Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't see what's wrong with a regular supermarket. They have fruits and vegetables and meat too.
Usually not good selection or quality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
A decent inexpensive supermarket would help the Bronx attract higher incomes, I think a Trader Joe's or even an Aldi might do well. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you want to spend it.

I don't think the South Bronx is ready for Whole Foods. I can see Whole Foods in Parkchester though but I don't know how well it would do.

I've never been a fan of WF and prefer TJ or Aldi more simply because I shop weekly and shop simiply.
There is a website where you can contact Trader Joe's and recommend a location for their new store - I already wrote them with a suggestion for a Trader Joe's in Parkchester. I think it would be perfect. Trader Joe's is just about the least expensive grocery store, and carries excellent food. Excellent quality for very little money - that would be so Parkchester! If enough people keep asking for it, it could happen, why not?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Usually not good selection or quality...
I mean, I haven't been to any supermarkets in The Bronx, but I've been to supermarkets that aren't super nice and they still had everything one would need and more.

And as for organic stuff, it has not been proven to be either healthier or better for the environment than conventional produce if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM

let's play a drinking game where we take shots every time pierrepont mentions Riverdale

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM

444 posts, read 387,002 times
Quote:
I don't see what's wrong with a regular supermarket. They have fruits and vegetables and meat too.
Either they have a limited selection, or food is expired. I have 3 supermarkets near me and each has one of the two issues or both.

And yes limited selection and expired food can happen anywhere.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I mean, I haven't been to any supermarkets in The Bronx, but I've been to supermarkets that aren't super nice and they still had everything one would need and more.

And as for organic stuff, it has not been proven to be either healthier or better for the environment than conventional produce if I'm not mistaken.
That's besides the point. If all that exists are cheap places, you will keep drawing the same people to the Bronx that have been moving there... Penny pinchers, and Riverdale will be the exception instead of the rule.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
That's besides the point. If all that exists are cheap places, you will keep drawing the same people to the Bronx that have been moving there... Penny pinchers, and Riverdale will be the exception instead of the rule.
the supermarkets follow the money more so than the other way around

Old 07-10-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Either they have a limited selection, or food is expired. I have 3 supermarkets near me and each has one of the two issues or both.

And yes limited selection and expired food can happen anywhere.
I wonder if it's worse in The Bronx than in Kensington (which has many lower income people), because I've never had that problem there.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:35 AM

444 posts, read 387,002 times
Quote:
No a WF makes no sense in those areas. I think it would have to be close to a place like Riverdale that's upper middle to upper class.
Why isn't there one in Riverdale? I would think that would be a great starting point for WF.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Why isn't there one in Riverdale? I would think that would be a great starting point for WF.
There was talks of opening up a Apple store in Riverdale. That was quickly shot down and luxury apartments were proposed instead. Riverdale is a bedroom community, and the residents like it quiet there and don't want the increased traffic and riff-raff from elsewhere. People think everything is perfect there, but the residents fight very hard to maintain the area as it is and are very active. That's why most of the commercial is down on Broadway, this way if people want to come downhill to shop they can or they can go to Westchester or Manhattan. Most of the commerce consists of mom and pop shops with a mix of the box stores. A Whole Foods would have to be along Broadway if anywhere or maybe North Riverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City