas that don't flood, also are on hills or similar terrain. So you often are caught between a rock and a hard place.

That being said there are huge swaths of SI that do not really flood. This is especially true of the older built up areas that have good sewer systems. Many of the newly built up parts of SI (and we're talking early as the 1960's to late as the 1980's or so) either have or had septic systems, and or the sewers aren't what they should be.

You really need to contact a good RE person on the Rock and spend a day or more going around various areas to get a feel for things. If you know someone with a car that is willing to drive you out there go and spend a day or days. Certainly do so at night to get a feel for areas at that time as well.

When it comes to many North and East Shore areas you can just take the ferry, then maybe a bus or just walk from there and get to know things. Bottom line is people here can give you all sorts, but you've got to see and judge things with your own eyes. Walk around, speak to locals on a block and explain you are interested in the area. If you have kids you certainly want the local low down on schools and so forth. That information is best from the horse's mouth, that is people who live in a area and have kids.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Sure, plenty of them, any area that isn't south or a block or so north of Hylan blvd, Bay Street, Richmond Terrace, etc.... This and or built on or near wetlands.

Super storm Sandy shook things up in that it was probably first time in living memory water went well above Hylan blvd. Prior to that any and everyone with sense *knew* south of that street floods all the time. In fact many warned years ago when the city began to allow major development down there that it wasn't wise, but certain people had to have their taste.... Now taxpayers ended up buying many of those homes out at full pre-storm cost when they shouldn't have been allowed to be built in the first place.

Problem is Mid-Island and other areas that don't flood, also are on hills or similar terrain. So you often are caught between a rock and a hard place.

That being said there are huge swaths of SI that do not really flood. This is especially true of the older built up areas that have good sewer systems. Many of the newly built up parts of SI (and we're talking early as the 1960's to late as the 1980's or so) either have or had septic systems, and or the sewers aren't what they should be.

You really need to contact a good RE person on the Rock and spend a day or more going around various areas to get a feel for things. If you know someone with a car that is willing to drive you out there go and spend a day or days. Certainly do so at night to get a feel for areas at that time as well.

When it comes to many North and East Shore areas you can just take the ferry, then maybe a bus or just walk from there and get to know things. Bottom line is people here can give you all sorts, but you've got to see and judge things with your own eyes. Walk around, speak to locals on a block and explain you are interested in the area. If you have kids you certainly want the local low down on schools and so forth. That information is best from the horse's mouth, that is people who live in a area and have kids.
Upon further research, it seems that most homes that don't require flood insurance are definitely not in my range when factoring in safety considerations. I didn't realize the amount of condos and private communities staten island has. With that being said how would you feel about a property like this? https://www.trulia.com/homes/New_Yor...sland-NY-10306 This is ridiculously close to the beach and I'd imagine that insurance would go up 10 fold. Finally caught on to what airborne guy was pointing out. Am also wondering when the next hurricane sandy will hit.

Last edited by jamespra; 06-30-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Upon further research, it seems that most homes that don't require flood insurance are definitely not in my range when factoring in safety considerations. I didn't realize the amount of condos and private communities staten island has. With that being said how would you feel about a property like this? https://www.trulia.com/homes/New_Yor...sland-NY-10306 This is ridiculously close to the beach and I'd imagine that insurance would go up 10 fold. Finally caught on to what airborne guy was pointing out. Am also wondering when the next hurricane sandy will hit.

Mentioned previously, but if didn't am here to tell you that yes, Staten Island is mostly private homes (single to four family), with a smattering of multi-family (condos, co-ops, apartment buildings), but the latter is a very small amount when compared to other parts of the city. Even where you do find apartments many of them are in two to three family homes. That and or people are renting out their basements or something.

This all came to light when after super storm Sandy the city and others tried to look for temporary housing for those affected. Long story short there wasn't nearly enough and many ended up going to Brooklyn, New Jersey or elsewhere for lack of rental housing on the Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City