Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:27 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

You opened up a can of worms with this thread. Incoming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
You opened up a can of worms with this thread. Incoming!
Why so? The OP has every right to litigate against whomever she like, for however much she wants. But it will be draining, and at the end off the day she will still need a place to live.

And it is poor advice just to go after someone because they may have deep pockets. They may have the resources to defend themselves, and turn the tables on the plaintiff.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:16 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I don't know what the norm is there, but where I live it wouldn't be possible to expect a LL to include heat and hot water in the rent. It they were to accept a program like that, the rent would be increased to cover it.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:50 PM

14 posts, read 11,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I don't know what the norm is there, but where I live it wouldn't be possible to expect a LL to include heat and hot water in the rent. It they were to accept a program like that, the rent would be increased to cover it.
I've never known anyone who rented in NYC that had to pay heat and hot water unless they were renting a house.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishfromNYC View Post
I've never known anyone who rented in NYC that had to pay heat and hot water unless they were renting a house.

Interesting how things vary from area to area. It's the opposite in Oregon and most of the West. I hope you are able to find a new place. Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

Historically while not common, yes there are and or have been rental tenants who paid for their own heat and perhaps hot water.

NYC (and elsewhere such as LI or Westchester) code only requires landlords to provide the means for creating heat or hot water, it does not speak as to who will pay.

PTAC units have been around for some time and have exploded recently and developers put the things in both rentals and condos at all levels including luxury. While the supposed benefit is that residents control their own heating (or cooling) the things allow property owners to move cost of heating to a resident.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, report them. But if a case arises and you do have grounds to sue, sue. It depends on the evidence you have and whether there are sufficient damages.

These laws everyone is going on about only apply to landlords of buildings with six or more units for rent. This effectively shields single to four family homes that are rental properties from having to accept any sort of voucher.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM

I suppose in newer buildings they can do if they build in a thermostat but most older buildings don't have that function. I have a friend who lives in the Acropolis in Astoria and each building has one boiler. Same thing with my grandma's old apartment.
Even the basement I live in now only has one boiler, so I guess it's a new thing.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I suppose in newer buildings they can do if they build in a thermostat but most older buildings don't have that function. I have a friend who lives in the Acropolis in Astoria and each building has one boiler. Same thing with my grandma's old apartment.
Even the basement I live in now only has one boiler, so I guess it's a new thing.

Again PTAC units are not new; but yes many older buildings do have central boiler/hot water systems which make the idea of separate controls (and payment) moot. Well you can control heat via a thermostat and or radiator control (for steam or hot water), but not hot water.

There is also the fact by law when a service is included in the original lease, it cannot be taken away by the LL. So if the building originally had heat and hot water included with rent, LL cannot simply install PTAC units and stop supplying heat.

Main reason why you don't see more individual heat/hot water is that for the latter you'd have to find a place for boiler/water heater. Through widely see in UK, Europe and elsewhere in the world instant or even tank hot water heaters located in apartments are rare in USA. For one thing they take up space. Friends who live in a beautiful apartment building in Paris have one hot water heater in a closet near the kitchen, and another in their bedroom (also in a closet) that feeds the bathroom. IIRC heat comes from a central boiler.

While huge in Europe and elsewhere including Asia, tankless water heaters have never really caught on here in the USA.

Am guessing new residents to NYC especially those coming from places where hot water is not normally part of the rent might jump at an apartment with a reasonable rent, but they had to pay their own hot water bills.

https://patch.com/new-york/chelsea-n...-your-bathroom

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...r-heaters.html

Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 PM

Believe me sometimes having control over your own heat and hot water would have been a blessing growing up.
We lived on the top floor of a multiunit building and in the winter time waiting for the heat and hot water to get up to us was a nightmare. Gotta love prewar buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City