Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 04:42 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,316 times

Advertisements

Can someone who has had the procedure done recommend a reputable place to me please. Preferable in Manhattan. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
I got PRK almost a decade ago. When I did my research at the time, the most reasonable price by a reputable facility was Diamond vision. Their center is located on 44th west, off 5th Avenue. Word of advice, if you are not good at following post op care to the letter, don’t get PRK. It’s cheaper but the recovery process is longer, and if you don’t take your drops right on schedule you can end up with scarring and need a folllow up surgery. That happened to me. Unless you aren’t a candidate for LASIK, avoid PRK.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I got PRK almost a decade ago. When I did my research at the time, the most reasonable price by a reputable facility was Diamond vision. Their center is located on 44th west, off 5th Avenue. Word of advice, if you are not good at following post op care to the letter, don’t get PRK. It’s cheaper but the recovery process is longer, and if you don’t take your drops right on schedule you can end up with scarring and need a folllow up surgery. That happened to me. Unless you aren’t a candidate for LASIK, avoid PRK.
I was told 2 years ago by a provider that I wasn't a LASIK candidate. I was thinking about getting another consultation from a different provider to see if my LASIK suitability was wrong. Anyways, how was your post op experience and what were the major complications?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:43 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I was told 2 years ago by a provider that I wasn't a LASIK candidate. I was thinking about getting another consultation from a different provider to see if my LASIK suitability was wrong. Anyways, how was your post op experience and what were the major complications?
It certainty doesn’t hurt to get another consultation, but it’s unlikely that you will get a different answer. The thickness of your cornea is what determines whether or not you can have LASIK, and since LASIK is the more expensive procedure, there is no reason why your provider would have mislead you. Still, consultations tend to be free so go ahead get a second or third opinion.

I did both eyes at the same time. since PRK completely removes the top layer of your eye, they place a glass contact on your eyes while they heal. You can definitely feel them. They don’t hurt, but they get really uncomfortable. You’ll have the contact for about a week after the surgery. The first 24 hrs weren’t really painful, just uncomfortable, but the 2 and 3rd day I had a burning pain on and off. They give you vidocin for the pain, but it didn’t help me much. They also give you a serious of drops including a steroid drop and artificial tears that you are supposed to take every couple of hours. You have to keep on top of the drops, and take them on the hour, every time. I wasn’t as a diligent as I should have been after the first month, and because of that, I got a lot of scarring on my right eye that required another surgery 6 months later to correct.

There are some draw backs, though. Because of how PRK works, it’s very likely that your tear ducts will be damaged, resulting in chronic dry eyes. Artificial tears are gonna be your new best friend. Second, don’t expect to have perfect vision. No matter how good you are with post-op care, because the opperation is such a severe trauma to the eye, there will be some scarring. You’re never gonna have eagle vision, but it will be good enough to not need glasses. It’s up to you to decide if these drawbacks are worth it, for me it definitely was.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:51 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Try Manhattan Lasik Center.
110 E 55th St, New York, NY 10022
You can google them about others review.
I been to that place before, is a nice office.
You should be able to get a free consultation.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:24 PM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
I had LASIK done at Diamond Vision about 5 years ago. Best decision I ever made. The surgeon was great; the doctor I saw for my post-op care was a bit of a wench but whatever. It was fine, she was just very standoffish and had a bad attitude about doing her job.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It certainty doesn’t hurt to get another consultation, but it’s unlikely that you will get a different answer. The thickness of your cornea is what determines whether or not you can have LASIK, and since LASIK is the more expensive procedure, there is no reason why your provider would have mislead you. Still, consultations tend to be free so go ahead get a second or third opinion.

I did both eyes at the same time. since PRK completely removes the top layer of your eye, they place a glass contact on your eyes while they heal. You can definitely feel them. They don’t hurt, but they get really uncomfortable. You’ll have the contact for about a week after the surgery. The first 24 hrs weren’t really painful, just uncomfortable, but the 2 and 3rd day I had a burning pain on and off. They give you vidocin for the pain, but it didn’t help me much. They also give you a serious of drops including a steroid drop and artificial tears that you are supposed to take every couple of hours. You have to keep on top of the drops, and take them on the hour, every time. I wasn’t as a diligent as I should have been after the first month, and because of that, I got a lot of scarring on my right eye that required another surgery 6 months later to correct.

There are some draw backs, though. Because of how PRK works, it’s very likely that your tear ducts will be damaged, resulting in chronic dry eyes. Artificial tears are gonna be your new best friend. Second, don’t expect to have perfect vision. No matter how good you are with post-op care, because the opperation is such a severe trauma to the eye, there will be some scarring. You’re never gonna have eagle vision, but it will be good enough to not need glasses. It’s up to you to decide if these drawbacks are worth it, for me it definitely was.
Good point, I wasn't looking at it from that angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Thanks, I will read up on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I had LASIK done at Diamond Vision about 5 years ago. Best decision I ever made. The surgeon was great; the doctor I saw for my post-op care was a bit of a wench but whatever. It was fine, she was just very standoffish and had a bad attitude about doing her job.
Thanks.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
andre,

I think you will find this article quite interesting:
Lasik Surgery: When the Fine Print Applies to You - The New York Times

Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 AM

16 posts, read 31,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
i recommend this clinic, i had lasik done back in 2011, went for a free consultation and got the procedure done the same day. i know 4 other people that had lasik done there.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
andre,

I think you will find this article quite interesting:
Lasik Surgery: When the Fine Print Applies to You - The New York Times
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City