Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:45 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The thing is there's no way some cool press releases can stop more breakdowns and power outages. The heat is going to become a forest fire that burns Cuomo's career. If he delivered billions more to the MTA today they could not fix everything by the time it's time for him to run next year.
History has shown people will rally behind someone who's "doing something" regardless wither that something is truly correct or substantial. To be fair to Cuomo, DeBlasio or any high-ranking NY offical the MTA is structurally broken and would take almost dictator-esque powers to really put right without being derailed by special interests and political intransigence.

I often wished the city had a transit-oriented Robert Moses. For all the harm he did (and was about to do), we did need many of the roads/bridges he built. The sad reality is only someone with the sweeping powers (read: unaccountable to voters) he possessed seems to be in a position to truly get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Trains not running 24/7 would destroy NYC's image and would disrupt the lives of everyone, not just those working odd hours. This isn't Boston or DC where most of the city sleeps at night and you can be get away with having a few bus lines with owl service.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
The REAL question is would you pay an extra dollar for a cleaner more reliable subway system.

I bet if it came down to paying more than the low $2.75 people would back off real quick.
$2.75 is still pretty damn cheap compared to what DC's metro charges. Its distanced based fare but most people are paying $3.00-$4.50 everytime they catch the train in DC. San Francisco Bay Area is the same way with the same set up. NYC has cheap fares both pay per ride and unlimited. Fare evasion is too easy here, I've seen so many people not pay for trains or buses in NYC. You can't get away with that anywhere else. If raising fares would help with maintenance I'd be glad to pay more but it might be pointless because more people will just fare evade.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Trains not running 24/7 would destroy NYC's image and would disrupt the lives of everyone, not just those working odd hours. This isn't Boston or DC where most of the city sleeps at night and you can be get away with having a few bus lines with owl service.
Most of NYC sleeps at night.

Seoul, Tokyo, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona. All 24hr cities without 24hr subways. One could even argue that Mew Orleans and Las Vegas are 24hr cities. After 1am, subway ridership decreases to the point where express busses, running along subway routes could pick up the slack.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:02 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Seoul, Tokyo, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona. All 24hr cities without 24hr subways. One could even argue that Mew Orleans and Las Vegas are 24hr cities. After 1am, subway ridership decreases to the point where express busses, running along subway routes could pick up the slack.
Maybe between 1am and 5am, if you run a bus every 5 minutes. I remember being on the 4 train at 4am once on a weekday morning and it was standing room only.

So what do you gain by shutting down the system? It's not like the MTA will clean all 472 stations every night. It probably costs almost as much to shut down the system for 4 hours as it does to keep it running. You need train operators to shuffle the trains back and forth from the yards to the terminal. Might still have to have personnel at stations for security reasons.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post

Oh please!

Not having 24/7 subway service would *NOT* destroy NYC's "image" of a city that does not sleep or whatever. Where do people get this stuff?

Between higher labor and other costs in case you haven't noticed aside from certain businesses in certain areas much of the city (especially Manhattan) is closing by midnight.

Used be easy finding a diner or something that was open 24/7, but no not so much. Even that Pick-A-Bagel across from Lenox Hill Hospital (a 24/7 business that supplied a steady stream of customers) now closes overnight.

Besides a majority of persons enjoying this so called "never sleeps" lifestyle don't go near subways after hours. They take Uber/car share or maybe taxis. It is really only lower and middle income employees (and sometimes not even then) that make up a bulk of after hours NYC subway ridership. Yes, you get some tourists and others, but again not many as one would think I shouldn't wonder.

All issues affecting train transit in NYC (Amtrak, NJT, Penn Station, subways, and to a lesser extent LIRR and MNR) come from systems that not only are or over 100 years old, but that they are ridden hard and get very little time for maintenance.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:59 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
No I prefer the 24/7 option as I doubt shutting down the NYC system for a few hours every day would improve its cleanliness or make it more reliable.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:04 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,377 times
Yes...I agree South Korea's subway is so nice and clean. Rides are much cheaper too...ticketing system combines Taxi subway and bus it's great. I would never ride the NYC subway past 2 am anyway

Old 07-09-2017, 07:05 AM

360 posts, read 372,220 times
At night there are probably a few trains and it is not a big expense for MTA.
I do not use my MetroCard at night. If many people need the 24/7 I doubt Tha MTA will trade it for a better service.
It would be good to have more trains during the weekdays and the weekends and have less work in progress.
Increasing the weekly pass for turists would be a good idea, not for who lives and work in New York.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

A lot of people do take advantage of the 24/7 service. Not just partiers but many who work overnight shifts. It's a huge plus to have a subway that runs at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City