Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:15 AM

444 posts, read 387,612 times

Advertisements

My BF and I went through something very similar. When we went to see an apartment on Buchanan Place, near 183rd I saw that the main front door had no lock (as in the lock was removed) and the window with fire escape access was cracked with what I thought was a bullet hole. While we LOVED the apartment I wasn't too crazy about the block upon seeing it a 3rd time. We had already given money and signed the lease. I told our broker I'm not living there and management offered a new apartment (were we are currently)

See if they have other buildings and if they can transfer you. My BF and I got the current apartment for less and they gave us part of our money back.

So don't be so quick to think all is lost.

Also BF and I have been unhappy with our neighbors in the current building (we really aren't picky. A live mouse was left on the door frame on a glue trap. Glue side down. I'm not living with people that do that. ) and management is allowing us to move. Again the rent is lower and we are getting a credit.

I've never heard of a management company doing what this one has done for us.

Landlords in the Bronx want to keep tenants who they think will pay rent. Especially if this management company recently acquired the building. Management might work with you to make you happy. Worth a try. See what else they have. Good luck.

And if you don't want to deal with management because from what you wrote they sound exactly like mine ask to be let out of the lease completely...because while we transferred we knew that management was slow and lackadaisical with doing stuff and we just deal but we know we are not renewing the lease because they SUCK as a management company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:26 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
And like I said, the South Bronx isn't the issue. Why are you so scared of the South Bronx? It sounds like you have some issues you need to deal with. Anyway, MY issue is with the management, because if I was renting an apartment in gramercy and was exposed to the same situation, I would be right here saying the same thing. And if that was the case, would you be telling me how I'm a fool for renting an apartment in gramercy? South Bronx, North Bronx, East Bronx, I don't care where I go to rent, those conditions are unacceptable anywhere.

Do you have an answer to the question I asked in the original post, because that would actually be helpful.
Am in the area regularly and have been for years, so there are no *issues*. Am just telling things the way they are, and no one in their right mind should move anywhere without doing research. How you did that is just insane. No other way to say it. You didn't check the place out on your own before agreeing? Surely you had time to during the time they were reviewing your paperwork.

There is nothing wrong with the South Bronx, other than it having a high propensity for the behavior you described, so if considering moving to another place in the area, hopefully won't be made for a fool twice.

The answer to your question is, yes, some people don't do their research before moving OR a situation arises where they need to change course. In any event, if you're allowed out of the lease, consider yourself lucky. If not, well good luck, because you will be in for a fight. You signed an agreement and you are trying to now back out of the agreement. Not saying what you experienced is ok, but certainly avoidable if you did your homework in advance.

Can take your situation up with an attorney or whatever, and show all evidence in housing court, and hope an agreement can be reached.

Can also request another apartment but with such a management company running buildings like this one, cannot imagine that they have a diversified portfolio of buildings, so I would expect much of the same, but worth giving a try or whatever.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-10-2017 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: