Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,357 times

Advertisements

I'd like to bring my Jeep and just Street Park it in the UES or worst case scenario garage it in an outer borough.

I dont need the car daily, but for the first couple months its be nice to have something to pick up furniture in, drop stuff off in storage, and when I want to snowboard/visit people beyond the city.

Im getting **** from my family though. Wanted to ask:

1) For my purposes & location, does it make sense to bring it to start or not & just rent whenever?

2) Whats the best, cost effective place to rent?
-I saw enterprise car share, maven, and budget.

Frankly, I dont see how renting is cheaper than bringing my own vehicle-even if I had to spend $200 to garage.
I cant imagine car insurance being that high, moreso if I keep it registered in VA for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:38 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
A friend had a sales position in Westchester County so she needed a car to service her customers. She lived on East 85th St. and parked her car in East Harlem for under $200/mo. near a subway stop. She would ride the subway to her car in the morning and then drive to Westchester and then reverse on the way back.
Perhaps something like that might suit your needs.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
If you cant afford a garage then best to leave it. Finding street parking anywhere in Manhattan is brutal. Especially UES. You'll also have to deal with street cleaning (moving car every few days) and NYC parking tolls which are an absolute scam. Either pay for a spot or leave it.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM

268 posts, read 240,110 times
$200 to garage? Good luck finding something under $500 a month.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I'd like to bring my Jeep and just Street Park it in the UES or worst case scenario garage it in an outer borough.

I dont need the car daily, but for the first couple months its be nice to have something to pick up furniture in, drop stuff off in storage, and when I want to snowboard/visit people beyond the city.

1) For my purposes & location, does it make sense to bring it to start or not & just rent whenever?

Frankly, I dont see how renting is cheaper than bringing my own vehicle-even if I had to spend $200 to garage.
I cant imagine car insurance being that high, moreso if I keep it registered in VA for the time being.
Depending on the area (even the outer boroughs) you might find it's more like $300+ for a garage. Maybe $200 for an outdoor driveway. But even then it may not be convenient to the subway. Before you think this is a definite option for you, you should peruse the listings on craigslist (parking and storage) and search for parking on Facebook marketplace.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 AM

48 posts, read 48,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post

They will charge you extra for an SUV so you are looking at maybe $600 - $700 a month for parking plus your insurance. If you plan on using the car regularly its nearly impossible to find street parking this time of the year considering all the days that alternate side parking gets suspended. If it was for the summer you would have better luck. All of the major car rental agencies have multiple locations in the city and if you want to save a little you could always hop on the bus to LGA.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:17 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Under $500 is very doable. Under $400 is tougher but doable. You'll need flexibility in location. Under $300? On the UES? Let me know if anyone finds it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
$200 to garage? Good luck finding something under $500 a month.
The below is true. Unless you're around during the day/week to play alternate side games, fuggedaboudit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
If you cant afford a garage then best to leave it. Finding street parking anywhere in Manhattan is brutal. Especially UES. You'll also have to deal with street cleaning (moving car every few days) and NYC parking tolls which are an absolute scam. Either pay for a spot or leave it.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM

48 posts, read 48,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Under $500 is very doable. Under $400 is tougher but doable. You'll need flexibility in location. Under $300? On the UES? Let me know if anyone finds it.

The below is true. Unless you're around during the day/week to play alternate side games, fuggedaboudit.
The OP has an SUV.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
I haven't used Zipcar much, but you might want to look into that and Enterprise car-sharing. You can get a larger vehicle if you're hauling stuff, and then not have to worry about it after you drop it off. I imagine it might be hard to get a Zipcar or Enterprise car during summer vacation season, though. But if you're flexible, it should work out fine.

In my garage I see both ZipCars and Enterprise cars. I'm going to sign up for one or both after my car lease is up in July. My garage now has two increase a year!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
My friend lives in midtown, has a car but keeps it at his brothers house in NJ. Uses it once a week when in NJ. From time to time will need a car for errands in the city and doesn't even bother with his car. Will just rent a zip car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: